Author Topic: 17 All-Americans  (Read 18487 times)

Offline lu_alum

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
Re: 17 All-Americans
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 03:33:29 pm »
Pennsylvania 17 AA's for population base of 12,773,801   or 1 AA for every 751,400
Iowa 6 AAs with population base of 3090416 1 AA for every 515,069

I'll take those numbers for the little state of Iowa.

That works if you include old ladies and babies in your denominator (per capita).  Using number of participants listed in the NCAA tournament program:

PA:  17 AAs / 9,740 HS participants = 1.745 AAs for every 1000 participants
IA:  6 AAs / 6,709 HS participants = 0.894 AAs for every 1000 participants
couldn't find a way to edit... bottom line is a PA HS wrestler is nearly 2x more likely to end up as a Division I AA than an IA HS wrestler.

Offline lkwdsteve

• World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 03:46:56 pm »
To me the most interesting story is that 1 of every 461 persons in Iowa is a high school wrestler.

Offline Jointdoc55

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • Loyalty, integrity & strength through brotherhood
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 03:53:52 pm »
And the controversy continues.....

I think that if you consider the number of people interested in wrestling as the denominator, you'd find that Vermont is the best wrestling state. In Vermont, 7 people have an interest in
 wrestling, and 1 is an all american. That's 14%! Of course, the 7 interested persons are: Wrestler's mother, father, brother, sister, paternal grandmother, maternal grandfather, and of course, the wrestler himself.

Offline lkwdsteve

• World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 04:02:27 pm »

I think that if you consider the number of people interested in wrestling as the denominator, you'd find that Vermont is the best wrestling state. In Vermont, 7 people have an interest in
 wrestling, and 1 is an all american. That's 14%! Of course, the 7 interested persons are: Wrestler's mother, father, brother, sister, paternal grandmother, maternal grandfather, and of course, the wrestler himself.

I was being dead serious. It's all about the youth. Is there an existing culture that encourages them to join? And then do they get coached up properly? Definitely the case in Iowa (and PA). It's also a continuum.

For example I would guess that Texas in increasing it's participation rates, but the coaching has to catch up. Strictly a guess.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 06:02:27 pm »
And BTW, how in the heck does NCAA have so many programs?
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 06:33:41 pm »

I was being dead serious. It's all about the youth. Is there an existing culture that encourages them to join? And then do they get coached up properly? Definitely the case in Iowa (and PA). It's also a continuum.

For example I would guess that Texas in increasing it's participation rates, but the coaching has to catch up. Strictly a guess.

Ray has elaborated on the culture of PA youth wrestling. No doubt in my mind that is the source of their strength. They have a culture there that has existed for decades.
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 06:59:25 pm »
Pennsylvania 17 AA's for population base of 12,773,801   or 1 AA for every 751,400
Iowa 6 AAs with population base of 3090416 1 AA for every 515,069

I'll take those numbers for the little state of Iowa.

That works if you include old ladies and babies in your denominator (per capita).  Using number of participants listed in the NCAA tournament program:

PA:  17 AAs / 9,740 HS participants = 1.745 AAs for every 1000 participants
IA:  6 AAs / 6,709 HS participants = 0.894 AAs for every 1000 participants

Thank you.  Yes I went on straight population and considered taking out the over 65 percentage on the census site but didn't want to do the work.  Wouldn't have thought to look in something as simple as the program for participation numbers.... although that seems really high for Iowa to me. 
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline none

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 08:18:24 pm »

Ray has elaborated on the culture of PA youth wrestling. No doubt in my mind that is the source of their strength. They have a culture there that has existed for decades.

Coaching too..... when I did the camp circuit, in many/most states I was towards the top as far as wrestling technique knowledge, and functional technique, in Pennsylvania I was just another guy.

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 09:04:35 pm »
I remember when JO was hitting a tilt single leg defense that everyone had never seen before my WPIAL buddy told me that it was just another basic PA move and showed me how to do it. PAnis light years ahead of most states when it comes to technique
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline SVV

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2014, 09:25:29 pm »
Ha.  You said Panis.

Offline Jointdoc55

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • Loyalty, integrity & strength through brotherhood
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 03:10:36 pm »
Ha.  You said Panis.
My thought exactly!

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 04:27:46 pm »
Blame ol Mr. Booze, he just loves making me look stupud
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 09:19:27 pm »
short seems huge!  sorenson stays so freaking low it's gotta be tough to finish on him.  retherford has the length though that if he gets to an ankle it might work
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer