Author Topic: Does TOM need a separate religion area?  (Read 7026 times)

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
Does TOM need a separate religion area?
« on: June 03, 2014, 12:58:07 pm »
Front page article from yesterday: 4 Observations from the World Team Trials.  http://www.wrestlingmindset.com/blog

" A strong faith replaces fear and limits. Look further into our World Team members. They have a strong faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. I asked Tervel Dlagnev his mental edge when competing. He said, "my faith in Jesus Christ reminds me that I should have no fear but to fear the Lord so I go out and open up!" Once our fears are conquered we can compete at our highest level. When we have Faith we know that through Him all things are possible. This gives us the courage to dream big and pursue our goals fearlessly."

Yeah, the title did suck me in cause I thought it would be about wrestling, not religious propaganda.  I wonder how the Russians and Iranians remain so dominant while not believing in this particular fairy tale.

Hope springs eternal.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Does TOM need a separate religion area?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 01:08:01 pm »
Front page article from yesterday: 4 Observations from the World Team Trials.  http://www.wrestlingmindset.com/blog

" A strong faith replaces fear and limits. Look further into our World Team members. They have a strong faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. I asked Tervel Dlagnev his mental edge when competing. He said, "my faith in Jesus Christ reminds me that I should have no fear but to fear the Lord so I go out and open up!" Once our fears are conquered we can compete at our highest level. When we have Faith we know that through Him all things are possible. This gives us the courage to dream big and pursue our goals fearlessly."

Yeah, the title did suck me in cause I thought it would be about wrestling, not religious propaganda.  I wonder how the Russians and Iranians remain so dominant while not believing in this particular fairy tale.
Are you really going to say that the Iranian wrestlers don't pay at least lip service to their NATIONAL religion? 
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 01:08:53 pm »
furthermore that was a blog that was rehosted here and way to focus on #4 of his points.  good job just ignoring the first three

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 01:19:04 pm »
so you're saying it shouldn't have been on the newsfeed, but should have been placed in a separate forum?  or in an entirely separate news feed devoted to Religion?

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 02:12:36 pm »

Are you really going to say that the Iranian wrestlers don't pay at least lip service to their NATIONAL religion?

That is why I said "this particular fairy tale."  The Iranians may or may not believe in some form of the supernatural, but regardless that undercuts the whole point of the article.  If anything Christianity is a barrier to success at the world level.  68% of the world is non-Christian and those countries are having great success in Olympic and world wrestling.
Hope springs eternal.

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 02:14:23 pm »
furthermore that was a blog that was rehosted here and way to focus on #4 of his points.  good job just ignoring the first three

The first point also mentioned FAITH in caps.  I wish the writer had just stuck to points 2 & 3.
Hope springs eternal.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
  • Tolerate everthing but Intolerance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 02:48:26 pm »
I always find athletes who wear their religion on their sleeve some of, if not the most, disengenuous people to associate with.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Bigotry disguised as religious liberty is still BIGOTRY

Offline Bozak

• State Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 05:37:54 pm »
Why is that?  It's been my experience that many of the ones that are outspoken about their religion truly try to practice what they preach.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 06:49:11 pm »
Why is that?  It's been my experience that many of the ones that are outspoken about their religion truly try to practice what they preach.

Very few of them actually practice what the preach when they are not infront of a crowd or camera.  They talk the talk but do not live by their pronouncements.  In addition, most of them are putting in as much time if not more than the non-religious superstars so their success is really and honestly a testament to their hard work in practice and conditioning and is not truly some gift from God.  So my question is why do so many of them claim they owe it all to god.  That is the biggest lie of all.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Offline Bozak

• State Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 09:11:30 am »
Maybe they feel that they were blessed with talent, drive, determination, etc. and want to give thanks.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 09:30:10 am »
Maybe they feel that they were blessed with talent, drive, determination, etc. and want to give thanks.

Yes Nature did bless every talented successful athlete with those characteristics. 

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Silver
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 10:48:43 am »
Maybe we should point out the Mindset Monday does not represent the views and opinions of TOM?  Been pretty clear that's an outside company providing us a semi weekly blog. If someone believes they are positively impacted mentally by a spiritual being, it's not anyone else's place to tell them it's a lie. If Jeff Zannetti thinks he was positively impacted and wants to explain that on his blog, fine. No one seems to have brought up the feature on other questionable topics, but bring up spirituality and all of a sudden we need a religion section? Pfft.

maybe a disclaimer would make you happier?
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 10:54:51 am »
Maybe we should point out the Mindset Monday does not represent the views and opinions of TOM?  Been pretty clear that's an outside company providing us a semi weekly blog. If someone believes they are positively impacted mentally by a spiritual being, it's not anyone else's place to tell them it's a lie. If Jeff Zannetti thinks he was positively impacted and wants to explain that on his blog, fine. No one seems to have brought up the feature on other questionable topics, but bring up spirituality and all of a sudden we need a religion section? Pfft.

maybe a disclaimer would make you happier?

Doesn't bother me as long as they keep it personal and don't broadcast it.  When they broadcast it, people who do not believe in fairytales like Christianity or Islam or Mormonism or Hinduism or whatever fairytale ism they are talking about have a right to poo poo it so people do not get the impression that it is a fact.

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Silver
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 11:06:13 am »
So rather than ignore it and let people think what they want to think and write what they want to write, it's your responsibility to call them liars?
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 11:30:19 am »
So rather than ignore it and let people think what they want to think and write what they want to write, it's your responsibility to call them liars?

It is not calling anyone anything.  It is putting the rational realistic viewpoint out there so that all impressionable people do not think this is the only way to think.  It is giving another perspective.  Something my parent sheltered me from for years but as soon as I got it, I lost religion (supernatural think) almost immediately.  Just wanting to give others a chance to hear the truth.