Poll

When will Havana be awarded a Major League Baseball Team?

0-5 years
0 (0%)
5-10 years
3 (37.5%)
10-20 years
1 (12.5%)
Never
4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: January 17, 2015, 07:28:04 PM

Author Topic: Havana Major League baseball team  (Read 2914 times)

Offline lkwdsteve

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Havana Major League baseball team
« on: December 18, 2014, 07:28:04 PM »
With normal relations finally, at long last, restored with Cuba, will a culture shift begin to happen?

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Havana Major League baseball team
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 06:01:00 PM »
My guess is they won't.  Mexico doesn't.  Dom Republic doesn't.  Only Canada does and they are just over the border.  My guess is don't hold your breath.

mspart

Offline lkwdsteve

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 04:45:28 PM »
My guess is they won't.  Mexico doesn't.  Dom Republic doesn't.  Only Canada does and they are just over the border.  My guess is don't hold your breath.

mspart

I won't. Pardon my exuberance. It was when Toronto got their team, that I first thought about Havana, having the opinion then that relations with Cuba were totally unacceptable, regardless of fault. Over 50 years of hard feelings has had to pass before any attempt to repair relations.

A shame.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 08:26:27 PM »
There good players will be able to get here even easier now word
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 01:38:30 AM »
When the expos left Montreal, there was talk of them moving to San Juan. However, that plan was squashed when people thought about the travel schedule the players would have to endure.

I suspect it will be the same regarding starting a team in Havana. 

If quick a dn cheap commercial  flights can become the norm between Havana and Miami, I wonder if the Marlins could be the defacto "home team" for Havana.

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 10:26:20 AM »
Could and should happen.
We are the storm.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »
Cuban citizens wouldn't be able to pay the admission fees necessary to support a MLB team.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 10:02:43 PM »
That is probably the clincher.  At least that is the case right now.

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 03:32:25 PM »

mspart

I won't. Pardon my exuberance. It was when Toronto got their team, that I first thought about Havana, having the opinion then that relations with Cuba were totally unacceptable, regardless of fault. Over 50 years of hard feelings has had to pass before any attempt to repair relations.

A shame.

Toronto and Montreal both have vibrant economies with lots of people who can afford the expenses of major league ball game experience, Cuba doesnt and wont anytime soon. AA? AAA? Sure. MLB.... probably not in the next 50 years.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell