Author Topic: RIP Robin Williams  (Read 1559 times)

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
  • Tolerate everthing but Intolerance
    • View Profile
RIP Robin Williams
« on: August 11, 2014, 08:00:53 PM »
Dead of apparent suicide at age 63.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Bigotry disguised as religious liberty is still BIGOTRY

Offline DiMaria

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Sardinia Pride
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Robin Williams
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 08:08:54 PM »
RIP one of the best in our generation. He will be missed.

Ps- Being depressed sucks. He's gone because of it!
"Find something you love to do and you'll never have to work a day in your life."

-Confucius

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
  • Tolerate everthing but Intolerance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 08:34:23 PM »
RIP one of the best in our generation. He will be missed.

Ps- Being depressed sucks. He's gone because of it!

He will be missed.  Don't really know about the depression issue.  Have been lucky myself that way but have friends who deal wit it.  Those of us who have never experienced true depression have no room for questioning.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Bigotry disguised as religious liberty is still BIGOTRY

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 09:06:07 PM »
Known for his comedy, i was  much bigger fan of the serious movies he was in (although many of those had comedic moments).   Depression is an ugly thing,

Looking at his body of work is just amazing.  Made a lot of movies over the years
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/robin_williams/
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline ban basketball

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 09:46:35 AM »
According to the news last night, the World According to Garp was his first film, but the filmography shows that Popeye was his first movie, a full two years earlier.
"WELL WE LOVE DIVERSITY OF OPINIONS HERE AT THEOPENMAT! "-VISE GRIP 1-16-15   (NOW TELL HER HOW YOU HAD SPARKY AND ME BANNED).

RONSNAP/HERKEY, "FAITHFUL" UNI FAN THROUGH THICK AND THIN: "THE NEXT PROMO PIC WILL HAVE TO SAY (COLON) LOST TO THE NEW #1" AFTER TONIGHT...I HOPE."- 30 DEC 13, 04:04 PM

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 10:05:42 AM »
Known for his comedy, i was  much bigger fan of the serious movies he was in (although many of those had comedic moments).   Depression is an ugly thing,

Looking at his body of work is just amazing.  Made a lot of movies over the years
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/robin_williams/

Amazing talent to handle that breadth of characters so well.  Lots of comics seem to have depression issues.  It feeds their comedy and to some extent their "genius" but also, unfortunately, leads to situations like this.  May he rest in peace.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline ban basketball

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 10:10:05 AM »
Well thought condolence.

"Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan, and everything in between," Obama said. "But he was one of a kind."

"He arrived in our lives as an alien," Obama said, "but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit. He made us laugh. He made us cry. He gave his immeasurable talent freely and generously to those who needed it most — from our troops stationed abroad to the marginalized on our own streets."

The president added: "The Obama family offers our condolences to Robin's family, his friends, and everyone who found their voice and their verse thanks to Robin Williams."
"WELL WE LOVE DIVERSITY OF OPINIONS HERE AT THEOPENMAT! "-VISE GRIP 1-16-15   (NOW TELL HER HOW YOU HAD SPARKY AND ME BANNED).

RONSNAP/HERKEY, "FAITHFUL" UNI FAN THROUGH THICK AND THIN: "THE NEXT PROMO PIC WILL HAVE TO SAY (COLON) LOST TO THE NEW #1" AFTER TONIGHT...I HOPE."- 30 DEC 13, 04:04 PM

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 06:55:59 PM »
Robin Williams was one of the top comedic minds of his era.  This is a tragic loss of one of the top comedic as well as dramatic entertainers.  His sharp, crisp mind can be matched by few.  I remember catching him on Johnny Carson one night.  He was in a rare form even for Robin Williams and Johnny stayed with him for the full 1 1/2 hours holding all of his other guests in his green room.  His schtick was totally ad libbed.  His brilliance will be missed.

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 07:01:40 PM »
He was so quick to free-associate.  I read where someone had a slip of the tongue when discussing one of his movies during a co-interview by saying it was set in a menstrual hospital instead of a mental hospital, and he immediately quipped, "It's a period piece."
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline ban basketball

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 10:35:49 PM »
He was so quick to free-associate.  I read where someone had a slip of the tongue when discussing one of his movies during a co-interview by saying it was set in a menstrual hospital instead of a mental hospital, and he immediately quipped, "It's a period piece."

Not to toot my own horn, but that would have been an easy one to me.

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 02:19:26 PM »

Not to toot my own horn

Then don't

Offline ban basketball

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 03:42:54 PM »

Not to toot my own horn

Then don't

Dern!  Too late.  Maybe you can be the one to lobby for the edit function to be returned if you find the post so troublesome.