Author Topic: McGregor  (Read 6831 times)

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
McGregor
« on: December 13, 2015, 12:52:20 am »
is a bad man.  also Aldo walked right into that.
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
Re: McGregor
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 01:42:52 am »
13 seconds?  I don't care for mma but if I paid for that fight I would be demanding a refund.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 11:59:51 am »
is a bad man.  also Aldo walked right into that.

Agreed. I was wondering how Conor would hang with Aldo. I was expecting a war. Conor simply smashed him. The elite strikers in MMA are just getting better and better, Rockhold also impressed against a talented striker.
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 12:03:29 pm »
I think McGregor has to be close to, if not #1 PFP. I know he hasn't even defended the belt once but he's been so dominant in all his recent matches.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 10:46:32 pm »
Aldo was completely dry. Did he even warm up in the dressing room?

I assumed it would be Aldo who through the first leg-kick, not Conor.

Aldo simply launched himself with a punch and was counted. I didn't even see the punch land and I first though he tripped.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 06:22:14 am »
Aldo was completely dry. Did he even warm up in the dressing room?

I assumed it would be Aldo who through the first leg-kick, not Conor.

Aldo simply launched himself with a punch and was counted. I didn't even see the punch land and I first though he tripped.

It appeared to me he lunged and threw a right, Conor deflected the incoming right with his right; and came over with his left. Reminded me of Tyson v Spinks.

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 12:31:42 pm »
Frankie Edger has a good shot at beating McGregor, hopefully he gets a shot.
If every black male 18-35 applied for a conceal & carry permit, and then joined the NRA in one day; there would be gun control laws in a second.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 10:02:36 pm »
Frankie Edger has a good shot at beating McGregor, hopefully he gets a shot.

I would love to see that fight! Frankie has nice skills; he doesn't lunge in, has footwork, can slip a jab.....could be interesting!

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 12:04:07 pm »
Frankie also has great cardio.  He easily can go 5 rounds. I am not sure if Conor can.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 05:18:00 pm »
Frankie also has great cardio.  He easily can go 5 rounds. I am not sure if Conor can.

Good point regarding cardio! I also worry about some of the theatrics/draws Conor uses. Throwing hands wide, sticking out the chin, I hate that stuff. Bad habits become second nature and are hard to stop and control. You can do that kind of stuff against lesser talents, but if you do it against someone with footwork and hands you're getting smashed. Ask Silva.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 07:53:26 pm »

Conor seems to have pretty good endurance. He did go 3 rounds w/ Holloway who is a top fighter and looked pretty fresh the entire match.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 09:36:20 am »

Conor seems to have pretty good endurance. He did go 3 rounds w/ Holloway who is a top fighter and looked pretty fresh the entire match.

There's a difference between a 3-round fight and a 5-round fight though ... 2 rounds to be exact.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 08:17:53 pm »

There's a difference between a 3-round fight and a 5-round fight though ... 2 rounds to be exact.

This is what worries me, on one hand, Conor showed me more skills than I thought he had, on the other, he showboats. I'm flummoxed regarding his future.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 09:13:05 pm »

Yes, but the point is that he hasn't ever shown any significant fatigue so there is no reason whatsoever to doubt his endurance in a 5-round fight other than the fact that he hasn't had to go that far yet. It's not like fighters all of a sudden hit a wall at the beginning of round 4. They also tend to pace themselves, at least a little bit. In other words, the pace of the fight is usually at least a little slower in a fight that is scheduled for 5 than a fight that is scheduled for 3, especially in rounds 2 and 3. If you're concerned about his ability to go 5 rounds, you're digging pretty deep for concerns.

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 05:33:55 pm »
If nothing else Conor has shown to be about the smartest MMA fighter I have ever watched. He studies the fight game instead of just his oponent. He understands the importance of timing, body punches, head movement. It's scary that mma has so many supposed boxing trainers yet so few mma fighters understand the sweet science. Frankie has an old school boxing trainer in Mark Henry. Frankie understands these things. But Conor has mastered all the elements of the fight game. He is composed, uses his reach, uses kicks to throw you off your offense. He is difficult.

Frankie has has takedowns to threaten him with and good enough boxing to hang with him standing up and possibly outlanding him. But I think it would come down to whether Frankie can take Conor down when he needs to. Frankie is not one to force it. He follows the gamepla gamepla gamepla other. It would be a chess match that I would enjoy.
When all else fails, do the opposite...