Author Topic: kyle snyder is back  (Read 27866 times)

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
Re: kyle snyder is back
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 05:54:15 PM »
I bet he holds his own.  He could be a finalist if he is on the opposite side of Gwiz.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 06:18:50 PM »
you mean on Adam Coon's side potentially?
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 06:36:54 PM »
I think he can beat Coon.  I think he can beat Gwiz too for that matter.  He weighs around 220 I think and I see no reason why he can't be a factor.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2016, 07:24:40 PM »
I don't think he beats Hall! Gwiziadowski is the best heavyweight we have seen in 10 plus years

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2016, 07:47:13 PM »
Snyder won't place, about the dumbest decision that a kid could make.  Waste of a year.
We are the storm.

Offline regulator130

• State Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2016, 08:32:14 AM »
Snyder won't place, about the dumbest decision that a kid could make.  Waste of a year.

This looks like a strong trolling effort, but I'll bite.

He wrestles with Tervel in the room all the time.  I'm sure they wouldn't make this move if they didn't think he could win it.  Gwiz is incredible. But not the wrestler Gadisov is,  I would pick Gadisov in a match up there.  I would still say Gwiz is the favorite but Snyder is a world champ at the hardest weight class in the world. He can win heavyweight at Ncaas.  I don't think Coons girth will factor it when Snyder is finishing a low ankle shot. 

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2016, 10:04:20 AM »
Gwiaz may be the Most dominant heavyweight we have seen in more than a decade and certainly in the last 10 years.  You may not remember how Snyder's last folkstyle match ended, but I do.  It ended up with him counting the lights.  That was against a wrestler who was certainly not the most dominant athlete at his weight.  Gwiaz is far and away the best at the weight. 

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2016, 10:34:25 AM »
Not trolling at all, Snyder isn't close to being an elite 285.  Waste of a redshirt.
We are the storm.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2016, 10:42:55 AM »
If this means he can't take another Oly shirt it would for sure be a waste

Offline regulator130

• State Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2016, 11:31:27 AM »
I don't think it's the right move for Snyder. Bc to win the Olympics all his focus needs to be on freestyle wrestling. Not folkstyle and not reentering school( which no one is mentioning). But to to think someone who beat Gadisov cant defeat our USA heavyweights is crazy. Gatsalov lost to Gadisov and bumped up as a very small heavyweight and won worlds!

The Snyder at 197 is vastly different than the Snyder we saw wrestle at 211. His foot work was vastly different. His foot work is what sets up all his offense and makes his defense incredible. Not sure if it's the weight loss that causes that but it is my theory. I think we will see the Snyder that won the worlds and he is right there with Gwizz. I think his problem will be with larger heavyweights that have top game. Gwizz isn't won of those. Snyder has been planning on switching to hwt  no matter when he came back. 197 is out forever. This isn't something not well thought out. Besides Gwizz being there why is it a difference from wrestling this year from next year? Since you guys seem to think he will lose to more than just Gwizz. You are basically saying he will never be a NCAA champion. To which I strongly disagree.

Offline regulator130

• State Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2016, 11:41:01 AM »
Not trolling at all, Snyder isn't close to being an elite 285.  Waste of a redshirt.

The reason I said it is trolling is before I posted there was 20 or so post on this and 3 of them were you expressing the exact same opinion. You either really want people to get your view point or it's trolling.

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2016, 11:49:55 AM »
the answer is he is done ... a broken shell of a man

Thanks Bryce.  I had my doubts about Stieber, but now that I know you've made this prediction I can rest easy knowing he'll be fine

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2016, 12:07:39 PM »
I am just surprised Flo doesn't have him top 6 like they did with Alton all the way til Big 10s last year. That is usually the kiss of death

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2016, 01:33:28 PM »
Snyder will certainly be competitive at HWT, but I can't see him being the favorite against Gwiz. For that matter Snyder won't be outmuscling many folks at HWT, He might be in for a big surprise.
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline goStanford18

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2016, 01:54:01 PM »
I find some of these posts quite amusing.

Here are some of my thoughts--some are facts; some are opinion:

1. Snyder recently won a World Title at 97kg (213lbs) in Freestyle.
2. Snyder was competing at 220lbs by his Sophomore year in high school (don't remember which weight he was at his freshman year).
3. Snyder easily walks north of 220 lbs and is 5'11.
4. Snyder rolls around with the United States' best heavyweight on a daily basis--Tervel has been makin the World Team for quite awhile now, and he has placed a few times at the Worlds.
5. Snyder has improved by an incredible amount since last year's NCAA Finals. We really need to get this straight: last year Kyle had losses to Burak, McIntosh, and Gadson (2x). 3 of his losses were close decisions. In the other, he got stuck onto his back. A few months later in the U.S.Open/World Team Trials, he teched guys like Dustin Kilgore and went 3-0 against 2012 Olympic Champ Jake Varner. I honestly don't think Snyder's 4 losses last year are valid arguments into justifying he will not do well at Heavyweight.
6. The "shouldn't compete at NCAA's because he is preparing for the Olympics" argument is really beating a dead horse. This is always argued and usually doesn't lead anywhere. My only fear is the possibility of injury (but these are unpredictable); I suppose the chances of injury increase since he'll be rolling around with bigger dudes.
7. Gwiazdowski advertises himself as 6'0 and 265lbs (according to his Twitter).
8. Gwiazdowski is one of the best heavyweights in recent memory and has a shot in cementing himself as one of the all-time greats by winning 3 titles this year.
9. Snyder is only advertised for a few matches. If you analyze it just the tiniest bit, Snyder is really just going to wrestle at the Big 10s and NCAAs.
10. If Tavanello's upside is a low placement on the podium; I'm sure that is indicative that Tom Ryan, Snyder, and the tOSU team believe Snyder is a sure-fire title competitor.
11. Here's an interesting write-up by Mark Palmer on Heavyweights: http://www.examiner.com/list/what-ncaa-heavyweight-champs-since-2000-actually-weigh

If what Palmer writes is true, Snyder's size shouldn't be a problem. It's impossible to predict how Snyder will do at Heavyweight, but if I had to guess.....he's finishing in the top 4. Gwiazdowski is the man to beat. If he meets with Snyder, I'm expecting it to be a very, very close match.