Author Topic: Coach Sparky's atheism thread.  (Read 19499 times)

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
  • Tolerate everthing but Intolerance
    • View Profile
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Bigotry disguised as religious liberty is still BIGOTRY

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Coach Sparky's atheism thread.
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2014, 09:47:24 AM »
http://thehumanist.com/commentary/why-the-way-we-live-is-more-important

Here is an excellent quote from the article I am attaching.

My evolving understanding of the Abrahamic God condoned neither Christianity’s historical atrocities nor its contemporary headlines. Rather, it reinforced the demand for compassionate response to the complexities of human life and led me to reject much that is taught as Christianity. Eventually, I came to realize that what I name “god” is not at all exclusive to that term, or to Christianity and its Abrahamic siblings. It is an amalgam of humanistic principles bound up with the belief that, because we need one another, we must learn how to love one another. It is something shared throughout the human family that, over the course of our long history together, has birthed diverse traditions and religions.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Offline Jointdoc55

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • Loyalty, integrity & strength through brotherhood
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2014, 09:19:51 PM »
The lady doth protest too much, me thinks.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2014, 09:19:05 AM »

Why would you say that?  She wants people to understand people are good, caring and loving because that is what good people do.  Not because some made up old man in the sky commands it.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2014, 05:04:07 PM »

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2014, 05:11:20 PM »

I assure you sir, he is no lady!!

mspart

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2014, 05:14:45 PM »

I assure you sir, he is no lady!!

mspart

He was talking about the young lady who is the atheist minister of a Christian congregation in the article.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2014, 11:56:54 AM »

Offline ban basketball

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2014, 02:21:35 PM »
Thankfully not all ultra-conservative evangelicals are this loony.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/pastor_pleased_ebola_could_solve_america_s_problems_with_atheism_and_homosexuality
My goodness!  Weirdos like that have about as much to do with Christianity as do atheists ( no offense intended), and what gives Christianity a bad name to those who know so little about it.
"WELL WE LOVE DIVERSITY OF OPINIONS HERE AT THEOPENMAT! "-VISE GRIP 1-16-15   (NOW TELL HER HOW YOU HAD SPARKY AND ME BANNED).

RONSNAP/HERKEY, "FAITHFUL" UNI FAN THROUGH THICK AND THIN: "THE NEXT PROMO PIC WILL HAVE TO SAY (COLON) LOST TO THE NEW #1" AFTER TONIGHT...I HOPE."- 30 DEC 13, 04:04 PM

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile

Offline ban basketball

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2014, 01:37:54 PM »
Good article about the sea change of "religious liberty" cases.  I like this quote contained in the article.

"We know that conservatives will continue to market their prejudices under the guise of religious freedom," said the Rev. Nancy Wilson, head of the Metropolitan Community Churches, a denomination formed as a refuge for gay Christians. "Everyone loves religious liberty, but we dare not confuse sincere prejudice with sincere religion."

http://wcfcourier.com/news/national/from-peyote-to-sex-religious-liberty-fight-recast/article_76da7f97-5850-5157-b18e-202d61723ca0.html
"WELL WE LOVE DIVERSITY OF OPINIONS HERE AT THEOPENMAT! "-VISE GRIP 1-16-15   (NOW TELL HER HOW YOU HAD SPARKY AND ME BANNED).

RONSNAP/HERKEY, "FAITHFUL" UNI FAN THROUGH THICK AND THIN: "THE NEXT PROMO PIC WILL HAVE TO SAY (COLON) LOST TO THE NEW #1" AFTER TONIGHT...I HOPE."- 30 DEC 13, 04:04 PM

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2014, 01:01:01 PM »
Interesting well written.

https://richarddawkins.net/2014/08/how-atheists-can-overcome-a-reputation-of-arrogance/

I can empathize with religious groups whose mission is to convert everyone in the world, since I think the world would be better if everyone “saw the light” of secular humanism. But whether religious or secular, I believe the best form of proselytizing is to lead by example. I think Matthew 7:16 had it right — “By their fruits you shall know them.”

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2014, 02:48:13 PM »
I have said it myself, if this guy had been pope when I was struggling with beliefs in the mid to late seventies, I may still be Catholic.

http://www.upworthy.com/pope-francis-offers-surprising-take-on-science-versus-religion?c=ufb1

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2014, 08:40:04 PM »
I wonder if any of the Christian theist posters would like to defend the posting of hatred in this story?

http://mobile.rawstory.com/all/2014-08-10-burn-in-hell-christians-respond-on-facebook-to-al-atheist-with-death-threats-hatred#1

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2014, 03:50:15 PM »
Some people just seem oblivious to the true meaning of the separation of church and state.  It is not about government forcing a religious view on people or even about an explicit statement endorsing a religion.  It is all about implicit endorsements of religion by the government.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/13/elisabeth-hasselbeck-links-atheists-forcing-prayer-out-of-school-to-christian-deaths-in-iraq/