Poll

What do you rock to see 20/20

Nothing I have willed my eyesight into perfection (I expect only SVV to answer this)
1 (4%)
Contacts
2 (8%)
Glasses
10 (40%)
combination glasses and contacts
4 (16%)
I had lasers shot into my eyeballs and now I can see perfectly
4 (16%)
I had lasers shot into my eyeballs and now I'm blind
0 (0%)
Have had perfect vision all my life.
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: how do you see?  (Read 8200 times)

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
Re: how do you see?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 09:00:39 AM »
Thanks for the input. Been thinking about it.

Short answer: do it. It's a no-brainer.

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 09:54:18 AM »

20/400

Wow.  I don't run into many who are worse than me (of course I don't ask a lot of people either).  I'm 20/200 with astigmatisms' in both eyes.  can't imagine 20/400.

I have back ups for back ups of glasses.  Really want to get laser surgery like Ray discussed. 

I can see much better with contacts, but only use them sparingly.

Luckily, my wife is 15/20, so I hope the kids get her vision.

Offline Intensity guru

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • MEMENTO MORI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 05:07:05 PM »
Had PRK back in 2001ish
I always bring my hips to the party.

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 11:11:59 AM »

20/400

Wow.  I don't run into many who are worse than me (of course I don't ask a lot of people either).  I'm 20/200 with astigmatisms' in both eyes.  can't imagine 20/400.

I have back ups for back ups of glasses.  Really want to get laser surgery like Ray discussed. 

Don't you mean 20/15?  And, how well can she hit a baseball?  Pretty sure Babe Ruth had 20/15 vision.

I've had glasses since I was 9 years old, and my glasses at the time gave me 20/15 vision .. ya know, so I could hit better in little league ;)  Wore glasses exclusively until the end of my senior year of high school when I got contacts.  Wore those for a bit, then went back to primarily glasses for a while, then to contacts again.  I now wear contacts 95% of the time with glasses for backup.  Of late, the over 40 affliction that Ray spoke of seems to be hitting me, though.  Not sure what my approach is gonna be at this point.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 11:40:12 AM »
The last time the USAF gave me a chart to look at to test my eye site I pointed out that there was a flaw in it where their printer had missed a line.  The technician administering the test couldn't see it until he broke out the magnifying glass.  My eyes are good.  Real good.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 07:00:35 AM »
[
Some people split the difference, and have one eye tuned better for reading, and the other for distance. This sounds like it would be awful, but it isn't; most people don't see the same with each eye anyway, and your brain works to turn what it gets from the eyes into a single coherent picture.

This has been my situation for as long as I remember, probably all my life.  Farsighted in one eye, near sighted in the other, but somehow my brain balances out my vision.  For reading, my left eye is clear as can be, but with my right everything is a blur.  Just the opposite for distances over 10 feet.  Lately I've noticed a slight bluring in the 6-10" range while reading or working on something close up up, but if keep my distance st say +12", no problems.

:o

Online ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 08:07:01 AM »
Thanks for the input. Been thinking about it.

Short answer: do it. It's a no-brainer.
I know a couple people that had a bad experience that they are still physically paying for.  One cannot drive at night now and they other keeps having it regress.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Online ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 08:10:23 AM »
BTW, an option was left out - cataract surgery.  I had it done and it flipped my world around.  I use to be near sighted, now am far sighted.  It worked very well for me with the implants.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2014, 12:52:28 AM »
I have what's called natural binocular vision, I think.

My left eye can only see close up while my right eye is better with far away vision
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 11:40:33 AM »

20/400

Don't you mean 20/15?  And, how well can she hit a baseball?  Pretty sure Babe Ruth had 20/15 vision.

I've had glasses since I was 9 years old, and my glasses at the time gave me 20/15 vision .. ya know, so I could hit better in little league ;)  Wore glasses exclusively until the end of my senior year of high school when I got contacts.  Wore those for a bit, then went back to primarily glasses for a while, then to contacts again.  I now wear contacts 95% of the time with glasses for backup.  Of late, the over 40 affliction that Ray spoke of seems to be hitting me, though.  Not sure what my approach is gonna be at this point.

She doesn't do too many sports.  However, her depth perception is quite good.  She is great at parallel parking and she can navigate an airport well.

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 11:44:59 AM »
I have what's called natural binocular vision, I think.

My left eye can only see close up while my right eye is better with far away vision

My son just got glasses for that:  near sighted in one eye; far sighted in the other.  He can see the blackboard fine and he can read the book he is holding.  However, everything in between is difficult.  Depth perception is squiggly for him.

Offline tpay

• LXP
  • National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2014, 11:08:08 PM »
60 years old, have been wearing glasses for the last 30 years.
Don't wear them when I watch TV up to 9/10 feet away, (that's where my Lazyboy is positioned), but need them to read my morning newspaper & drive, especially at night...........damn got to stop reading the paper at night.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
60 years old, have been wearing glasses for the last 30 years.
Don't wear them when I watch TV up to 9/10 feet away, (that's where my Lazyboy is positioned), but need them to read my morning newspaper & drive, especially at night...........damn got to stop reading the paper at night.

especially while driving. 
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline Gantry

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 01:49:12 PM »
Got Lasik 8ish years ago, best money I ever spent

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 03:40:22 PM »
Got Lasik in August of 2011 ... wanted to get it prior to my trip to Turkey for the worlds. In Moscow, I lost a contact lens and the spares I brought dried out, so I was stuck with some glasses, which then got stepped on by an Iranian journalist (Accidentally, the guy is awesome). Now that I don't have to squint to see far scoreboards and not have to worry about losing my glasses overseas.

I had a pair knocked off my head in St. Louis midway through nationals. They were stepped on and had to rush to a lens crafters before the session.

Worth every penny. Waking up going "oh crap, I overslept" saves you the 15 seconds fumbling for glasses only to say "oh crap, I overslept"
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg