Poll

What is the most dishonest profession?

Prostitution
Politics
Legal
Journalism

Author Topic: Worlds most dishonest profession  (Read 8203 times)

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Re: Worlds most dishonest profession
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 09:19:49 PM »
Prostitution - nothing dishonest here, it's an upfront profession.  I trust the lady before any of the other 3.

Politics - for dishonesty.....politicians probably beat out teh bankers, but not by much.  bankers pay fines, politicians go to jail

Legal - not many lawyers are dihonest, unless they are politicians.  A bunch of skeeves, but lets face, not generally not dishonest.

Journalism - in total, not much dishonesty here, but if you retitle to news media, then yea, may well exceed politicians.  I'd trust a used car salesman before a newspaper writer.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 11:08:37 AM »
Prostitution - nothing dishonest here, it's an upfront profession.  I trust the lady before any of the other 3.

Politics - for dishonesty.....politicians probably beat out teh bankers, but not by much.  bankers pay fines, politicians go to jail

Legal - not many lawyers are dihonest, unless they are politicians.  A bunch of skeeves, but lets face, not generally not dishonest.

Journalism - in total, not much dishonesty here, but if you retitle to news media, then yea, may well exceed politicians.  I'd trust a used car salesman before a newspaper writer.
I agree with you on prostitution.  Truth be known, probably one of the most honest professions around (I only included them to make a point here). Likewise on bankers, they have specific rules that they must follow or they go to jail.  Lawyers too have a long list rules to follow or they get disbarred. People sometimes forget they are paid advocates, thus they are not bound by any concepts of fairness of impartiality.

That leaves politicians and journalists. At least we can vote out politicians and if they break the law they can also be disbarred (in most cases) or even thrown in jail. But they have no duty to impartiality nor is any expected of them. Which brings us to journalists. Their rules of conduct (http://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp) arent even rules but mere suggestions thus hold less weight than the paper they are printed on. So not only can they lie and fabricate, they have a Constitutional amendment that shelters them when they do so. That's ok and should be supported, but its their pious self righteous facade of impartiality that makes them utterly and inherently dishonest to the core.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »
You guys have obviously never frequented prostitutes.  My experience is they'll steal anything not nailed down and lie about anything at anytime.
We are the storm.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 10:55:57 AM »
You guys have obviously never frequented prostitutes.  My experience is they'll steal anything not nailed down and lie about anything at anytime.

I'll have to take your word for it buck..... but it still doesnt change our votes.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Hardcore

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 03:35:38 PM »
You get what you pay for Buck.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 04:14:05 PM »
you're picking up the wrong ladies of night.  frankly the good ones, you don't pick up.  they deliver
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 10:24:40 AM »
I say journalism.  They like to say they are impartial but they are far from it in many cases.  Politics is just all slimy so there is no credible expectation of sincerity. 

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 10:48:31 PM »
I say journalism.  They like to say they are impartial but they are far from it in many cases.  Politics is just all slimy so there is no credible expectation of sincerity. 

mspart

This is exactly right

Offline sp103

• LXP
  • World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 01:39:29 PM »
Isn't being a lawyer kind of like an unofficial internship to become a politician?

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 02:33:43 PM »
Isn't being a lawyer kind of like an unofficial internship to become a politician?

It seems so. 

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_percentage_of_US_congress_members_are_lawyers

According to the Congressional Research Service 170 members of the House and 60 Senators are lawyers.

Out of a total of 435 U.S. Representatives and 100 Senators (535 total in Congress), lawyers comprise the biggest voting block of one type, making up 43% of Congress. Sixty percent of the U.S. Senate is lawyers.
Enough said. 37.2% of the House of Representatives are lawyers.

There are 81 Republican lawyers in Congress who list "lawyer" as their profession. There are 123 Democrat lawyers in Congress that list "lawyer" as their profession. Some may have not told that they had a law degree or practiced law, because they were doing something else, e.g., doctor, industrialist, teacher, real estate agent/broker, etc. It seems that the medical and real estate professions are also heavily represented in Congress

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile

Offline heelpick

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 03:53:18 PM »
I would go with politician.  Neither side really cares about the constituents. It is all about power currying favors and then taking lucrative lobbyist jobs if and when they leave office.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 04:17:18 PM »
I am sure this is ultimately true for many politicians on the national level.  Perhaps even the state level. 

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »
I would go with politician.  Neither side really cares about the constituents. It is all about power currying favors and then taking lucrative lobbyist jobs if and when they leave office.

This is all very true and truth be known we probably have no idea as to the depth and pervasiveness of the bribes, kickbacks and overall corruption of politicians. But few people have illusions that politicians arent mostly corrupt and dishonest. And not only are there legal authorities that they have to worry about but also other politicians (and to a more partisan degree journalists).  So when they do get caught there are usually significant consequences.

Not so with journalists. Libel laws are a joke and partisanship is tacitly encouraged by management and colleagues.

Offline lkwdsteve

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 06:35:19 PM »
Broadcasters, news "analysts", columnists, and editorial boards members ARE NOT real journalists. But, alas, my defense of journalism looks lame (even to me).

I've always said that effective journalism is what stands between us and the abyss. But, times change.

The intelligence business is the most dishonest, at least externally. And maybe internally also.