Author Topic: 0 and 4  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Brew

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
0 and 4
« on: September 24, 2013, 12:50:23 AM »
0 medals in 4 years.....I am interested in hearing your thoughts on what might help us achieve more success.  I understand that is subjective....what I mean is being medal competitive with the world.

I read about people calling for Greco wrestlings demise over at the the mat and I think that is silly....we aren't the center of the universe and Greco is huge In many countries....just because we as a country aren't excelling in it doesn't mean it should be eliminated.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: 0 and 4
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 05:51:51 PM »
Start looking at football players who didn't make the NFL.
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline CoachPrebes

• Junior High
    • View Profile
    • St. Christopher's School Wrestling
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 08:24:04 AM »
In my humble opinion, the USA is already behind the curve in Greco simply because of folkstyle wrestling in our country. Add in the concept that many coaches, fans, etc. do not understand Greco (meaning they don't like the sport) we continue fall behind. There are some outstanding Greco coaches in the US at the top level all the way down to high school/youth, but until the wrestling community truly buys in to the skills learned in Greco carrying over to folkstyle there will be a lack of support.

I coach folkstyle during the winter season and focus on Greco in the spring, however much of what I focus on during the winter ties into what I teach in the spring and summer. I try to show how the skills of Greco can be utilized successfully in high school wrestling. Positioning, hand fighting, mat awareness, etc. are some of the skills that Greco wrestling teaches that can help wrestlers be more successful in folkstyle. I would love to see folkstyle eliminated from high school and college so we can focus on the international styles and catch up to the rest of the world. If our wrestlers did freestyle and Greco from early on, I feel that we would close the gap on the rest of the world. I would love to see a program like what is at Northern Michigan at the high school level.

I'm a crazy Greco guy, but that's why I am Greco Moses...lol.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 09:56:41 AM »
I would love to see folkstyle eliminated from high school and college so we can focus on the international styles and catch up to the rest of the world.

In FILA We Trust.

Offline Seth_Brundle

• OW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 10:10:32 AM »
I love greco, I was indifferent to it until my son fell in love with it and along with him I learned the sport through my involvement in coaching and learning from the higher level coaches and athletes. A large part of what I love about it and my son is just how different it is from Folkstyle. The contrast I feel allows my son to change things up enough to feel like he is on a break from folkstyle. The other part of the sport that I enjoy is the raw battle. It is a blood and guts form of wrestling and when you can appreciate the subtleties of of the battle there is much more to enjoy even in a low scoring match. I enjoy the wrestling between scoring more in greco than in other styles which is actually the majority of the match.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:12:18 AM by Seth_Brundle »
Be afraid, be very afraid!

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 12:13:07 PM »
Comes down to athletes, IMO. Our best athletes are choosing not to wrestle Greco or they simply aren't choosing wrestling at all. I'm positive there are thousands of kids who have not discovered wrestling and are playing other sports or nothing at all.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline PapaBearSLIM

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 04:41:42 PM »
Comes down to athletes, IMO. Our best athletes are choosing not to wrestle Greco or they simply aren't choosing wrestling at all. I'm positive there are thousands of kids who have not discovered wrestling and are playing other sports or nothing at all.

I'm in full agreement with you here.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 04:48:05 PM »

I'm in full agreement with you here.

I second that.

mspart

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 05:00:58 PM »
Also, I'll go out on a limb and say that's where programs like NUWAY and Beat the Streets are helping our sport long term. For the longest time, the focus has only been about the top wrestlers. All our resources went towards the top. There has been little to no focus on the bottom or middle tier athletes in wrestling for years and now we're suffering because of it.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."