Author Topic: McGregor  (Read 7537 times)

Online ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: McGregor
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 05:45:00 pm »
If nothing else Conor has shown to be about the smartest MMA fighter I have ever watched. He studies the fight game instead of just his oponent. He understands the importance of timing, body punches, head movement. It's scary that mma has so many supposed boxing trainers yet so few mma fighters understand the sweet science. Frankie has an old school boxing trainer in Mark Henry. Frankie understands these things. But Conor has mastered all the elements of the fight game. He is composed, uses his reach, uses kicks to throw you off your offense. He is difficult.

Frankie has has takedowns to threaten him with and good enough boxing to hang with him standing up and possibly outlanding him. But I think it would come down to whether Frankie can take Conor down when he needs to. Frankie is not one to force it. He follows the gamepla gamepla gamepla other. It would be a chess match that I would enjoy.

Your criticism of MMA boxing trainers and Conor's savy is spot on. As are your observation regarding Frankie, Edgar slipped BJ's jab, he can slip Conor's (though he does seem to spend too much time under the jab). Conor has a very good camp, lot's of people still fight in Ireland, there's lots of knowledgeable trainers. MMA boxers think there is a difference between MMA boxing and boxing. There is, most MMA boxers are still of a low level, they still lack footwork, head movement etc...There are exceptions of course, Conor, Frankie, the Diaz bros.....generally speaking though, stand up is still weak.
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 09:41:25 am »
Frankie also has great cardio.  He easily can go 5 rounds. I am not sure if Conor can.

Conor seems to have pretty good endurance. He did go 3 rounds w/ Holloway who is a top fighter and looked pretty fresh the entire match.

There's a difference between a 3-round fight and a 5-round fight though ... 2 rounds to be exact.

Yes, but the point is that he hasn't ever shown any significant fatigue so there is no reason whatsoever to doubt his endurance in a 5-round fight other than the fact that he hasn't had to go that far yet. It's not like fighters all of a sudden hit a wall at the beginning of round 4. They also tend to pace themselves, at least a little bit. In other words, the pace of the fight is usually at least a little slower in a fight that is scheduled for 5 than a fight that is scheduled for 3, especially in rounds 2 and 3. If you're concerned about his ability to go 5 rounds, you're digging pretty deep for concerns.

It can be as much, or more, psychological than it is physical.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 03:32:17 pm »
Frankie also has great cardio.  He easily can go 5 rounds. I am not sure if Conor can.

Conor seems to have pretty good endurance. He did go 3 rounds w/ Holloway who is a top fighter and looked pretty fresh the entire match.

There's a difference between a 3-round fight and a 5-round fight though ... 2 rounds to be exact.

Yes, but the point is that he hasn't ever shown any significant fatigue so there is no reason whatsoever to doubt his endurance in a 5-round fight other than the fact that he hasn't had to go that far yet. It's not like fighters all of a sudden hit a wall at the beginning of round 4. They also tend to pace themselves, at least a little bit. In other words, the pace of the fight is usually at least a little slower in a fight that is scheduled for 5 than a fight that is scheduled for 3, especially in rounds 2 and 3. If you're concerned about his ability to go 5 rounds, you're digging pretty deep for concerns.

Agreed, but there is still no indication that McGregor is going to have a problem with a 5-rounder, from what I can see. He's had 2 scheduled 5 round fights so far and I wouldn't say that he looked psychologically weak during those 2 fights, do you?
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Online ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 05:48:53 pm »
Fatigue makes cowards of us all. - Vince Lombardi
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 12:30:34 pm »

Agreed, but there is still no indication that McGregor is going to have a problem with a 5-rounder, from what I can see. He's had 2 scheduled 5 round fights so far and I wouldn't say that he looked psychologically weak during those 2 fights, do you?

He never made it to the 4th or 5th round in those fights.  His reaction to actually being in the championship rounds is yet to be seen.  People can have emotional responses to stuff like that, and the emotional response can trigger a physical reaction (such as an adrenaline dump).  In cases like that, no matter how strong their cardio is, they're going to perform differently.  Or, believing his own hype and not really expecting to have to go 5 rounds and then finding himself there, in a war .. how does he respond?  No one knows until it actually happens.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2016, 05:48:12 pm »
OK, I know he's never been to the 4th round. I'm just saying there is no indication yet that that is going to be a problem for him.

An adrenaline dump between rounds 3 & 4? I don't think so.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2016, 09:41:25 am »
I think if he is going to be pressured for 3 rounds, having someone crank on his necks, having to follow constant movement, those rounds take a greater toll on you. Thats what I think he would face with Frankie. I am not saying it would break him. It would weaken him for sure. It's what Cain also excels at.
When all else fails, do the opposite...

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 09:16:22 pm »
I think if he is going to be pressured for 3 rounds, having someone crank on his necks, having to follow constant movement, those rounds take a greater toll on you. Thats what I think he would face with Frankie. I am not saying it would break him. It would weaken him for sure. It's what Cain also excels at.

He might wear Frankie down too.

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 10:35:53 am »

Because Frankie has shown indications of wearing down in 5-round fights?
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 08:12:55 am »

Because 1) there's no indication whatsoever that McGregor has endurance issues and 2) McGregor might punish him so badly that he does wear down.

You just don't know for sure. You can't say that Edgar has a big endurance advantage over him just because nobody has been able to survive past round against McGregor in a 5 round fight. He PROBABLY has an endurance edge but if you get hit enough times (including McGregor's leg kicks to the gut) that advantage can also go away.

Looks like it will be a while anyway since McGregor appears to be fighting Dos Anjos next.

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2016, 03:49:39 pm »

Because 1) there's no indication whatsoever that McGregor has endurance issues and 2) McGregor might punish him so badly that he does wear down.

You just don't know for sure. You can't say that Edgar has a big endurance advantage over him just because nobody has been able to survive past round against McGregor in a 5 round fight. He PROBABLY has an endurance edge but if you get hit enough times (including McGregor's leg kicks to the gut) that advantage can also go away.

Looks like it will be a while anyway since McGregor appears to be fighting Dos Anjos next.

Because that is what Frankie is known to do to fighters whether they are known or not known to have a good gas tank. There is cardiovascular stamina, muscle stamina, and mental stamina at play when you have a guy who can get on top of you and make you breathe with the weight of your oponents hips on you. Non wrestlers are more suspect to be broken if they are not able to stop the takedowns.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2016, 11:31:32 am »
I liked him taking that POS Mayweather to task for using him in racism rant.
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 07:33:58 pm »
You guys are implying that Edgar will wear McGregor down simply because that is what Edgar does a lot, even though nobody has ever come close do doing that to McGregor before. You are making half of a case so I don't consider it very strong.

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 08:49:29 pm »
You guys are implying that Edgar will wear McGregor down simply because that is what Edgar does a lot, even though nobody has ever come close do doing that to McGregor before. You are making half of a case so I don't consider it very strong.

Nobody is implying that it will definitely happen. Just certain people feel confident it would happen. Nothing more than opinion based on people's known strengths.

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2016, 11:14:26 am »

My only point is that Edgar has proven that he can go 5 rounds in a war.  McGregor has not.  Your thought that he will not have a problem is speculation based on how he's done in fights not going that far ... which is really what's half of a case (or less).
There's always Bulgaria.