Author Topic: The actual proposal for the dual/individual hybrid model is here  (Read 8194 times)

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files ... 140401.pdf

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files ... tation.pdf

Thanks to SHP for posting it elsewhere.  I went through it and I give it a B-.  The good news is the points aren't insanely skewed (though 8 points difference between 1st and 2nd with 15 points between 1st and 3rd is a little higher than I wanted to see, it is close enough) and there isn't anything in the proposal that is completely awful.

That said, the regional format still has the same problems (short notice travel, questionable fan interest), the points given to every team selected to attend will cause controversy when one team is picked over another (not likely to impact a title race, but why set yourself up for that?), and the spread between 1st and 3rd makes seeding much more important than I'm comfortable with given the NCAAs struggles with seeding in the past and the limited amount of data they will have to go on.

Selectiuon of regional sites (from a timing aspect, seeding aspect, and interest aspect) will be crucial.  Because they're going straight top 4 seeds as host, the interest aspect will be a roll of the dice.  How early can those seeds be determined?  It already appears the other 5 teams will have 1 weeks notice as to where they'll be going.  If the host school crowd doesn't show its going to be ugly.

I'm willing to keep an open mind here and, of course, I'll support the wrestling where I can, but I see a 1 site, 2-day event making more sense over the long-haul.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Re: The actual proposal for the dual/individual hybrid model is here
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 06:15:40 AM »
Both links are broken or were changed.

Offline SingletSlinger

• World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 01:05:37 PM »
Haves +1
Have Nots -1
Bunch of snowflakes run this board, sad how the mods cater to people that support one political party.

Offline grappler6

• Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 01:08:21 PM »
wrestling +1

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 01:11:43 PM »
Record viewership of the finals this year. Hey, lets completely change the format because we're dumb and don't know any better.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 01:15:02 PM »
Record viewership of the finals this year. Hey, lets completely change the format because we're dumb and don't know any better.
BUT...
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline grappler6

• Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 01:19:43 PM »

How does this proposal hurt the viewership of the finals?

that's like saying college basketball Conference Tournaments hurts the Final Four. They compliment each other. With the dual proposal there is an opportunity for both events to compliment each other as well.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 01:21:43 PM »
But it's not a dual proposal, but some weird quasi-proposal that people really don't know will even work.

Here's the deal, if I'm running a pretty successful business and continue to have record profits each year, I don't come up with some half-cocked plan and completely change my business plan in hopes of getting a couple more customers.

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 01:30:27 PM »
But it's not a dual proposal, but some weird quasi-proposal that people really don't know will even work.

Here's the deal, if I'm running a pretty successful business and continue to have record profits each year, I don't come up with some half-cocked plan and completely change my business plan in hopes of getting a couple more customers.

Changing the national championship to a dual event and having an individual tournament with no team score would "completely change my business plan".  This is more akin to adding a new location while keeping the original store.

The argument that have nots are getting screwed is, generally, without merit as well.  Every conference will be represented at this event and have at least one team in the top 24 starting the tournament in March (and have an opportunity to earn more on the mat).  I can tell you that not every conference has a team finish in the top 24 as it is. 

I give this proposal a B- because it isn't perfect, but no one can agree on what would be perfect (outside of things the NCAA won't approve).

Lastly, I think its funny that Rock thinks we have a "pretty successful business".  Aren't you the one who loves yelling that we are a dying sport with every program being the next one to drop?  Those cannot both be true.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 01:32:58 PM »
When I'm talking business, I'm talking ESPN.

The issues with wrestling itself, duals won't affect a thing.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 01:38:57 PM »

that's like saying college basketball Conference Tournaments hurts the Final Four. They compliment each other. With the dual proposal there is an opportunity for both events to compliment each other as well.
It is actually viewership of the entire national tournament.  You changed the dynamics either accidently or purposely.  ESPN ratings shot up for the ENTIRE National Championships.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline grappler6

• Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 01:51:52 PM »

It is actually viewership of the entire national tournament.  You changed the dynamics either accidently or purposely.  ESPN ratings shot up for the ENTIRE National Championships.

As you can see in the quote, I responded to Rockhard's state of record viewership of the finals. I didn't change the dynamics, I was following the discussing that Rockhard presented. Either way how does the implementation of duals effect viewership ratings of the individual tournament? Honest question.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 02:06:07 PM »

As you can see in the quote, I responded to Rockhard's state of record viewership of the finals. I didn't change the dynamics, I was following the discussing that Rockhard presented. Either way how does the implementation of duals effect viewership ratings of the individual tournament? Honest question.
Complicates the team scoring so that the viewer has no clue what is going on in the team race.  Takes away from the team race not having an "we all start at even Stevens" situation.  I didn't see Rock's commentment.  The published word was a massive overall increase in viewership.  The rounds leading up to the finals had to have been a contributing factor.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.