Author Topic: "Let's Grow The Sport"  (Read 2089 times)

Offline ban basketball

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
"Let's Grow The Sport"
« on: January 23, 2014, 03:32:11 PM »
I would have posted this "over there," as people would likely reply to it and have more interest in it, but, due to their goofy pixel limits, it simply won't work.  So...

...I've already addressed how UNI literally cannot "grow the sport" anymore, due to the fact that the decision has been made that they are going to stay in the West Gym, come hell or high water, so we are only limited to 2,200 people to be able to watch the sport.  Hence, the sport will "stagnate," until some down years return.

With that said, it's interesting to note that we talk of the "crisis" that we are in to grow the sport more and that we have a "dying sport," but that's a tough sell when you contrast these two pictures.  The old one is the 1950 NCAA's in the West Gym (note the vacant seats), and the other is every dual at UNI this year, which is a sold out crowd of 2,200 (this specific dual is with Wisconsin).

"WELL WE LOVE DIVERSITY OF OPINIONS HERE AT THEOPENMAT! "-VISE GRIP 1-16-15   (NOW TELL HER HOW YOU HAD SPARKY AND ME BANNED).

RONSNAP/HERKEY, "FAITHFUL" UNI FAN THROUGH THICK AND THIN: "THE NEXT PROMO PIC WILL HAVE TO SAY (COLON) LOST TO THE NEW #1" AFTER TONIGHT...I HOPE."- 30 DEC 13, 04:04 PM

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: "Let's Grow The Sport"
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 04:53:16 PM »
Where are the vacant seats from the old picture?
We are the storm.

Offline ban basketball

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 04:55:21 PM »
Where are the vacant seats from the old picture?

For one, people are standing in the walkways in the new picture (see straight above the wrestlers' heads in the center), and if you look in almost the same location in the old photo, you'll see empty seats on the lower level and on the left and right sides of the upper level.
"WELL WE LOVE DIVERSITY OF OPINIONS HERE AT THEOPENMAT! "-VISE GRIP 1-16-15   (NOW TELL HER HOW YOU HAD SPARKY AND ME BANNED).

RONSNAP/HERKEY, "FAITHFUL" UNI FAN THROUGH THICK AND THIN: "THE NEXT PROMO PIC WILL HAVE TO SAY (COLON) LOST TO THE NEW #1" AFTER TONIGHT...I HOPE."- 30 DEC 13, 04:04 PM

Offline ban basketball

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 04:59:14 PM »
But, either way, this gym, to standing room capacity holds 2,200.  This is the semifinal round of the 1950 NCAA tournament.  I would guess that there are 2,000 or less people at the semis in the 1950's, all in the heart of wrestling country. 

Now, imagine holding the semis in the same location today.  Think the sport is "dying?"

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 05:02:52 PM »
But, either way, this gym, to standing room capacity holds 2,200.  This is the semifinal round of the 1950 NCAA tournament.  I would guess that there are 2,000 or less people at the semis in the 1950's, all in the heart of wrestling country. 

Now, imagine holding the semis in the same location today.  Think the sport is "dying?"

This might help you grasp the concept.

http://bit.ly/droppedproject

Just count how many programs have been axed since the "wrestling country" glory days, complete with AM radio and trains.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 08:37:43 PM »
Wrestlers today are 900% better than 1950 but sadly , yes , we're dying.  The gym pictured reminds me of Hoosiers.
We are the storm.

Offline pipewrench

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 09:00:12 PM »
Davis Hall at Bucknell reminds me of Hoosiers.  Enough so that I mentioned it to my buddy while at the tri-meet on Saturday.
*Insert clever or inspirational quote here*

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 09:09:23 PM »
Thought I was your only friend?
We are the storm.

Offline ban basketball

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 09:51:25 PM »

This might help you grasp the concept.

http://bit.ly/droppedproject

Just count how many programs have been axed since the "wrestling country" glory days, complete with AM radio and trains.

What concept?  That we can draw more for an interstate dual (wait until the INTRAstate dual in February) than we could for the semi final round of the 1950 NCAA semi finals?

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 10:14:09 PM »
Ban,
I've argued with you too many times for too many years to fall into your style yet again.

You know exactly what I'm talking about. You can put words into my mouth and try to frame the argument any way you like.

We're a "dying" sport to many because we have 78 Division I programs when we used to have over 180. You're using different arguments from different animals and moving them into your arguments.

Comparing anything to 1950 ... is lost.

Mix up things ... you know very well what I mean, playing the "huh" card isn't working.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline ban basketball

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 10:26:17 PM »
Ban,
I've argued with you too many times for too many years to fall into your style yet again.

You know exactly what I'm talking about. You can put words into my mouth and try to frame the argument any way you like.

We're a "dying" sport to many because we have 78 Division I programs when we used to have over 180. You're using different arguments from different animals and moving them into your arguments.

Comparing anything to 1950 ... is lost.

Mix up things ... you know very well what I mean, playing the "huh" card isn't working.

Nor was I ever arguing with you directly when I initially posted this.  It was just an observation of a widely held belief.