2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Dip  (Read 4522 times)

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Dip
« on: October 21, 2015, 08:51:18 AM »
Curbs hunger for about a half hour after I dip. So I guess theoretically if you have a dip in all day it'll help you cut calories. But as far as energy, It tends to drain me and cause drowsiness as nicotine normally does.
We are the storm.

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Dip
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 12:35:40 PM »
Tried it in elementary and middle school here and there.  Never liked it but wanted to fit in.  I am so glad I didn't make a habit of it.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 02:52:24 PM »
And now a public service message

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline n9531l

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Hate nothin' but hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 04:14:50 PM »
I like it. The best is the clam dip and the cheese & bacon dip, but the guacamole and spinach are not far behind.
Orthography is next to cleanliness, which is next to godliness. - n9531l

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 05:57:16 PM »
I dipped Copenhagen for about 15years until it just got too expensive. Two cans a day will do that. I still get the urge whenever I smell it.
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 08:48:09 PM »
Curbs hunger for about a half hour after I dip. So I guess theoretically if you have a dip in all day it'll help you cut calories. But as far as energy, It tends to drain me and cause drowsiness as nicotine normally does.
And, you will lose more weight and appetite when you get throat cancer.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 08:59:12 PM »
Getting cancer is a crap shoot. Some people dip their whole lives and have no issues. While others dip for a few years and die from cancer. Unfortunately, many things can cancer these days, it seems. If it were cheaper, I would still be doing it.
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 03:18:49 PM »
Getting cancer is a crap shoot. Some people dip their whole lives and have no issues. While others dip for a few years and die from cancer. Unfortunately, many things can cancer these days, it seems. If it were cheaper, I would still be doing it.
"crap shoot" huh?  Highly escalated risk I guess is a "crap shoot".

http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/tobacco/smokeless-fact-sheet

Are there harmful chemicals in smokeless tobacco?

Yes. There is no safe form of tobacco. At least 28 chemicals in smokeless tobacco have been found to cause cancer (1). The most harmful chemicals in smokeless tobacco are tobacco-specific nitrosamines, which are formed during the growing, curing, fermenting, and aging of tobacco. The level of tobacco-specific nitrosamines varies by product. Scientists have found that the nitrosamine level is directly related to the risk of cancer.

In addition to a variety of nitrosamines, other cancer-causing substances in smokeless tobacco include polonium–210 (a radioactive element found in tobacco fertilizer) and polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (also known as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) (1).

Does smokeless tobacco cause cancer?

Yes. Smokeless tobacco causes oral cancer, esophageal cancer, and pancreatic cancer (1).

Does smokeless tobacco cause other diseases?

Yes. Using smokeless tobacco may also cause heart disease, gum disease, and oral lesions other than cancer, such as leukoplakia (precancerous white patches in the mouth) (1).
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 03:31:51 PM »
No argument that it's dangerous, but it's relaxing.
We are the storm.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 10:58:38 AM »

Its just giving your brain that drug it craves and is addicted to.... so in that regard, its like heroin.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 12:49:27 PM »
cancer absolutely is a crap shoot.  obviously there are things that can increase your risk, but that's never a guarantee.

Grandfather died of lung cancer, never smoked
Mother has smoked every for last 45 years, her lungs come back perfectly clean every check up
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 03:41:58 PM »
cancer absolutely is a crap shoot.  obviously there are things that can increase your risk, but that's never a guarantee.

Mother has smoked every for last 45 years, her lungs come back perfectly clean every check up
In both cases, it is bucking up against the statistics.  There are always exceptions.

Offline Intensity guru

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • MEMENTO MORI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 10:13:43 PM »

Its just giving your brain that drug it craves and is addicted to.... so in that regard, its like heroin.
Nearly all human behavior is driven by our chemical reward system.
I always bring my hips to the party.

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 03:04:47 AM »

It's genetics plus consistent trauma that causes cancer. My mother smoked like a chimney for 50 years. She developed uterine cancer, survived treatment (stage 4...only 5% chance of survival I think), and never developed lung cancer. She quit smoking 20 years ago and her lungs are cleaner than mine.

My cousin Burt died from lung cancer and never smoked (or drank) in his life. Owned a big farm in Oklahoma and got rich from it. Died about 6 months after finishing a nice new house (he found out he had about a year to live when he started the work).

Yeah, largely a crapshoot. But if it runs in the family....worry.
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline straitshooter

• Bantam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 11:23:43 AM »
Crapshoot.  Interesting way to phrase it.

Me: Irish and German, so some alcohol over the years, far below many buddies though.  Picked up the caffeine habit in late 20's.  Red meat?  Never a steak person, too expensive.  Hot dogs, cold cuts, not to excess.  Tobacco?  Never in any form, nasty stuff (ironic, as I grew up in tobacco country).  Body fat below 10% into 30's, first marathon completed at age 37.

Age 47, sort of wondering why my energy is so low for months, then the night sweats for about 4-5 weeks.  Thought I had a bad flu that I couldn't shake, too many long hours and travel.  Sweats stopped, still lethargic though.  For a completely unrelated reason, needed a physical and bloodwork.  Repeat bloodwork.  Repeat again, every time blood counts drop.  Me thinking I have a bleeding ulcer - wrong.  Tumor a little bigger than my fist in my colon.  57% chance of survival.  Removed 20 inches of piping in surgery, then chemo - woudn't wish that on anyone.

Not quite two years later, my father has annual physical, 79 years young, no symptoms at all, feeling great.  The test for fecal blood comes up positive, doctor hears about me.  Dad had two tumors in colon, although put together smaller than mine.  He got baby chemo after surgery, through a little IV in his hand (I had the pipe in the chest, drip it in over 48 hours and still knocks you flat).  My family is working through the cancer menu.  And you'd better believe my four siblings told their docs about it and got scoped.  All of clean for the moment