Author Topic:  (Read 2582 times)

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:59:07 AM »
Thoughts on Brandon Slay being brought in to coach at the OTC?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Cougar1 »
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 12:07:20 PM »
I dont kow a ton about him to be honest, but on the surface I see nothing wrong with it
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Viratas »
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 12:19:53 PM »
They are actually shaking up both mens and womens. I think Brandon wil be an excellent addition. The women frequently come up to our HS wrestling room and they have the residents training with Terry but also several who are now training with Levi and a couple with Keith. They all get along real well and wrestle each other so I think it will enhance everyones game.

Zeke came to our dual last week so some of us got to meet him. I think he's going to be good for the program though I was really fond of Kevin.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Cougar1 »
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 12:34:07 PM »
I think Brandon will be a great motivator. I'm not sure what his technique is like. I assume he has continued to work out with the other Dallas Dynamite guys, but not sure how intensely.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by AKIN »
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline SnotRocket

• LXP
  • National Champ
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 08:18:33 PM »
I got to wrestle him at a camp our college put on for FCA, he was one of the guest clinicians.  He was an awesome guy, had some great stuff to show and was a class act.  Of course this was at an FCA wrestling camp, but he was as genuine as they come.  Very intense on the mat, I think that will make our guys better.  He's been away from wrestling for a few years but maybe the break gave him some time to get that fire back.  Awesome for our international team.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by SnotRocket »
My girlfriend and I went to a dinner party the other night and we ended up playing charades. There was another couple there that was deaf. They were so good.

Offline AnthonyMarston

• DI
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 04:08:01 PM »
Quote from: "SnotRocket"
I got to wrestle him at a camp our college put on for FCA, he was one of the guest clinicians.  He was an awesome guy, had some great stuff to show and was a class act.  Of course this was at an FCA wrestling camp, but he was as genuine as they come.  Very intense on the mat, I think that will make our guys better.  He's been away from wrestling for a few years but maybe the break gave him some time to get that fire back.  Awesome for our international team.
How did your match with Slay go?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by AnthonyMarston »
Ok, stop right there.........and I'll bring back the sun.

Offline SnotRocket

• LXP
  • National Champ
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 11:46:11 PM »
It was during a break in the camp, I was proud of myself that I only got thrown off the mat once.   :D
My girlfriend and I went to a dinner party the other night and we ended up playing charades. There was another couple there that was deaf. They were so good.

Offline AnthonyMarston

• DI
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 02:58:52 AM »
Quote from: "SnotRocket"
It was during a break in the camp, I was proud of myself that I only got thrown off the mat once.   :D
 I can honestly say I've never wrestled an Olympic champ.  That is beyond cool.  

Only thrown off the mat once - you did better than Saitiev did against him! :)

Offline SnotRocket

• LXP
  • National Champ
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 07:02:55 AM »
I wrestled Ben Askren, too, that was a real match at the UCM Open.  I held the score to 0-0 through the first period, but I picked bottom in the second and he proceeded to cradle me up and rock me to sleep.  I had to wrestle some tough guys considering I went to an NAIA school (Missouri Baptist U.)

Offline AnthonyMarston

• DI
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 10:20:24 AM »
Askren never really looked very strong ( outwardly ).

I am guessing he has deceptive power?  How was his strength?  Was he mainly technique?

To keep it 0 - 0 for an entire period - you should have wrestled D1, Rocket!

Offline SnotRocket

• LXP
  • National Champ
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 02:20:33 PM »
I think the reason why Ben has such deceptive strength is his body positioning while he sets up moves.  He knows exactly where to apply pressure and in which direction so that he doesn't have to waste energy pushing so hard on a solid post or running in Curly shuffles trying to apply a half.  I think that's also why his funk is so successful for him.  I would have loved to wrestle D1, but I wasn't the big recruit in my senior class and nobody even looked at me.  I was just the drilling partner... :(

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 10:44:10 AM »
I was just the drilling partner...

Too bad it wasnt a women's wrestling team.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by ViseGrip »
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell