Two Year Community College
1 (9.1%)
Four Year Degree
4 (36.4%)
Advanced Degree
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 02, 2015, 12:41:07 pm

Author Topic: Academic Achievement  (Read 3924 times)

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Academic Achievement
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 06:08:26 pm »
I consider my history degree worthless, and will be worthless when I go back for my masters and potentially a Phd as well. I just like History

History is widely considered one of the most worthless degrees. Not many jobs in the field and most of them in HS are taken by wrestling coaches, lol.

Read "Rise and Fall of the Great Powers" by Paul Kennedy sometime, if you like history. Good stuff!

I'm toying with the idea of developing an actual formula to predict the collapse of Empires. I've found you need just the right mix of external pressures coupled with internal strife borne from social inequality. I really think you can predict it. We haven't really had anything resembling an Empire since the Eastern Bloc though

I'd probably include the USA as an "empire", economically if not geographically. And it's in decline, no doubt about it. I'd agree with you that it's somewhat predictable (the fall of empires). The Western Roman Empire was running on fumes for decades before it went tits up. The Ottoman Empire had a decline that lasted a couple centuries. How long will our decline last?
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 02:47:55 pm »
Masters in Mechanical Engineering.  I wasn't done with intramural flag football, wrestling, softball, co-ed softball, and ultimate to go to work.  So I got a masters!!

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 10:03:09 pm »
Masters in Mechanical Engineering.  I wasn't done with intramural flag football, wrestling, softball, co-ed softball, and ultimate to go to work.  So I got a masters!!

mspart

... Student Football tickets
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 03:17:53 pm »
There was that too!!  My master's project was pretty fun so I not only had fun playing, I had fun working.   

mspart

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 10:01:01 pm »
I consider my history degree worthless, and will be worthless when I go back for my masters and potentially a Phd as well. I just like History

History is widely considered one of the most worthless degrees. Not many jobs in the field and most of them in HS are taken by wrestling coaches, lol.

Read "Rise and Fall of the Great Powers" by Paul Kennedy sometime, if you like history. Good stuff!

I'm toying with the idea of developing an actual formula to predict the collapse of Empires. I've found you need just the right mix of external pressures coupled with internal strife borne from social inequality. I really think you can predict it. We haven't really had anything resembling an Empire since the Eastern Bloc though

I'd probably include the USA as an "empire", economically if not geographically. And it's in decline, no doubt about it. I'd agree with you that it's somewhat predictable (the fall of empires). The Western Roman Empire was running on fumes for decades before it went tits up. The Ottoman Empire had a decline that lasted a couple centuries. How long will our decline last?

The thing is a predictable system of decline can't really be measured for an economic empire since they are novelties in the world. An economic empire would follow the flow of the markets and doesn't suffer from the internal turmoil of an Imperialistic Empire. Case in point, how many serious bids/threats of secession from the United States have been made in the past century outside of small Tribal governments? The United States conquered the native tribes so effectively they are a nonentity in modern geopolitics, America's short lived classical Imperialism didn't really bring about the downfall of the nation because it was quickly supplanted by America's neo-Imperialism (see Japan, Iraq, Panama, etc for examples). Like economic Imperialism, Neo-Imperialism which relies more on behind the scenes influence doesn't have any historical data in order to properly measure it.

I can't even say for certain whether or not we are in a decline since we have no idea what a decline would look like
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 12:22:20 pm »
Doesn't look like this poll was available very long .. just 5 days?
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline retired

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 12:31:32 pm »
You snooze you lose.  Just tell us where you got your GED.
If every black male 18-35 applied for a conceal & carry permit, and then joined the NRA in one day; there would be gun control laws in a second.

Offline Intensity guru

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • VERA LIBERTAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 08:47:41 pm »
I'm a community college guy....  :o
I always bring my hips to the party.

Offline retired

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2015, 06:30:11 am »
Best value in education, plus CC's have screaming hot women.
If every black male 18-35 applied for a conceal & carry permit, and then joined the NRA in one day; there would be gun control laws in a second.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 11:37:51 am »
Best value in education, plus CC's have screaming hot women.
of generally questionable moral virtue which is always a nice bonus
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 02:32:30 pm »

The thing is a predictable system of decline can't really be measured for an economic empire since they are novelties in the world. An economic empire would follow the flow of the markets and doesn't suffer from the internal turmoil of an Imperialistic Empire. Case in point, how many serious bids/threats of secession from the United States have been made in the past century outside of small Tribal governments? The United States conquered the native tribes so effectively they are a nonentity in modern geopolitics, America's short lived classical Imperialism didn't really bring about the downfall of the nation because it was quickly supplanted by America's neo-Imperialism (see Japan, Iraq, Panama, etc for examples). Like economic Imperialism, Neo-Imperialism which relies more on behind the scenes influence doesn't have any historical data in order to properly measure it.

I can't even say for certain whether or not we are in a decline since we have no idea what a decline would look like

You could start by looking at industrialization numbers for those nations. Prior to World War 1 the USA was producing as much steel as the next 4 largest producers combined, as much iron as the next 3. Today China produces 9 times as much steel as the USA, which only ranks 3rd in the world in steel production (barely above India).  Of course steel/iron aren't the primary measures of military/economic power today as they were decades ago, but it plays a very big part in national defense from a productivity standpoint.

I would argue that economic superpowers DID exist prior to the 20th century and, as such, their rise and fall charted/analyzed. The Dutch were an economic superpower (barely, but they were filthy rich) for a long time, although a military midget. On the other hand the Dutch never really FELL...they seem to be thriving the same as always.

Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2015, 06:41:35 pm »

10/10    :D

mspart

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2015, 02:25:45 pm »
I can't help myself - just wondering buck, I you trying to find old classmates with the "GED comment"?   ;D
Several are on "ignore".   I won't argue with the ignorant and disrespectful..
 "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2015, 08:27:37 am »

From your mom.  But luckily there's a shot for that and it cleared right up.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline Intensity guru

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • VERA LIBERTAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2015, 05:45:33 pm »
I always bring my hips to the party.