Author Topic: Question about 1984 olympics.  (Read 2340 times)

Cruo

Question about 1984 olympics.
« on: May 16, 2009, 04:38:12 PM »
With all this Randy Lewis talk lately I got to thinking about the '84 olympics.  How good was USA wrestling at the time?  I was only a year old so I have no idea, would we have dominated that badly or even came out at the top without the boycott?

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
Re: Question about 1984 olympics.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 05:30:13 PM »
1983 World Freestyle Championships
USSR:  7 Gold, 2 Silver, 1 Bronze
USA: 1 Gold, 2 Silver, 1 Bronze
Bulgaria: 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 5 Bronze

1984 Olympic Freestyle Championships
USA: 7 Gold, 2 Silver
Japan: 1 Gold, 4 Silver, 1 Bronze
Korea: 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 3 Bronze

1985 World Freestyle Championships
USSR:  5 Gold, 1 Silver, 2 Bronze
USA: 2 Gold, 2 Silver, 1 Bronze
Bulgaria: 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 3 Bronze

Cruo

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 05:41:16 PM »
nuff said  :P

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:03:56 PM »
1984 = Easton Alum, Bobby Weaver's olympic gold year i think.
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline nywrestler4life

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 05:33:10 PM »
Quote from: "The Du"

Correct.  I think everyone but Gonzales placed and was an Olympic finalist that year.

Without the Boycott we still would have had a pretty good year IMO.

105.5- Bobby Weaver took 5th at the 1983 worlds.  Definitely would have been a gold medal contender
114.5-Joe Gonzalez didn't place but took 4th the next year.  Without the boycott he probably would not have placed here
125.5-Barry Davis would have been affected by the boycott and probably would not have placed
136.5-Lee Roy Smith placed second here the year before, and we all know how close they were.  Lewis would have gotten top 3 and been a gold metal contender
149.5-Rein Probably would not have placed
163-Schultz won the worlds the year before and would have been the favorite without the boycott.  I think he wins gold either way
180.5-Mark Schultz was now in his prime and a top 3 placer with a possible gold.  Remember he won the 1985 worlds
198-Ed Banach probably would not have placed top 3 without the boycott
220-Lou Banach probably would not have placed top 3, but would be a darkhorse in my mind to win it all
hwt-Baumgartner took 3rd at the 1983 and 1985 worlds, so I'd give him top 3 here with a chance to win

With no Boycott I think we would have had: 3 golds  1 silver   1 bronze

Don't forget the 1983 worlds were held in the hostile USSR, which would explain some of our guys underperforming.  3 golds still would have been a great olympic team.

p.s.- don't kill me if all the facts aren't right.  I didn't really take the time to check them.

Offline horatio

• LXP
  • World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 09:38:30 PM »
Quote from: "nywrestler4life"
Quote from: "The Du"

Correct.  I think everyone but Gonzales placed and was an Olympic finalist that year.

Without the Boycott we still would have had a pretty good year IMO.

105.5- Bobby Weaver took 5th at the 1983 worlds.  Definitely would have been a gold medal contender
114.5-Joe Gonzalez didn't place but took 4th the next year.  Without the boycott he probably would not have placed here
125.5-Barry Davis would have been affected by the boycott and probably would not have placed
136.5-Lee Roy Smith placed second here the year before, and we all know how close they were.  Lewis would have gotten top 3 and been a gold metal contender
149.5-Rein Probably would not have placed
163-Schultz won the worlds the year before and would have been the favorite without the boycott.  I think he wins gold either way
180.5-Mark Schultz was now in his prime and a top 3 placer with a possible gold.  Remember he won the 1985 worlds
198-Ed Banach probably would not have placed top 3 without the boycott
220-Lou Banach probably would not have placed top 3, but would be a darkhorse in my mind to win it all
hwt-Baumgartner took 3rd at the 1983 and 1985 worlds, so I'd give him top 3 here with a chance to win

With no Boycott I think we would have had: 3 golds  1 silver   1 bronze

Don't forget the 1983 worlds were held in the hostile USSR, which would explain some of our guys underperforming.  3 golds still would have been a great olympic team.

p.s.- don't kill me if all the facts aren't right.  I didn't really take the time to check them.

good run down.  i'm no authority but i certainly agree with the predictions.
"I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion."