Poll

What is the most dishonest profession?

Prostitution
Politics
Legal
Journalism

Author Topic: Worlds most dishonest profession  (Read 8206 times)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Worlds most dishonest profession
« on: September 19, 2014, 11:39:11 AM »
Some tough choices here.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Intensity guru

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • MEMENTO MORI
    • View Profile
Re: Worlds most dishonest profession
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 07:38:33 PM »
What's dishonest about prostitution? You want a BJ. They're selling BJ's. You pay money and you get a BJ.
I always bring my hips to the party.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 09:32:14 PM »
What's dishonest about prostitution? You want a BJ. They're selling BJ's. You pay money and you get a BJ.
They got added for comparison purposes
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:51:32 PM »

Sneaky ones give you a handy and make you think it's a BJ.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline lkwdsteve

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 11:05:53 PM »

1. bankers
2. religious teachers

other professions have pockets of dishonesty ie-salesmen, insurers, etc.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 12:21:26 PM »

Sneaky ones give you a handy and make you think it's a BJ.

You shouldnt be drinking so much.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 10:18:47 AM »

1. bankers
2. religious teachers

For that matter, all professions have pockets of dishonesty.  That really wasn't the question.

mspart

Offline lkwdsteve

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 06:56:08 PM »

1. bankers
2. religious teachers

For that matter, all professions have pockets of dishonesty.  That really wasn't the question.

mspart

And  salesmen and insurers, who I considered briefly for top 4, wasn't really my answer to the question.

My answer was listed first:
1. BANKERS (or moneychangers/financiers).
2. religious teachers.

I think that was pretty clear.

I'm left to muse about why you went out of your way to complain about the structure of my response, which I thought was essentially straightforward.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 10:07:55 PM »

1. bankers
2. religious teachers

mspart

And  salesmen and insurers, who I considered briefly for top 4, wasn't really my answer to the question.

My answer was listed first:
1. BANKERS (or moneychangers/financiers).
2. religious teachers.

I think that was pretty clear.

I'm left to muse about why you went out of your way to complain about the structure of my response, which I thought was essentially straightforward.

Im curious.... how are "money changers" dishonest. And given there is no proof there is no God how are religious teachers dishonest?

Offline lkwdsteve

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 11:36:01 PM »
Keep in mind that measuring dishonesty would happen in a continuum. As I, and then mspart alluded to, there will be "pockets" in all professions.

"I'm curious.... how are "money changers" dishonest."

I think that about 80 percent of what Wall Street does should be illegal. It's certainly unethical, thus philosophically unacceptable. That is my opinion. If you disagree, I will not convince you otherwise. Wall Street should be an open market to match folks, with money to invest, with businesses looking for funds. Let's take the simple example of betting on a business to fail. Given what, in my opinion, "should be", that is a dishonest act.

"And given there is no proof there is no God how are religious teachers dishonest?"

Are you suggesting that, if God exists, there can be no dishonest religious teachers? That is what your question seems to imply.

That aside, what percent of wars have been fought on religious grounds throughout history even up to current times? How many state-sponsored or community-sponsored murders within various societies have happened, with religion as the reason? Are not most (almost all?) religions supposed to be peaceful? Seems like a high degree of dishonesty has existed in teachings.

Again I don't expect to convince anyone here. Of the original poll list I believe that two of them (prostitution and journalism) have a higher degree of honesty then many others. But there are not perfect professions by any means.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »
Sounds to me like your bytch is with capitalism as a whole.

Offline lkwdsteve

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 05:49:14 PM »
Sounds to me like your bytch is with capitalism as a whole.

Hmmm. Assumes facts not in evidence, and ignores some that are.

Offline lkwdsteve

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 05:58:33 PM »
There is one profession that seems by definition to be dishonest, and that is the intelligence business. At first glance I figured just the lowest level (spies) were the dishonest ones, but upon reflection, I realized that the next level up (case officers) often practiced dishonesty in their recruitment. Further the main office of spy services have hardly been known for transparency to the public or other parts of government even to those parts charged with their  oversight.

Maybe too obvious, but probably this is the most dishonest of the professions.

Offline lkwdsteve

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 06:04:05 PM »
And yes, intelligence services are a necessity, here and elsewhere. The tricky part is monitoring them.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 06:55:17 PM »
It could be argued the four choices are really distinctions without a difference.
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb