Author Topic: error messages  (Read 2956 times)

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: error messages
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 03:08:07 pm »
Haven't tried from my phone but had to clear them at work this morning and testing from home right now
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 07:05:09 am »
Message still here as of 7 AM Sunday

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 07:06:01 am »
Message still here as of 7 AM Sunday

No ability to edit, must Preview before it gets accepted.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 07:04:20 pm »
Just got it back myself Ray.  Was able to post after preview, have not cleared cookies/cache yet.
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 07:04:44 pm »
The above posted with no preview. 

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 07:17:46 pm »
CTC was still reporting issues this morning. Having to preview before posting and he has cleared his cookies.
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 09:36:51 am »
I had to preview this morning as well.

Offline Gantry

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 09:03:02 am »
As an FYI I was having the same issue today, some symptions:

*  TOM was open overnight, tried to reply on the Short Time Podcast thread and it said "session timed out" or something very similar. 
*  First thing I tried was to logout and it wouldn't let me do that, believe it said session verification failed
*  So I closed my browser (FF 25.0.1) and re-opened - same issue with posting and logouts
*  I do have FF reopen whatever tabs I had previously, don't know technically how that affects sessions
*  In the time it took me to find this board/thread and going back to take screenshots it fixed itself.  Maybe two minutes
*  Never nuked my cookies

Being an owner of an SMF board myself, first thing I do for all errors is to search their incredibly helpful forums for a parallel issue.  There were a few different threads, but I think  this one looks like the winner. 

Assuming TOM has access to php.ini on their webhost, you would need to change session.hash_bits_per_character from 6 to 5.  I checked my board and I have it set to 5, hopefully that'll do it.  That some post has a change you can edit in one of the SMF php files as well, maybe try that one if you can't access php.ini or it doesn't help. 

PSA - you took the footer away from SMF 2.0.6 came out a little while ago.  I think you were on 2.0.5 last time I looked, has a security update.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 11:41:31 pm »
As an FYI I was having the same issue today, some symptions:

*  TOM was open overnight, tried to reply on the Short Time Podcast thread and it said "session timed out" or something very similar. 
*  First thing I tried was to logout and it wouldn't let me do that, believe it said session verification failed
*  So I closed my browser (FF 25.0.1) and re-opened - same issue with posting and logouts
*  I do have FF reopen whatever tabs I had previously, don't know technically how that affects sessions
*  In the time it took me to find this board/thread and going back to take screenshots it fixed itself.  Maybe two minutes
*  Never nuked my cookies

Being an owner of an SMF board myself, first thing I do for all errors is to search their incredibly helpful forums for a parallel issue.  There were a few different threads, but I think  this one looks like the winner. 

Assuming TOM has access to php.ini on their webhost, you would need to change session.hash_bits_per_character from 6 to 5.  I checked my board and I have it set to 5, hopefully that'll do it.  That some post has a change you can edit in one of the SMF php files as well, maybe try that one if you can't access php.ini or it doesn't help. 

PSA - you took the footer away from SMF 2.0.6 came out a little while ago.  I think you were on 2.0.5 last time I looked, has a security update.

Thanks for the information.  Yes, we have access; I run the server.  We are on SMF 2.0.6; as a matter of fact, these problems started when we upgraded.  session.hash_bits_per_character isn't the problem.  I need to start rolling back file changes from version control, one by one, until I isolate the problem; I just haven't had time.

I may communicate with you privately about the rest.  Again, the research is appreciated.

Offline Gantry

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 12:09:38 pm »
No problem, glad to help in any way I can.  Even if you need me to use my board as a guinea pig or to confirm a setting or line of code.   

PS - a couple small issues with the themes:

* The default theme has an issue with the quick reply not respecting its margins.  See the attached, think I was on FF 25,  or maybe Aurora, the FF 27 test channel on my laptop.   It actually followed me around looking like that on other threads.

* I switched to the Curve theme and it went away.   Sticking with curve as its what I'm used to anyway but the template points to a missing image link http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr223/viratas_2008/forum-header.png - which shows attached pic #2 in the upper-left corner.