Author Topic: Comencement Speeches  (Read 1177 times)

Online RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Comencement Speeches
« on: May 21, 2014, 02:34:19 PM »
Do you remember the commencement speech at your last graduation. I can't recall any of them. Who gave the oration?  What was the message?

I'm sure the U Texas grads will remember theirs, well at least many of them. Admiral William H. McRaven gave the commencement at UT this year. He was  the U.S. Special Operations Commander who organized the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, but that is not the subject matter.

Just shy of 20 minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxBQLFLei70

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Comencement Speeches
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 03:42:06 PM »
My HS was memorable.  Our valedictorian, a friend of mine, gave a very serious speech including Armegeddon.  We were rolling on the floor it was not the celebration we were looking forward to.  Cracked us up!

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 03:42:57 PM »
A few years back Robert Gates gave the commencement speech at OU. He talked about his friendship with OU President and former Senator David Boren, and how they both had a great deal in common as both had experience as Big XII college Presidents (Gates was once President of Texas A&M) and with the US intelligence services, he as CIA director, and Boren on the Senate Intelligence Committee. He sympathized with Boren's responsibilities running a large state university with a big time football program. (I'm paraphrasing here a bit but this is pretty much what he said) "I found as CIA director it was easier to topple the head of some small government than it was to fire my own football coach at Texas A&M". 
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline ban basketball

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 06:00:22 PM »
This was quite a moment a couple of years ago at UNI.

"WELL WE LOVE DIVERSITY OF OPINIONS HERE AT THEOPENMAT! "-VISE GRIP 1-16-15   (NOW TELL HER HOW YOU HAD SPARKY AND ME BANNED).

RONSNAP/HERKEY, "FAITHFUL" UNI FAN THROUGH THICK AND THIN: "THE NEXT PROMO PIC WILL HAVE TO SAY (COLON) LOST TO THE NEW #1" AFTER TONIGHT...I HOPE."- 30 DEC 13, 04:04 PM

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 07:41:29 PM »
I don't remember who my commencement speaker was or what her job was. I don't remember the crux of her speech.

I do remember her lame joke of:

"There are two ways to reach the top of a tree - start climbing or sit on an acorn."

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 07:42:29 PM »
I also remember I didn't really want to be there. I just wanted my piece of paper and go hang out with my family and friends.

They could have mailed me my degree and I would have been fine.

Offline Intensity guru

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • MEMENTO MORI
    • View Profile
I always bring my hips to the party.

Offline caseman

• OW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 10:10:01 AM »
Not a commencement speech, but written as one.....definitely worth a listen if you have never heard it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCuEEf4mGsk
Better to die of thirst than drink from the cup of mediocrity

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 11:03:02 AM »
I have no freaking clue who gave my commencement address...gopherfan might remember or okiespladle.  I for one had been drinking since that morning. 
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline horatio

• LXP
  • World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 09:57:41 PM »
aaahhhhh one of the better days of my life.  i LOVED this guy as a kid and never missed a show. 

"I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion."

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
  • Tolerate everthing but Intolerance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 12:43:52 PM »
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Bigotry disguised as religious liberty is still BIGOTRY

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
My high school's was done by our Senior Resource Officer, a Vietnam vet who was famous for breaking up our many fights with his fists. I much didn't approve of the speech but the senior class got to vote on who he wanted and he beat out Daniel Tosh haha. We had a slim chance at getting Michelle Obama, our senior class president's dad had a clout with Washington being one of the most highly respected black officers in the army but they ignored her. We once had Colin Powell speak at our graduation but that was years back.

I'll let you know who I got this time next year.
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 02:32:26 PM »
I'd like more information from Caseman on his avatar.  That woman is simply outstanding!!
Christians warned about the Antichrist for years. And when he came, they voted for him.