Author Topic: Gerrymandering Wrestling in Louisville  (Read 2343 times)

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Gerrymandering Wrestling in Louisville
« on: September 29, 2015, 06:32:36 PM »
Kentucky high school follows a depressingly simple Regions -> State format since we are still trying to promote growth of the sport with obscenely large state tournament brackets. Anyway the city of Louisville encompasses two of the regions the cesspool of Kentucky wrestling Region 3 and the powerhouse Region 4. I was looking at a map of Louisville wrestling to familiarize myself more with the sort of schools we would be faced. I see now why my head coach doesn't enjoy discussing why Moore is in Region 4. The blue are Region 4 schools and the brown are Region 3 schools. Reminds me of a similar issue we had at Heights and I'm sure there are examples of this sort of stuff in every state

http://khsaa.org/wrestling/realignment/wrestling2012jeffersonbullitt.pdf
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Gerrymandering Wrestling in Louisville
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 12:27:20 PM »
How big are the brackets at the State tourney? In Oklahoma there was 8 kids per bracket (top 4 from the East/West regionals) when I was in HS. 

Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 12:41:18 PM »
How big are the brackets at the State tourney? In Oklahoma there was 8 kids per bracket (top 4 from the East/West regionals) when I was in HS.

Ya Oklahoma is still like that, really tiny state tournament.

Kentucky is a 32 man bracket. Top 4 from each of the 8 regions. The middle school state tournament is a lot smaller because they have districts and regions
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 01:01:02 PM »

Kentucky is a 32 man bracket. Top 4 from each of the 8 regions. The middle school state tournament is a lot smaller because they have districts and regions

Damn that is big.....how many different classes? Is it a one class tourney like in California?
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 04:30:56 PM »

Damn that is big.....how many different classes? Is it a one class tourney like in California?

Just one class but they give special trophies to the "small school" champ and runner up, but the same team wins Small School every year. Union County, where Brock and Caleb Ervin went to school. My old high school was small school state runner ups about two years ago but nobody really cared outside of the head coach.

Soccer and Wrestling are the only two major Kentucky sports that do a single class system.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 08:10:43 PM »

Just one class but they give special trophies to the "small school" champ and runner up,........

Ah, the participation award......I thought they went away after T Ball.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 08:13:11 PM »

Just one class but they give special trophies to the "small school" champ and runner up,........

Ah, the participation award......I thought they went away after T Ball.

I forgot they even gave out that award until the head coach ran up to me and said the team was about to win it

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 02:21:40 PM »
At least you have a middle school state tournament.