Author Topic: Depressed over the demise of tabletop chess computers :(  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Depressed over the demise of tabletop chess computers :(
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 05:48:04 PM »
I never learned any chess strategy, just how the pieces moved, so I rarely beat the computer on the easy setting.  I also had the bad habit of looking at the board to see what my moves could be, but not what my opponent could do in retaliation.  Led to more than a few "D'Oh!" moments.

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Depressed over the demise of tabletop chess computers :(
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 09:28:35 AM »
By the way, we also played Gamma World, Boot Hill, Gangbusters, Paranoia, Skyrealms of Jorune, Lords of Creation, Star Frontiers, and pretty much every other odd RPG of the early '80s, doing more than our part to keep TSR and several other small companies in business.

I played Gamma World a couple times. It was a SciFi version of D&D. Both games could be fun if the GM was good. Unfortunately I didn't have time for many games as a teenager because I was working in the offseason on the family farm and playing football and wrestling the rest of the year. Recreation was limited to reading and my chess computer during work times (in the evening usually) and there weren't any other kids to "recreate" with (except my twin sister who was into different things). I played D&D and Gamma World when I went to college though, was a lot of fun.
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow