Author Topic: Coach Sparky's atheism thread.  (Read 15422 times)

Offline spider

• OW
    • View Profile
Re: Coach Sparky's atheism thread.
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2014, 05:22:01 PM »
Well it's good to see that while I've been off the board nothing has changed. Since I am an atheist and that seems to be what this thread is supposed to be about, I'd like to express my opinion. While I BELIEVE that a supreme being does not exist and everything that we as humans perceive can be explained by scientific investigation, I do not KNOW if I am right or wrong and really, no one KNOWS if God exists or not. In all the discussions I have witnessed or participated in regarding religion, no one has ever convinced anyone to change their mind. This is because the existence of God cannot be proved or disproved. It is a matter of faith. I would love to find that I am wrong and that when I die I will be reunited with deceased loved ones, but I simply can't believe this. Since no one returns from the dead (near-death experiences notwithstanding), we will never know the "truth." I am not offended by those who believe differently than I do. I am only offended by those who tell me that I am wrong or by those who want to control my live via legislation based on their religious beliefs.That's about it, and I hope I haven't offended anyone or participated in any personal attacks.
For what it's worth, Spider, and I could be wrong, but I think your views sound much closer to being an agnostic, versus an atheist.  I've lived most of my life oscillating between these two beliefs, and yours sound like an agnostic to me.

The difference?  An atheist absolutely does not believe in higher powers, heaven or hell, satan, etc, whereas an agnostic doesn't believe that there is any concrete evidence either way to form a valid opinion on whether such things exist or not.  The latter sounds closer to your views.

Ban, I have often wondered which category I fall into, and usually just say I'm an atheist because people understand that better. Probably, the truth is that I'm an atheist who really believes that he is right, but allows for the possibility that he may be wrong. If that makes me an agnostic, so be it, but it seems that I'm straddling that line.
If you throw away sheet music, does it decompose?

Offline spider

• OW
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2014, 05:23:17 PM »
Bozak and Spider, FTW

Is that a dyslexic WTF?
If you throw away sheet music, does it decompose?

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
  • Tolerate everthing but Intolerance
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2014, 05:36:18 PM »
Your own insecurity perhaps?

Nope wrong, it has nothing to do with my supposed insecurities, which are much much smaller than you appear to think they are.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Bigotry disguised as religious liberty is still BIGOTRY

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2014, 05:37:33 PM »
I would like to hear Sparky's reasoning for trying to convince people that they are wrong in their beliefs.  What purpose does it serve?

I actually do not try to convince them they are wrong.  I simply point out the relevant facts and let them choose to believe despite the evidence to the contrary or to change their position so it is supported by the evidence.  It is their choice.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2014, 10:12:39 PM »
is that a vortex or a cosmic butthole?

Actually, a black hole, which is completely different from a vortex. Paranoia seems rampant around here lately.
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2014, 10:18:04 PM »
is that a vortex or a cosmic butthole?

Actually, a black hole, which is completely different from a vortex. Paranoia seems rampant around here lately.

Now that I agree with!

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2014, 10:18:47 PM »

Still won't go away will you.  Says a lot about your personality. May you find the assistance you need, because it's not here.

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/state/CA/Los+Angeles.html

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2014, 10:21:37 PM »
Don't  worry Ryou.  no assistance is needed in any way shape or form.

Offline LILHOWDOG

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2014, 01:43:55 AM »
Never have i seen one person get so many folks knickers in a twist.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2014, 08:15:38 AM »

It is interesting isn't it?

Offline ban basketball

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2014, 10:39:08 AM »
I find it equally interesting.  I could write a six page essay on why it's so-Sparky has hit the nail on the head with some of it-but for people to find what Sparky says to be so offensive and incendiary, all the while we have posts on here that deride police and wish bad things on them, hate our system of gubment, proclaim that young kids are best sent to their own devices into the middle of the desert, and openly call those less fortunate than us "cheats" and "weasels," all the while proclaiming the "glory of God."

Yes, Sparky is terribly offensive.   
"WELL WE LOVE DIVERSITY OF OPINIONS HERE AT THEOPENMAT! "-VISE GRIP 1-16-15   (NOW TELL HER HOW YOU HAD SPARKY AND ME BANNED).

RONSNAP/HERKEY, "FAITHFUL" UNI FAN THROUGH THICK AND THIN: "THE NEXT PROMO PIC WILL HAVE TO SAY (COLON) LOST TO THE NEW #1" AFTER TONIGHT...I HOPE."- 30 DEC 13, 04:04 PM

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2014, 07:44:13 PM »
I don't find him be offensive at all. 

Lonely
Obsessive
Compulsive
Schizoid
Bore

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2014, 07:56:11 PM »
I don't find him be offensive at all. 

Lonely
Obsessive
Compulsive
Schizoid
Bore

Not in the least bit lonely and without knowing me personally you really do not have any basis for making that assumption.

Obsessive and compulsive, yep as are all people who excell at what they do.

Schizoid, nope.

Bore, everyone is a bore to certain people.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2014, 12:51:52 PM »
Curious if any posters would agree with institutionalizing people simply because they do not believe in god?

http://richarddawkins.net/2014/07/nigerian-put-in-mental-hospital-for-atheism/

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2014, 12:47:41 PM »
Great article and watch the invocation which is an embedded link if you have time.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/our-humanity-naturally/201407/blessing-in-disguise-atheists-0