Author Topic: Does TOM need a separate religion area?  (Read 7067 times)

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
  • Tolerate everthing but Intolerance
    • View Profile
Re: Does TOM need a separate religion area?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 11:37:21 am »
So rather than ignore it and let people think what they want to think and write what they want to write, it's your responsibility to call them liars?

Jason, do you have a problem with allowing people to hear both sides and make their own decisions?
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Bigotry disguised as religious liberty is still BIGOTRY

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 11:54:26 am »
He wasn't prosletyzing so who cares? I know who cares, people with no politic board to get into cry baby pissed contests on. It is a total non issue. No bigger deal than if an atheist writer posted something attributing performance to science
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 12:00:47 pm »
He wasn't prosletyzing so who cares? I know who cares, people with no politic board to get into cry baby pissed contests on. It is a total non issue. No bigger deal than if an atheist writer posted something attributing performance to science

It is really unfortunate that you cannot communicate civilly bryce.  I have reported your abusive language.  I made not negative comments toward anyone here and you should not have either.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 01:39:55 pm »

He was proselytizing unless you have a private definition of the word.  The message was that if you want to make a world team you have to be a Christian.  No Jews allowed.  No non-believers.  2/3 of the world excluded for not being Christian. I have to wonder if he'd allow Cael Sanderson on the world team as many denominations deny that LDS is part of Christianity. 

Bottom line is that the blog post was offensive and derogatory.
Hope springs eternal.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 03:09:10 pm »
Sorry I missed where he said anyone not of the Christian faith was not allowed on the World Team. I will go back and reread it

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 03:14:48 pm »
I saw him mention faith...still looking for "if you ain't Christian get out" part. Hang on will read again

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 03:45:39 pm »
I saw him mention faith...still looking for "if you ain't Christian get out" part. Hang on will read again

Perhaps the sole commentator and author's response will put this in perspective (my comment "I thought I was gonna read a wrestling article not religious propaganda" did not get approved):

Gary Redding   "I just want to make sure I get this right. So if I eat right, prepare my body and mind, stay out of trouble, stay humble, EXPECT to win at every level, and keep scoring and putting the pressure on my opponent, I should win, but if I don't believe in Jesus Christ, I won't. Not sure about that.  Maybe we shouldn't be so closed minded. Maybe you should have just ended at, " A strong faith replaces fear and limits." No matter what your faith is, if it's strong and allows you to persevere through adversity, it's a good thing. This elitist attitude is just divisive and doesn't need to be here.  Other than that, it was a pretty good article."

Jeff Zannetti -  "Gary- thanks for the comment. I agree with you "no matter what your faith is, if it's strong and allows you to persevere through adversity, it's a good thing." As for myself and the wrestlers on the world team I am referring to (Burroughs, Dlagnev, and several others) our faith comes from Jesus Christ.  I did not mean to come of as elitist or divisive. I respect people of all faiths and believe they can become more successful because of their faith."
Hope springs eternal.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2014, 02:16:56 am »
So we can only talk wrestling if you approve of it?

"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2014, 10:56:44 am »
So we can only talk wrestling if you approve of it?

Nope, that is not what he said.  he said talk wrestling in the wrestling board and create a board for religion if you want to talk religion.  They are two different topics and do not need to be discussed together.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 02:29:23 pm »
Front page article from yesterday: 4 Observations from the World Team Trials.  http://www.wrestlingmindset.com/blog

" A strong faith replaces fear and limits. Look further into our World Team members. They have a strong faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. I asked Tervel Dlagnev his mental edge when competing. He said, "my faith in Jesus Christ reminds me that I should have no fear but to fear the Lord so I go out and open up!" Once our fears are conquered we can compete at our highest level. When we have Faith we know that through Him all things are possible. This gives us the courage to dream big and pursue our goals fearlessly."

Yeah, the title did suck me in cause I thought it would be about wrestling, not religious propaganda.  I wonder how the Russians and Iranians remain so dominant while not believing in this particular fairy tale.
Are you really going to say that the Iranian wrestlers don't pay at least lip service to their NATIONAL religion?

That is why I said "this particular fairy tale."  The Iranians may or may not believe in some form of the supernatural, but regardless that undercuts the whole point of the article.  If anything Christianity is a barrier to success at the world level.  68% of the world is non-Christian and those countries are having great success in Olympic and world wrestling.

WTF????

Tell that to the Peterson brothers or Jordan Burroughs for that matter.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 02:33:34 pm »
Front page article from yesterday: 4 Observations from the World Team Trials.  http://www.wrestlingmindset.com/blog

" A strong faith replaces fear and limits. Look further into our World Team members. They have a strong faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. I asked Tervel Dlagnev his mental edge when competing. He said, "my faith in Jesus Christ reminds me that I should have no fear but to fear the Lord so I go out and open up!" Once our fears are conquered we can compete at our highest level. When we have Faith we know that through Him all things are possible. This gives us the courage to dream big and pursue our goals fearlessly."

Yeah, the title did suck me in cause I thought it would be about wrestling, not religious propaganda.  I wonder how the Russians and Iranians remain so dominant while not believing in this particular fairy tale.
Are you really going to say that the Iranian wrestlers don't pay at least lip service to their NATIONAL religion?

That is why I said "this particular fairy tale."  The Iranians may or may not believe in some form of the supernatural, but regardless that undercuts the whole point of the article.  If anything Christianity is a barrier to success at the world level.  68% of the world is non-Christian and those countries are having great success in Olympic and world wrestling.

WTF????

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 03:46:50 pm »
I like cake.
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 04:00:10 pm »
WTF????

The point is that religious belief, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with wrestling talent.  Unless, of course, you believe that the reason the Iranians are so dominant is because they're Shi'a Muslims.
Hope springs eternal.

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Silver
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2014, 04:15:44 pm »
In their mind, it does. File it under "intangibles" ... breaking up with your girlfriend a day before a big match has nothing to do with wrestling talent, but it can impact performance. Phil Jackson feels his zen lifestyle makes him a better coach. Henry Cejudo believed some of those sticky shock devices helped him recover better after cutting weight. None of those have to do with talent, but it doesn't stop them from believing it does and if they believe something (anything, faith, marriage, electroshock therapy) helps them ... by all means, they have the right to say such.

People have different things that drive them ... the only person who can disprove what they believe is the person themselves. If you don't believe faith has anything to do with Burroughs' success, that's fine, that's your opinion, but you're not going to convince him otherwise.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2014, 04:26:05 pm »
In their mind, it does. File it under "intangibles" ... breaking up with your girlfriend a day before a big match has nothing to do with wrestling talent, but it can impact performance. Phil Jackson feels his zen lifestyle makes him a better coach. Henry Cejudo believed some of those sticky shock devices helped him recover better after cutting weight. None of those have to do with talent, but it doesn't stop them from believing it does and if they believe something (anything, faith, marriage, electroshock therapy) helps them ... by all means, they have the right to say such.

People have different things that drive them ... the only person who can disprove what they believe is the person themselves. If you don't believe faith has anything to do with Burroughs' success, that's fine, that's your opinion, but you're not going to convince him otherwise.

I would say the same thing about Slay or Dlagnev or Bergman.
If you want respect, be respectful.