Author Topic: 8th graders on high school teams  (Read 11885 times)

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
8th graders on high school teams
« on: December 29, 2015, 09:31:40 AM »
How many states allow 8th graders to compete with high schoolers (dual meets or tournaments)?

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: 8th graders on high school teams
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 09:37:57 AM »
Florida does, but only for schools that also have 7th and 8th graders on the same campus as the high school kids.  This normally limits the practice to small private schools.

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 10:24:31 AM »
Thanks!

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 11:55:48 AM »
New York does ... or at least it did 10 years ago when my son was still in school.  May have also had the requirement about 7th & 8th on the same campus as 9-12, but I don't know.  His school did have the middle school on the same campus (and it was a public school).

On a side note, this was part of the reason why I've always thought the lowest weights were ridiculous ... they were routinely filled by middle schoolers ... or forfeited.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 05:05:18 PM »
Kentucky allows 7th and up, I think North Dakota does too because wasn't Storley a 6 timer?
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 08:26:29 PM »
Kirk Wallman was the first 6 timer and was from South Dakota.

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 01:51:14 PM »
Minnesota allows 7th-12th, Mark Hall won his first state title there when he repeated 8th grade (after losing in the Kentucky state finals)
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 09:42:35 AM »
New York does ... or at least it did 10 years ago when my son was still in school.  May have also had the requirement about 7th & 8th on the same campus as 9-12, but I don't know.  His school did have the middle school on the same campus (and it was a public school).

On a side note, this was part of the reason why I've always thought the lowest weights were ridiculous ... they were routinely filled by middle schoolers ... or forfeited.
Why bother having weight classes so low they are filled with 8th graders mostly? It degrades state titles won by kids in legitimate weights.

Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 06:15:46 PM »

Why bother having weight classes so low they are filled with 8th graders mostly? It degrades state titles won by kids in legitimate weights.

I agree. I also think it's inappropriate for 7th & 8th graders to be sharing locker rooms, showers, and team buses with 12th graders. Their level of social development, etc, is too different, and it exposes 12 year old kids to topics and activities of.18/19 year old young adults.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 08:41:42 PM »
Not permitted in NJ for any school.  There are only a handful of schools that can't fill the mini-me weight class.

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 08:59:14 PM »
New York also has, if I recall correctly, a 99-pound weight class, or a mini-mini-me weight class.

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 09:32:02 AM »
New York also has, if I recall correctly, a 99-pound weight class, or a mini-mini-me weight class.

Yeah, Dake picked up 5 state titles in "High School".
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 11:29:36 AM »
No he didn't.
Christians warned about the Antichrist for years. And when he came, they voted for him.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 03:06:01 PM »

I believe you have him confused with Nicholson.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline SingletSlinger

• World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 03:12:26 PM »

I believe you have him confused with Nicholson.

You mean Nickerson.....
Bunch of snowflakes run this board, sad how the mods cater to people that support one political party.