Author Topic: Hmmmm....  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Brew

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Hmmmm....
« on: December 01, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
One would think we would know if our athletes that were traveling overseas would be able to compete before a trip of that magnitude is completed.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2013/November/30/Snyder-Jensen-earn-bronze-at-Henri-Deglane-Challenge

Bo Nickal and Stevan Micic were only able to wrestle one exhibition match a piece.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Hmmmm....
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 10:15:23 PM »
That does suck. And I wonder how much money it cost for them to go over there for one exhibition match?
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline Brew

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 10:29:05 PM »
That was a question of mine as well. As tremendous as micic and nickal are it would seem to be prudent to take athletes that would be able to gain the experience. 
And before someone says that is what they were trying to do...i say they should have known. 

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 03:36:30 PM »
To me, I think how international wrestling does things, when it comes to competing, is a huge waste of money. They are only guaranteed one match. Seems wasteful.

I'd like them to do more duals, so they can get more bang for their buck.

Also, why haven't we started a RTC Dual Championships?
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 08:22:31 AM »
To me, I think how international wrestling does things, when it comes to competing, is a huge waste of money. They are only guaranteed one match. Seems wasteful.

More country vs. country dual meets would be cool.

The commonwealth championships start this week. Some countries are sending full rosters, but Jamaica is only sending one wrestler. Good on that guy, but it also means the numbers in each weightclass will be rather erratic.

Wonder if they could get more wrestlers if they had dual meets such as Jamaica vs. Nigeria.

Offline PapaBearSLIM

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 05:50:02 PM »

The commonwealth championships start this week. Some countries are sending full rosters, but Jamaica is only sending one wrestler. Good on that guy, but it also means the numbers in each weightclass will be rather erratic.

Wonder if they could get more wrestlers if they had dual meets such as Jamaica vs. Nigeria.

Why that match up? What would be the appeal or connection there?

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 09:59:18 PM »

Why that match up? What would be the appeal or connection there?

Jamaica and Nigeria are both competing at the Commonwealth Championships this week. Nigeria is bringing a full roster. Jamaica is not. 

I am hoping that if there are more dual meets, more teams will be able to bring more wrestlers to compete.

Offline Brew

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 10:01:25 PM »
That would be cool...a country vs country team dual world championship double elimination tournament.....actually that would be awesome!

Offline kingpeezy

• OW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 11:37:39 AM »
That would be cool...a country vs country team dual world championship double elimination tournament.....actually that would be awesome!

Isn't that what the World Cup basically is? I don't think it's double elimination but isn't it essentially a 'World Dual Champion'?

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 12:34:28 PM »

The dual meets back in May that comprised of USA, Russia, and Iran garndered a lot of positive attention and the layman can more easily understand a dual meet vs. tournament scoring. Not to mention it is easier to televise a dual meet compared to a tournament.

I wonder if more dual meet country matches can help introduce wrestling to the "non wrestling viewer"

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 03:26:02 AM »
Is there qualifying for the wrestling World Cup?  Perhaps having each area of the world wrestling each other to qualify for the finals would spark interest.  Local rivalries are good for the sport, early rounds would allow lower level programs to compete and maybe one would make a run now and then.  This is one thing I think soccer has done very well.

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 12:33:06 PM »
Is there qualifying for the wrestling World Cup?  Perhaps having each area of the world wrestling each other to qualify for the finals would spark interest.  Local rivalries are good for the sport, early rounds would allow lower level programs to compete and maybe one would make a run now and then.  This is one thing I think soccer has done very well.

Most certainly. 

India vs, Pkistan wrestling matches make quite a bit press there  (even in cricket dominated sports cultures)

Same with Senegal and Gambia too.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 12:53:30 AM »
We should have a team from Russia here every other month.  Then we should go there the other months.  And wrestle wrestle wrestle!

mspart

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 05:50:23 PM »
One would think we would know if our athletes that were traveling overseas would be able to compete before a trip of that magnitude is completed.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2013/November/30/Snyder-Jensen-earn-bronze-at-Henri-Deglane-Challenge

Bo Nickal and Stevan Micic were only able to wrestle one exhibition match a piece.

Obviously not enough vowels in their last names.
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb