Author Topic: McGregor  (Read 7542 times)

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: McGregor
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2016, 12:59:36 pm »
He may have punched himself out but a lot (if not all) of that is based upon the pace that he set in Round 1. His comments/excuses were spot on. Trying to KO Diaz in Round 1 is a mistake by just about anybody. I would bet on McGregor if he fights Diaz again at 155. Yes, weighing in at 170 was a Diaz advantage since he is a bigger guy.

RV they both weighed in about about 1 to 1.5 pounds under 170 which tell me they did not need to cut the day of weigh ins. On fight night, a lightweight normally weighs 10 to 15 pounds more which tells m that this was a lightweight battle. Diaz is taller, sure, but McGregor is a true lightweight who has cut down to featherweight. Diaz h been beaten by lightweights. McGregor was not able to beat him on a full camp. You really think McGregor beats Nate with a full camp?

I have seen lightweights throw more volume of offense without blowing their load in the first round. This tells me that a sucked out McGregor would fare worse on the energy side against the pace o dealing with Frankie.

Diaz looked naturally bigger to me than McGregor. If that is the case, fighting at a lower weight is in McGregor's favor.

His volume was moderate but a lot of them were power shots. The power that he put in with them combined with the volume resulted in a very fast pace. He'll pace himself more next time. If they fight again at 155 we can have a sig bet.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2016, 02:00:16 pm »
Nate is NOT a 'bigger guy.'  Nate weighed in at 169 - SOFT.  Conor weighed in at 168 - SOLID.  He's also fought many times at lightweight but does a major cut to get to featherweight.  Look at Conor's weigh-ins when he cuts to 145, he looks like he escaped from Auschwitz.  He's a 155er who fought another 155er in Nate.  People who believe otherwise are delusional and buying into the built in excuse created by calling this a welterweight bout.  It was a lightweight bout where neither guy cut weight.

I don't know how much mileage Nate puts in training for a tri but I do know that college runners put in 100 miles a week or so, high school 75. If he's doing anything around those numbers and ends up weighing 170, he's a big guy. I was gobsmacked when Nate did the Fightin Irish tattoo thing, how big he appeared, in particular his hands, he is a naturally bigger person who through a fastidious diet and training regime has a "natural" walking around weight of 170. Absent all that running, swimming and biking and dieting he may be 190 200 pound guy. Conor in a likewise untrained state is 170, or less; as a mesomorph load bearing exercises would tend to muscle him up. Nate's maintenance of a high state of physical preparedness, at near steady state levels, understates his walking around weight. Conor's tendency to build muscle overstates his walking around weight. Enough of the gymnastics, start boxing. work on the ground game.
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2016, 04:34:27 pm »
Nate is NOT a 'bigger guy.'  Nate weighed in at 169 - SOFT.  Conor weighed in at 168 - SOLID.  He's also fought many times at lightweight but does a major cut to get to featherweight.  Look at Conor's weigh-ins when he cuts to 145, he looks like he escaped from Auschwitz.  He's a 155er who fought another 155er in Nate.  People who believe otherwise are delusional and buying into the built in excuse created by calling this a welterweight bout.  It was a lightweight bout where neither guy cut weight.

I don't know how much mileage Nate puts in training for a tri but I do know that college runners put in 100 miles a week or so, high school 75. If he's doing anything around those numbers and ends up weighing 170, he's a big guy. I was gobsmacked when Nate did the Fightin Irish tattoo thing, how big he appeared, in particular his hands, he is a naturally bigger person who through a fastidious diet and training regime has a "natural" walking around weight of 170. Absent all that running, swimming and biking and dieting he may be 190 200 pound guy. Conor in a likewise untrained state is 170, or less; as a mesomorph load bearing exercises would tend to muscle him up. Nate's maintenance of a high state of physical preparedness, at near steady state levels, understates his walking around weight. Conor's tendency to build muscle overstates his walking around weight. Enough of the gymnastics, start boxing. work on the ground game.

Nate has since stated that he was not, in fact, training for a triathlon but was instead vacationing in Cabo with Gilbert Melendez but wanted the fight so told Dana he was in shape due to tri training.  Conor was also not in an untrained state at 170.  He had a full fight camp and therefore would've been tapering down to get to 155 through that camp.  From what I understand, when he fights at 145, he cuts about 30lbs on fight week, meaning his walkaround weight is easily 170+ if he's 170-175 coming in to fight week following a full camp.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2016, 08:27:22 am »
More importantly, Diaz is a lightweight fighter ranked in the top 6. Conor fought said lightweight fighter at a catchweight at 170. Diaz said he could make 165 without a problem but rather not spend his week dieting when he can spend it training. It was Conor who chose 170 to fight a ranked lightweight.
When all else fails, do the opposite...

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2016, 01:00:14 pm »
I'm not sure if it's possible to cut 30 lbs. in 1 week and not be at or near death. From what I read, 20 lbs. is the max. 3,500 calories is 1 pound of fat so this would have to be almost all water. Don't want to argue too much more. We can make a bet if they fight again at 155. Upsets happen all the time in MMA and I think this was one of them.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2016, 07:15:33 pm »
http://www.mmamania.com/2015/7/6/8901169/ufc-189-chael-sonnen-reveals-dramatic-28-pound-weight-cut-looming-for-conor-mcgregor-mma

"He's a very big guy. I was impressed with how big he is. I was like 'Conor, what do you weigh?' He said 'I'm around 172 pounds.' He's got to be 145 pounds in eight days. I don't know how he's going to do it. He's very lean. He has a very busy schedule. He's training at Las Vegas. He was just in L.A. with Conan O'Brien last night. He's in New York for Reebok a day before that. He was in Connecticut the day before that. One, how does he do the weight? And two, how does he find the time? I don't know."

When all else fails, do the opposite...

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 08:09:50 am »

27 pounds in 8 days? That's not 30 pounds in 7 days but somewhat close and still pretty ridiculous. Shouldn't be allowed. Fighters should weigh in just a few hours before they fight. Maybe only an hour or two like in high school wrestling.

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2016, 12:45:38 pm »
Very high risk for kidney failure.