Author Topic: Officiating  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Officiating
« on: May 08, 2009, 11:47:02 AM »
In your individual states is there a mechanism whereby officials can review questionable calls made at local events for the sole purpose of improving the quality of officiating?
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
Re: Officiating
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 11:52:19 AM »
Quote from: "Cougar1"
In your individual states is there a mechanism whereby officials can review questionable calls made at local events for the sole purpose of improving the quality of officiating?
Heck no.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 12:36:21 PM »
We don't have enough officials during fs/gr season to be able to do that. Also, we only have a few "senior level" officials that I would want reviewing calls. It is a good idea if you are able to do it.
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 01:31:52 PM »
Quote from: "AKIN"
We don't have enough officials during fs/gr season to be able to do that. Also, we only have a few "senior level" officials that I would want reviewing calls. It is a good idea if you are able to do it.

We know there are obstacles to having enough people to do the work. What I have suggested is a private site (say on flo) where people could submit videos of questionable calls, without comment as we want to protect the refs, but where a senior official could review them. It's still in the thought process but it would give people an opportunity to put them up and give the officials an opportunity to develop their skills.

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 03:07:07 PM »
Very interesting concept. I like it.
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 06:54:59 PM »
I assume you're talking about FS? It is amazing to me how much discrepancy there is. No  matches would be called the same by 2 different officials. It has gotten way to subjective. I don't like the trends in officiating.
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 02:23:48 PM »
Quote from: "drmuscle"
I assume you're talking about FS? It is amazing to me how much discrepancy there is. No  matches would be called the same by 2 different officials. It has gotten way to subjective. I don't like the trends in officiating.

Yes, FS and G. One of my friends, who is a ref, was watching his son wrestle. Nick threw his opponent and the ref called it five. It looked like three to me as he started for five and bailed out. I asked him later what he thought..."it was a three". It seems if they were all learning from the same videos there would be opportunity for uniformity.

― G.K. Chesterton