Author Topic: error messages  (Read 6963 times)

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: error messages
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 03:08:07 PM »
Haven't tried from my phone but had to clear them at work this morning and testing from home right now
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 07:05:09 AM »
Message still here as of 7 AM Sunday

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 07:06:01 AM »
Message still here as of 7 AM Sunday

No ability to edit, must Preview before it gets accepted.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 07:04:20 PM »
Just got it back myself Ray.  Was able to post after preview, have not cleared cookies/cache yet.
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 07:04:44 PM »
The above posted with no preview. 

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 07:17:46 PM »
CTC was still reporting issues this morning. Having to preview before posting and he has cleared his cookies.
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 09:36:51 AM »
I had to preview this morning as well.

Offline Gantry

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 09:03:02 AM »
As an FYI I was having the same issue today, some symptions:

*  TOM was open overnight, tried to reply on the Short Time Podcast thread and it said "session timed out" or something very similar. 
*  First thing I tried was to logout and it wouldn't let me do that, believe it said session verification failed
*  So I closed my browser (FF 25.0.1) and re-opened - same issue with posting and logouts
*  I do have FF reopen whatever tabs I had previously, don't know technically how that affects sessions
*  In the time it took me to find this board/thread and going back to take screenshots it fixed itself.  Maybe two minutes
*  Never nuked my cookies

Being an owner of an SMF board myself, first thing I do for all errors is to search their incredibly helpful forums for a parallel issue.  There were a few different threads, but I think  this one looks like the winner. 

Assuming TOM has access to php.ini on their webhost, you would need to change session.hash_bits_per_character from 6 to 5.  I checked my board and I have it set to 5, hopefully that'll do it.  That some post has a change you can edit in one of the SMF php files as well, maybe try that one if you can't access php.ini or it doesn't help. 

PSA - you took the footer away from SMF 2.0.6 came out a little while ago.  I think you were on 2.0.5 last time I looked, has a security update.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 11:41:31 PM »
As an FYI I was having the same issue today, some symptions:

*  TOM was open overnight, tried to reply on the Short Time Podcast thread and it said "session timed out" or something very similar. 
*  First thing I tried was to logout and it wouldn't let me do that, believe it said session verification failed
*  So I closed my browser (FF 25.0.1) and re-opened - same issue with posting and logouts
*  I do have FF reopen whatever tabs I had previously, don't know technically how that affects sessions
*  In the time it took me to find this board/thread and going back to take screenshots it fixed itself.  Maybe two minutes
*  Never nuked my cookies

Being an owner of an SMF board myself, first thing I do for all errors is to search their incredibly helpful forums for a parallel issue.  There were a few different threads, but I think  this one looks like the winner. 

Assuming TOM has access to php.ini on their webhost, you would need to change session.hash_bits_per_character from 6 to 5.  I checked my board and I have it set to 5, hopefully that'll do it.  That some post has a change you can edit in one of the SMF php files as well, maybe try that one if you can't access php.ini or it doesn't help. 

PSA - you took the footer away from SMF 2.0.6 came out a little while ago.  I think you were on 2.0.5 last time I looked, has a security update.

Thanks for the information.  Yes, we have access; I run the server.  We are on SMF 2.0.6; as a matter of fact, these problems started when we upgraded.  session.hash_bits_per_character isn't the problem.  I need to start rolling back file changes from version control, one by one, until I isolate the problem; I just haven't had time.

I may communicate with you privately about the rest.  Again, the research is appreciated.

Offline Gantry

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 12:09:38 PM »
No problem, glad to help in any way I can.  Even if you need me to use my board as a guinea pig or to confirm a setting or line of code.   

PS - a couple small issues with the themes:

* The default theme has an issue with the quick reply not respecting its margins.  See the attached, think I was on FF 25,  or maybe Aurora, the FF 27 test channel on my laptop.   It actually followed me around looking like that on other threads.

* I switched to the Curve theme and it went away.   Sticking with curve as its what I'm used to anyway but the template points to a missing image link http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr223/viratas_2008/forum-header.png - which shows attached pic #2 in the upper-left corner.