Author Topic: National Duals  (Read 7655 times)

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
Re: National Duals
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 01:42:25 PM »
Which continues the same old toxic debate.  At least under the other format they attempted to make it a dual meet championship.

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 02:40:07 PM »
Except the B1G is the wrestling equivalent of the SEC?

I get the B1G is great and respect their commitment to wrestling, but I think they get too many bids to NCAAs. When 10 guys at a weight qualify from one conference at HWT...that's pretty ridiculous. (They were pretty much the 10 best though, lol).

The B1G is far more dominant in wrestling than the SEC is in football.  The too many bids thing is a garbage argument.  If you want the best 330 guys at NCAAs then the numbers suggest the B1G gets LESS bids than they should (likely due to the auto-qualifier rule).  If you don't want the best 330 at NCAAs then make whatever argument you want, you've started from a flawed premise.

I get that. What I don't get is why 10 guys from a conference qualify for a national tourney where only 8 guys place.I'd rather fill in the brackets with D2 and D3 studs than 9th place guys from the B1G. Granted D2/D3 guys aren't invited anymore...but maybe they should be.

Inviting 9th place guys from a conference tourney to the "postseason" is akin to a 2-14 team making the NFL playoffs.

What do you want?  An 8 man bracket?

Cap of invitees at 8 per conference per weight. Realistically the only conference that has a chance of qualifying that many is the Big 10 anyway.

Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 02:46:16 PM »
Except the B1G is the wrestling equivalent of the SEC?

I get the B1G is great and respect their commitment to wrestling, but I think they get too many bids to NCAAs. When 10 guys at a weight qualify from one conference at HWT...that's pretty ridiculous. (They were pretty much the 10 best though, lol).

The B1G is far more dominant in wrestling than the SEC is in football.  The too many bids thing is a garbage argument.  If you want the best 330 guys at NCAAs then the numbers suggest the B1G gets LESS bids than they should (likely due to the auto-qualifier rule). If you don't want the best 330 at NCAAs then make whatever argument you want, you've started from a flawed premise.

I get that. What I don't get is why 10 guys from a conference qualify for a national tourney where only 8 guys place.I'd rather fill in the brackets with D2 and D3 studs than 9th place guys from the B1G. Granted D2/D3 guys aren't invited anymore...but maybe they should be.

Inviting 9th place guys from a conference tourney to the "postseason" is akin to a 2-14 team making the NFL playoffs.

What do you want?  An 8 man bracket?

Cap of invitees at 8 per conference per weight. Realistically the only conference that has a chance of qualifying that many is the Big 10 anyway.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 08:14:48 PM »
So it isn't really a dual meet championship except in name only?

Pretty much.  I imagine they will crown the winner of the "finals" as champion, but it will mean even less than the old tournament structure did.

So what are we looking at?  B1G #1 vs Non-B1G #2 and B1G #2 vs non-B1G #1, winners collide in a final at Penn State ?

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 08:26:12 PM »
I'm surprised JB has not chimed in to clarify the format.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 08:27:22 PM »
I will summon him.

pinfall. Pinfall. PINFALL!!!
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 09:07:27 PM »
Just don't start a National Duals vs not having one debate.  That thread would last longer than the last word.

Offline Brew

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 09:22:17 PM »
I will summon him.

pinfall. Pinfall. PINFALL!!!

Ha!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2016, 07:08:49 AM »
So it isn't really a dual meet championship except in name only?

Pretty much.  I imagine they will crown the winner of the "finals" as champion, but it will mean even less than the old tournament structure did.

So what are we looking at?  B1G #1 vs Non-B1G #2 and B1G #2 vs non-B1G #1, winners collide in a final at Penn State ?

No advancement.  At all.  B1G #1 vs Non-B1G #1 is the finals.  The finals, regardless of what schedules say will be hosted by the B1G #1 school.

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 09:40:29 AM »
And if Cael doesn't win this year he won't be back next year.
Tax the churches.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 07:12:16 PM »

No advancement.  At all.  B1G #1 vs Non-B1G #1 is the finals.  The finals, regardless of what schedules say will be hosted by the B1G #1 school.

Thanks, simple clarification.

Well I guess Johnny S expects to make a move in the rankings because he's got State College PA inked in on the OkSU schedule, while he may well end up at Rutgers.