Author Topic: Best NCAA finals matches?  (Read 5835 times)

Offline heelpick

• DI
    • View Profile
Best NCAA finals matches?
« on: February 08, 2015, 02:22:09 PM »
The other site's front page has a poll of the best NCAA finals match but they only list 8 match ups and quite frankly the list sucks.  It was an arbitrary list of course and not sure the criteria, so lets come up with our own best matches and maybe some criteria for our choices.  A couple of my favorites are Rob Rohn for comeback pin after being down by double digits.  Also Mitch Clark's first period tech fall.  Oh Dan Gable vs Larry Owings was not on their list which surprised me.

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
Re: Best NCAA finals matches?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 04:53:40 PM »
It's an official NCAA thing, not just something the "other site" made up.  http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2015-02-06/ncaa-epic-eight-voting-challenge

5 of 8 matches feature Iowa guys.  McIlravy over Abas would be my pick.  Perry over Hendricks might be the only time that neutral fans were cheering for the Iowa guy to win.  Caldwell over Metcalf will have the most anti-Iowa votes, but it is one of the worst finals IMO.  Joe Williams match shouldn't be on there, and they have the wrong Banach match.  Like you said, the Rohn pin should have been in this somewhere.
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Offline heelpick

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 07:23:39 PM »
I don't mean it as something against themat.  My complaint is that the list plain sucked.  Makes me wonder who at the NCAA made the list.  Rob Rohn is huge. 

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 08:28:32 PM »
I dont understand the support for the Rohn match. Yes it was VERY dramatic, no doubt, but the vast majority of that match was an a$$ kicking and the one move and its over. Dramatic ending? You bet! Unique match? No doubt! Great match. No way.

My choice would be Mills v Gonzales
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline heelpick

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 09:14:26 PM »
Of course you say it wasn't a great match, an okie that snatched defeat out of the hands of victory.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 03:26:04 PM »
Of course you say it wasn't a great match, an okie that snatched defeat out of the hands of victory.

I explained why I didnt I didnt think it qualified as a all time great match. Did I say anything that was false or unreasonable?

Sure I was disappointed but that should not disqualify me from pointing out why that match wasnt an all time great match. If you want to call it unusual or atypical, I wouldnt quibble a bit.

But great match? Sorry, it just doesnt measure up to so many others.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline heelpick

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 05:03:23 PM »
A dramatic pin after being behind is precisely what made it a great match.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 05:54:25 PM »
A dramatic pin after being behind is precisely what made it a great match.

So.... 5-10 seconds of excitement overcomes over 2 periods of mediocrity? I dont think so.

Offline heelpick

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 07:35:24 PM »
Its arbitrary and subjective anyway neither your or my opinion is worth a crap

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 07:46:31 PM »
The look on Spates's face was priceless.  The match set the Oklahoma program back 20 years.
We are the storm.

Offline heelpick

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 08:22:04 PM »
They will never win another NCAA title.  Unless they drop down to Div II!

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 10:53:54 PM »
They will never win another NCAA title.  Unless they drop down to Div II!
Since OU won its last title in 1974 there have been 6 different schools win the title....Thats a lot of teams not winning the NCAA.

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 09:31:03 AM »
Best I've seen was Ness/Dennis in 2010. What an ending.
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 09:42:47 AM »
"The Screw Job"

Oliver/Stieber 2012
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 10:31:28 AM »
I like the Schultz match.  Two horses going at it.  Mark moves up a weight to prevent Banach from being a 4 time champion.  This really was a great match. 

mspart