Two Year Community College
1 (9.1%)
Four Year Degree
4 (36.4%)
Advanced Degree
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 02, 2015, 12:41:07 pm

Author Topic: Academic Achievement  (Read 3688 times)

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Academic Achievement
« on: August 28, 2015, 12:41:08 pm »
Just curious, please be honest.
If every black male 18-35 applied for a conceal & carry permit, and then joined the NRA in one day; there would be gun control laws in a second.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Academic Achievement
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 12:44:50 pm »
I have my bachelors in History-Poli Sci .... so basically a useless degree but I have it
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 01:14:34 pm »
I have my bachelors in History-Poli Sci .... so basically a useless degree but I have it

Too bad you cant get your money back.

I think maybe that colleges should have to be on the hook for part of those college loans. If they hand out degrees for major's that have little or no market value, (ie women's studies, art history, etc.) and that student cant find a job after graduating, and cant make payments, then those colleges should part of the default.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 02:19:34 pm »
Why do you consider a degree in History-Poli Sci worthless? 
If every black male 18-35 applied for a conceal & carry permit, and then joined the NRA in one day; there would be gun control laws in a second.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 02:30:21 pm »
Why do you consider a degree in History-Poli Sci worthless?
Bryce certainly does. Other than go into politics at an entry level that pays less than starbucks... what can you do with it...besides get more schooling?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 02:54:05 pm »
I am not using it ... maybe useless is a bad description.  it was meant to be my undergrad work before going to Law School ... after taking LSATs and being accepted I backed out and didn't go. 

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 02:57:50 pm »
I am not using it ... maybe useless is a bad description.  it was meant to be my undergrad work before going to Law School ... after taking LSATs and being accepted I backed out and didn't go.

Thats all its really good for.. is more schooling.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 03:01:54 pm »
meant I didn't have to get up before 11 during the week though except for early practices which was nice

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 03:26:02 pm »
Google is an amazing tool, literally thousands of wildly successful (made tons of money) people who were history majors.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 03:28:17 pm »
Google is an amazing tool, literally thousands of wildly successful (made tons of money) people who were history majors.

And just how did all that knowledge of European, American and Ancient History play into their entrepreneurship?

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 03:45:16 pm »
Why don't you ask Mitt or Carly?

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 03:51:52 pm »
Why don't you ask Mitt or Carly?

Mitt Romney...
He earned a Bachelor of Arts in English with highest honors in 1971,[44] giving commencement addresses to both the College of Humanities and to the whole of BYU.[nb 7]

Mitt Romney wanted to pursue a business career, but his father advised him that a law degree would be valuable to his career even if he did not become a lawyer.[54][55] Thus, he enrolled in the recently created joint Juris Doctor/Master of Business Administration four-year program coordinated between Harvard Law School and Harvard Business School.[56

Carly....
She received a Bachelor of Arts in philosophy and medieval history from Stanford University in 1976. During her summers, she worked as a secretary for Kelly Services.[31] She attended the UCLA School of Law in 1976 but dropped out[32] after one semester and worked as a receptionist for six months at a real estate firm Marcus & Millichap, moving up to a broker position before leaving for Bologna, Italy, where she taught English.[33]

Fiorina received a Master of Business Administration in marketing from the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland, College Park in 1980. She obtained a Master of Science in management from the MIT Sloan School of Management under the Sloan Fellows program in 1989.[34]

You're making my point

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 08:46:06 pm »
I consider my history degree worthless, and will be worthless when I go back for my masters and potentially a Phd as well. I just like History
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 11:15:36 am »
I consider my history degree worthless, and will be worthless when I go back for my masters and potentially a Phd as well. I just like History

History is widely considered one of the most worthless degrees. Not many jobs in the field and most of them in HS are taken by wrestling coaches, lol.

Read "Rise and Fall of the Great Powers" by Paul Kennedy sometime, if you like history. Good stuff!
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 03:55:17 pm »

History is widely considered one of the most worthless degrees. Not many jobs in the field and most of them in HS are taken by wrestling coaches, lol.

Read "Rise and Fall of the Great Powers" by Paul Kennedy sometime, if you like history. Good stuff!

I'm toying with the idea of developing an actual formula to predict the collapse of Empires. I've found you need just the right mix of external pressures coupled with internal strife borne from social inequality. I really think you can predict it. We haven't really had anything resembling an Empire since the Eastern Bloc though
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature