Author Topic: Server Issues  (Read 3592 times)

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Server Issues
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 12:46:53 pm »
Hey - the rules are very simple.  For example, i before e except after c and except when there is some other exception not specifically listed.  Spanish spelling is really easy compared to English spelling. 

Hawaiian is easier yet!!  The Hawaiian alphabet has 13 letters: five vowels (long and short) and eight consonants, one of them being a glottal stop (called  Ľokina in Hawaiian).  Pronounciation is another matter when they create very long words.  Puahi, Kamehameha, Mauna Loa, Honolulu are fairly easy. 

Names such as Janice 'Lokelani' Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele are a bit more difficult.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2418171/Janice-Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele-Hawaiian-woman-told-trim-long-doesnt-fit-state-ID-cards.html

mspart

Offline n9531l

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • Hate nothin' but hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 12:42:19 am »
Certainly easier than Japanese, although there are only 2,136 kanji characters you have to learn to get through high school. Of course, there are another 983 used only in people's names that you really should know too.

If you think the last few posts have been off topic, consider that we couldn't make these posts if the server were down.
Orthography is next to cleanliness, which is next to godliness. - n9531l

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 09:02:26 am »
Hey - the rules are very simple.  For example, i before e except after c and except when there is some other exception not specifically listed.  Spanish spelling is really easy compared to English spelling. 

Hawaiian is easier yet!!  The Hawaiian alphabet has 13 letters: five vowels (long and short) and eight consonants, one of them being a glottal stop (called  Ľokina in Hawaiian).  Pronounciation is another matter when they create very long words.  Puahi, Kamehameha, Mauna Loa, Honolulu are fairly easy.

As I see it, we need more letters, not fewer.  There are about 44 phonemes, or basic sounds, in English.  Having fewer letters than sounds, you have to compensate with workarounds like multigraphs (i.e. groups of letters which form a single sound).

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 11:03:55 am »
Certainly easier than Japanese, although there are only 2,136 kanji characters you have to learn to get through high school. Of course, there are another 983 used only in people's names that you really should know too.

If you think the last few posts have been off topic, consider that we couldn't make these posts if the server were down.
This has always made me wonder about their keyboards. How many characters are on a typical Japanese or Chinese computer keyboard?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline n9531l

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • Hate nothin' but hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 03:07:47 pm »
For the Japanese, nowadays their keyboards usually look like ours. Not sure about the Chinese.

http://ethw.org/Word_Processing_for_the_Japanese_Language
Orthography is next to cleanliness, which is next to godliness. - n9531l