Author Topic: Dear Abby  (Read 1831 times)

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline n9531l

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Hate nothin' but hatred
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Abby
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 05:40:12 PM »
Do people still remember that Dear Abby and Ann Landers were twin sisters?
Orthography is next to cleanliness, which is next to godliness. - n9531l

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 10:51:20 AM »
Only us old farts
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 01:51:36 PM »
I call conspiracy.  That woman's name is not Abby.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 10:55:41 PM »
Speaking of Dear Abby,  I keep getting her letters on my yahoo news feed.  Yesterday in a taxi, I read a few of the letters she replied to.

Is Dear Abby (or any of the many newspaper advice columns) insured?  What if she simply gives bad advice that hurts, gets someone fire, or causes the spouse to divorce the letter writer?  Do newspapers that carry her letters have to get additional insurance?  Has she ever been sued? Are advice columns protected by the first amendment?

That is to say that the letters are actually legit and are not pranks or written by her publishing company.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 06:52:03 AM »

Dear Abby,

My husband is a liar and a cheat. He has cheated on me from the beginning, and, when I confront him, he denies everything. What’s worse, everyone knows that he cheats on me. It is so humiliating.

Also, since he lost his job 14 years ago, he hasn’t even looked for a new one. All he does all day is smoke cigars, cruise around and shoot the bull with his buddies, while I have to work to pay the bills.

Since our daughter went away to college he doesn’t even pretend to like me, and even hints that I may be a lesbian.

What should I do?

Signed: Clueless

Dear Clueless:

Grow up and dump him. You don’t need him anymore! Good grief woman, you’re running for President of the United States.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 09:05:24 PM »
Only us old farts

Says the zygote....
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow