Author Topic: Two Important Points  (Read 955 times)

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
Two Important Points
« on: November 17, 2015, 10:40:21 pm »
I am occasionally reminded of a few things I've learned about coaching.  Most of the occasions where I watch a practice, for instance.

1) Talk less.

Seriously. There's about a 99% chance you think what you're saying is more important than it is.  Even if it is as important as you think it is, if you talk too much the athletes will miss much of it.  And in particular, if you tell the athletes the answer to a problem they don't have yet, it won't sink in.  Keep the athletes active.  If, then, you say the right thing at the right time, it will work wonders.

2) Ask athletes to do things they can do.

With young athletes, this relates to the first point:  they can't pay attention long, so don't ask them to.  But also, don't ask them to do things they can't physically do.  When you ask them to do penetration steps up and down the room, do they look like drunkards?  Then don't.  Their balance probably sucks.  Can't stand up off bottom?  Teach something besides a standup.  Sure, maybe the goal is for everyone to have a good shot and a good standup, but that doesn't mean going directly at it is the best way to get there.  You may need to turn them into better athletes first.

How do you know an athlete can do something?  Watch him wrestle.  If he does it, he can do it.  If he shows you he can do it, you can show him how to do it better, and the information will sink in, because now you're giving him relevant information.

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Two Important Points
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 10:03:17 pm »
I wish I would have spent more time working on stuff that I could do as opposed to forcing too many positions I had no business being in.