Author Topic: McGregor  (Read 6828 times)

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: McGregor
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2016, 07:48:50 am »
You guys are implying that Edgar will wear McGregor down simply because that is what Edgar does a lot, even though nobody has ever come close do doing that to McGregor before. You are making half of a case so I don't consider it very strong.

My only point is that Edgar has proven that he can go 5 rounds in a war.  McGregor has not.  Your thought that he will not have a problem is speculation based on how he's done in fights not going that far ... which is really what's half of a case (or less).

I think it is possible that that will happen. Sounds like you are saying the same thing. I just think there is <50% chance. Maybe you think it is a little more than 50%.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2016, 04:33:57 pm »
You guys are implying that Edgar will wear McGregor down simply because that is what Edgar does a lot, even though nobody has ever come close do doing that to McGregor before. You are making half of a case so I don't consider it very strong.

My only point is that Edgar has proven that he can go 5 rounds in a war.  McGregor has not.  Your thought that he will not have a problem is speculation based on how he's done in fights not going that far ... which is really what's half of a case (or less).

I think it is possible that that will happen. Sounds like you are saying the same thing. I just think there is <50% chance. Maybe you think it is a little more than 50%.

Considering a weight cut that is greater than about every featherweight, and the fact that Edgar, who excels in a grinding 5 round fight, and Mcgregor who hasn't proven that he can yet.

It's like a knockout puncher in boxing fighting anybody. You assume he is likely to KO his oponent until the oponent shows he can take a punch really well.
When all else fails, do the opposite...

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2016, 06:09:20 pm »

Considering a weight cut that is greater than about every featherweight, and the fact that Edgar, who excels in a grinding 5 round fight, and Mcgregor who hasn't proven that he can yet.

It's like a knockout puncher in boxing fighting anybody. You assume he is likely to KO his oponent until the oponent shows he can take a punch really well.

I look at other aspects of the other boxer before making that assumption.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2016, 06:12:16 pm »
Lets put it this way. I'd be willing to bet money (not here though) or a sig bet that, if McGregor fights Edgar, he either wins round 5 or finishes Edgar off before he can ever get that far.

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2016, 10:52:09 am »
Well RV, there you have it. A fresh McGregor, full camp, no cut, gassed in the 2nd round. He admitted it.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2016, 11:34:22 am »
Well RV, there you have it. A fresh McGregor, full camp, no cut, gassed in the 2nd round. He admitted it.

You are correct! He was hurting at the end of the 1st. He shot in the 2nd to end the beating he was taking. He'd rather go out to a submission. He has no business at 170. He'll have his hands full at 155.
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2016, 03:40:28 pm »
My bet still stands. He either wins the 5th round against Edgar or finishes Edgar before it gets that far.

I don't know if he gassed. He was definitely hurt. He set a furious pace in the 1st round like he always does.

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2016, 05:50:32 pm »
He was significantly slower at the start of the 2nd round. That's when he started getting tagged. He said that he didn't use his energy efficiently and was slowing down. I wouldn say he was gassed. But he was starting to.

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2016, 04:09:12 pm »
How many people are gonna throw out the "well, he went up TWO weight classes argument?"  For god sake ... NO, he didn't.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2016, 07:12:52 am »
They both weighed in under 170, which suggests a hydrated weight from. 155. Maybe 5 extra pounds at best.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2016, 07:55:55 am »
He may have punched himself out but a lot (if not all) of that is based upon the pace that he set in Round 1. His comments/excuses were spot on. Trying to KO Diaz in Round 1 is a mistake by just about anybody. I would bet on McGregor if he fights Diaz again at 155. Yes, weighing in at 170 was a Diaz advantage since he is a bigger guy.

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2016, 08:09:59 am »
He may have punched himself out but a lot (if not all) of that is based upon the pace that he set in Round 1. His comments/excuses were spot on. Trying to KO Diaz in Round 1 is a mistake by just about anybody. I would bet on McGregor if he fights Diaz again at 155. Yes, weighing in at 170 was a Diaz advantage since he is a bigger guy.

RV they both weighed in about about 1 to 1.5 pounds under 170 which tell me they did not need to cut the day of weigh ins. On fight night, a lightweight normally weighs 10 to 15 pounds more which tells m that this was a lightweight battle. Diaz is taller, sure, but McGregor is a true lightweight who has cut down to featherweight. Diaz h been beaten by lightweights. McGregor was not able to beat him on a full camp. You really think McGregor beats Nate with a full camp?

I have seen lightweights throw more volume of offense without blowing their load in the first round. This tells me that a sucked out McGregor would fare worse on the energy side against the pace o dealing with Frankie.

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2016, 09:04:21 am »
Nate is NOT a 'bigger guy.'  Nate weighed in at 169 - SOFT.  Conor weighed in at 168 - SOLID.  He's also fought many times at lightweight but does a major cut to get to featherweight.  Look at Conor's weigh-ins when he cuts to 145, he looks like he escaped from Auschwitz.  He's a 155er who fought another 155er in Nate.  People who believe otherwise are delusional and buying into the built in excuse created by calling this a welterweight bout.  It was a lightweight bout where neither guy cut weight.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2016, 09:57:30 am »
Conor looked larger/thicker to me when in the Octagon compared to Nate. I would not be shocked if Conor was the larger man during their fight.

I really want the UFC to replicate HBO boxing as listing the "in ring weight" of the combatants.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2016, 11:26:26 am »
Conor will have his hands full with a cardio machine like Edgar. Frankie also has good boxing skills that could be applied to the chin up "Karate" style Conor favors.
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb