Author Topic: Important Announcement: Temporary Lock on Politics, Evolution  (Read 26694 times)

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
  • Tolerate everthing but Intolerance
    • View Profile
Re: Important Announcement: Temporary Lock on Politics, Evolution
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2014, 11:58:32 am »
Odd that a board that has not had a single post on it for almost two months would be locked down.  i.e. Evolution.  With no post for two months there obviously has not been a problem.

This was to stop the Evolution category from being a runoff mechanism for politics, with posters turning their attention there.

Most likely what you will get with this option is a very manila community of all right wing mostly white wrestling fans.  It would certainly lack any significant dialogue, but you would have a lot of people patting each other on the back with very little true diversity of opinion.  Diversity is the spice of life.

While I can see where civility might strike you as bland, I can assure you that it is not a quality exclusive to right-wing white people.

Understood but I suspect I will be banned and I have been nothing but civil for the last couple months since my return from Afghanistan.  So it would not be lack of civility that gets me banned but rather the fact that I am an extreme liberal.

You just called someone dense then went on to say how civil you've been.  I honestly have had no complaints on you being combative recently but you do see that calling a poster dense is one of the things Ray is talking about, right?  It adds nothing to the conversation and is solely intended to attack another poster.

BTW, it was truly not intended as an attack in any way.  It was simply a statement of truth.  How should I have said it?
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Bigotry disguised as religious liberty is still BIGOTRY

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2014, 11:59:24 am »
Where did I say anything about ctc?  This is a perfect example coach.  You called someone a name, it was completely unnecessary and when pointed out you try to spin it into something else.  The point was you calling another poster dense, not whether ctc violates rules.  You couldn't make your point without calling him a name, then posted about how civil you are. 
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2014, 12:07:02 pm »
Where did I say anything about ctc?  This is a perfect example coach.  You called someone a name, it was completely unnecessary and when pointed out you try to spin it into something else.  The point was you calling another poster dense, not whether ctc violates rules.  You couldn't make your point without calling him a name, then posted about how civil you are.

I did not call anyone a name, I made a statement about his lack of seeing the truth about himself.  Again, how should I have said it?  Saying someone is dense is talking about their behavior not calling them a name.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2014, 12:24:25 pm »
Well I love everyone so I know I'm at no risk of being banned.
If every black male 18-35 applied for a conceal & carry permit, and then joined the NRA in one day; there would be gun control laws in a second.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2014, 01:12:31 pm »
How should you have said it?
Ban the violators.  It would save my space on my "ignore" list.  Currently, there is no fear of repercussions.
And he cannot even recognize he is one of the violators. 

There, same point made and you didn't have to call him a name.  And yes, calling someone dense is calling them a name.  You know this and, IMO, it's a perfect example of what's wrong.  People on both sides of this constant back and forth, feel they can't convey their message unless they take a dig at someone else. 

Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2014, 01:27:26 pm »
Well I love everyone so I know I'm at no risk of being banned.

And we love you buck.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2014, 01:32:05 pm »
Ban the violators.  It would save my space on my "ignore" list.  Currently, there is no fear of repercussions.

There, same point made and you didn't have to call him a name.  And yes, calling someone dense is calling them a name.  You know this and, IMO, it's a perfect example of what's wrong.  People on both sides of this constant back and forth, feel they can't convey their message unless they take a dig at someone else. 

There what.  Help me out here this is a learning opportunity.  Cutting it off there does not allow me to address him.  Now if I were to do this:

And he cannot even recognize he is one of the violators. ctc, you need to look in the mirror and take an honest assessment of yourself because you are missing what we are all seeing. 

Now that relays what I was trying to get across without using the word dense which basically says the same thing with an economy of words.  Would my above quote pass the test? 

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2014, 01:35:11 pm »

And no, I still disagree with claiming it was name calling.  My quote does not pass a name calling test.  If I said, ctc you are dense.  Maybe but I said sometimes you can be so dense that does not.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2014, 01:39:13 pm »
I would say sometimes you can be so dense to my best friend if she is not picking up on something.  That is not calling her a name.

btw, my best friend is my wife.

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2014, 02:57:54 pm »
Sparky, even in your best behavior, you managed to call DR a bigot multiple times and then you cast a net for people with a dispataginging name and put them in it. It is not any different than directly calling people names. Its not difficult to debate without the name calling. Seton Hall and AC are very effective and never call people or groups they disagree with names.
When all else fails, do the opposite...

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2014, 03:24:53 pm »
Sparky, even in your best behavior, you managed to call DR a bigot multiple times and then you cast a net for people with a dispataginging name and put them in it. It is not any different than directly calling people names. Its not difficult to debate without the name calling. Seton Hall and AC are very effective and never call people or groups they disagree with names.

When you hate gays simply for them being that way what do you call it leggy?

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2014, 03:26:15 pm »
Sometimes you just have to be willing to own up to what you are.  I am willing to and actually proud to own up to the fact that I am extremely liberal and that I have a very blunt honesty in my approach to communication. 

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2014, 03:27:21 pm »

He knows this.  He's mincing words and spinning.  It's his style when it comes to debate.  Why I even try is beyond me because what he wants is to drag people down with him, into the vortex that is Sparky.  He knows exactly what I was saying but refuses to acknowledge it. 
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Ray will feel calling someone dense isn't a prime example of what has precisely lead to where we are.   I'll happily defer to him on that but, to me, it's prime example of someone who can't debate without disparaging. 

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2014, 03:31:21 pm »

He knows this.  He's mincing words and spinning.  It's his style when it comes to debate.  Why I even try is beyond me because what he wants is to drag people down with him, into the vortex that is Sparky.  He knows exactly what I was saying but refuses to acknowledge it. 
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Ray will feel calling someone dense isn't a prime example of what has precisely lead to where we are.   I'll happily defer to him on that but, to me, it's prime example of someone who can't debate without disparaging.

How am I not acknowledging what you said.  I disagree with your claim that it is name calling.  Seriously, it is the way I communicate with all my friends.  Very honestly.  I tell people who want to deny gays their equal rights bigots to their face.  They do not like it much but they do not change their position either so I have no choice but to call them what they are.

As far as the dense thing.  My wife and I use that term regularly toward each other when we are not picking up on something the other has tried to communicate and neither she nor I have ever felt the other was calling us a name, it makes you stop and thing what am I missing and if I cannot figure it out I ask her.

Offline lkwdsteve

• World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2014, 08:36:57 pm »
I am thinking whether I will be banned so I probably will be as per logic above.

You should not be banned and should not have been banned elsewhere.

So, trippy my man, we disagree...AGAIN.