Author Topic: Jim(Greenforest) Gruenwald, the chin up king of wrestling  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
Jim(Greenforest) Gruenwald, the chin up king of wrestling
« on: May 12, 2009, 11:50:17 PM »
From elsewhere but found it interesting.

In 1995 I did 93 pullups witnessed by GrecoJohnson and another teammate, in the summer of 2007 at Camp of Champs a group  of campers/counselors (including Justin Peterson, son of John Peterson) watched me do 77, Kile (411 radio and Dan Gable wresting museum witnessed this), the next week I did 85, and the week after on a thicker bar I did 82.  2 months ago I did 83 in front of a Big Brother camp we hosted, the next week I hit a PR of 94 in front of our team, although they really only paid attention for the last part.  I had the flu earlier this week but will go do as many as I can right now and edit this post and let you know.  I  will say that the ones I do are leg aided, ie I kick up and I do not go to full extension ie I go about 4/5 down and jerk up and then on the last 30-50 it is a full pull up.  I suppose at some point I will have one of our guys tape it and post it on youtube so you guys can either believe it or for some of you it will give you the opportunity to tear apart my technique

So after the flu and doing hang cleans this morning, I just did 85-witnessed by the entire USOEC team, some army wrestlers and coach, and some marine wrestlers.  Chas Betts filmed it and at some point will post it for your viewing pleasure.

As to world records, be amazed

http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/chinups.html
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
Re: Jim(Greenforest) Gruenwald, the chin up king of wrestling
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 12:47:36 AM »
Two kids who had never wrestled before came out for the team when I was in junior high:  Jeff and Dave Alexander.  They were twins, and they were gymnasts.  I watched them each do over a hundred, with good form... they quit, it seemed, more because it was getting boring and annoying than because they couldn't do more.  Dave, eventually, went back to gymnastics, and did well in college; Jeff stuck with wrestling, and was a state finalist for us twice.

It should be noted, though, that when they did this, they were 75-pounders.

Really, though, what Jim is talking about here isn't what I found most impressive.  I watched Jim do 17 one-armed pull-ups; that I found astonishing.  I believe he quit doing these, however, because they were hard on his shoulder.

Offline Palin_JoeThePlumber_2012

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 12:51:35 AM »
I once did 20 without stopping.
That is, with 2 arms.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 09:05:03 AM »
I watched Jim do 17 one-armed pull-ups; that I found astonishing.

WHOA!!!
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 10:46:36 AM »
My oldest can do 17 at age 12. Once I tell him this story, he'll be shooting for a hundred.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 02:48:41 PM »
17 one-armed is crazy!!!
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 03:46:55 PM »
Quote from: "AKIN"
17 one-armed is crazy!!!

He wishes. They were two armed.

Offline JoshStephen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 11:40:24 AM »
Quote from: "Ray Brinzer"
Two kids who had never wrestled before came out for the team when I was in junior high:  Jeff and Dave Alexander.  They were twins, and they were gymnasts.  I watched them each do over a hundred, with good form... they quit, it seemed, more because it was getting boring and annoying than because they couldn't do more.  Dave, eventually, went back to gymnastics, and did well in college; Jeff stuck with wrestling, and was a state finalist for us twice.

It should be noted, though, that when they did this, they were 75-pounders.

Really, though, what Jim is talking about here isn't what I found most impressive.  I watched Jim do 17 one-armed pull-ups; that I found astonishing.  I believe he quit doing these, however, because they were hard on his shoulder.

Ray,

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Jeff Alexander win Junior Nationals in Greco in 1989?  I seem to remember him pinning his guy in the finals with a full nelson.  Is this correct or am I thinking of someone else?

Josh