Author Topic: Iowa State "National Champs"  (Read 4912 times)

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Iowa State "National Champs"
« on: January 13, 2016, 12:18:38 PM »
Uh huh. What's the point of a dual "National Champion" when no teams worth a damn show up?

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2016/January/09/Iowa-State-beats-Virginia-Tech-to-win-Virginia-Duals
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Iowa State "National Champs"
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 12:25:18 PM »
Don't get that debate started again!

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 12:30:52 PM »
National College Division of the Virginia Duals does not equal National Dual Champions.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 01:51:26 PM »
yeah this is sort of ridiculous Tobus.  there actually IS a thread about National Duals going on right now
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 02:17:04 PM »
yeah this is sort of ridiculous Tobus.  there actually IS a thread about National Duals going on right now

Ah shaddup. I'm dissing your rivals. Join me.
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 02:17:39 PM »
I wish they were still our rivals.  They're not even our paste eating little brothers anymore.
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 02:28:15 PM »
National College Division of the Virginia Duals does not equal National Dual Champions.

Kinda reminds me of when my son entered the Novice National Championships in 6th grade in OKC. There were about 8 in his weight. When he won it he got a shirt that proclaimed him Novice National Champion.

Even he knew it was a joke. But his grandmother was totally awed... or pretended to be anyway.  ;D
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 02:38:41 PM »

Kinda reminds me of when my son entered the Novice National Championships in 6th grade in OKC. There were about 8 in his weight. When he won it he got a shirt that proclaimed him Novice National Champion.

Even he knew it was a joke. But his grandmother was totally awed... or pretended to be anyway.  ;D

Hehehe....yeah, love that type stuff. I was the "Green Country Champion" at 97 pounds in 1976, btw. :D

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 02:42:09 PM »

Teamusa.org begs to differ!

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 04:54:06 PM »
I wrote that story and no where in it does it proclaim anyone as "National Champs"

It's clearly outlined as the National College Division of the Virginia Duals. There is also an "American" College Division with 8 schools (D2, D3, NCWA).
On the high school side, there are three divisions, National, American and Black & Blue.

Unless they titled something differently, which I didn't see, I don't think anyone is touting that as a "national championship"
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 05:00:43 PM »
Just Toby trying to get a rise out of someone, I guess.  ::)
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 06:39:10 PM »
Just Toby trying to get a rise out of someone, I guess.  ::)

Hey now, you and Jason pay attention:

Iowa State beats Virginia Tech to win National College Division title at 36th annual Virginia Duals

Boys, that doesn't EXACTLY say "National Champion"...but I think it can certainly be confused as such.

I like ISU, btw (old Big 8 team!).

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 08:04:45 PM »
If Iowa State had kept Gable, how would that have transformed the Big 8?

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 10:47:57 PM »
Been attending that tournament for 21 years, been covering in some capacity for 17 of them. Never once have I written "National Champions" in a story from the event because that event is the Virginia Duals.

I think it's pretty clearly implied that it's the "National College Division" especially when you read the entire story and understand there is another college division.

Maybe I'm a tad sensitive about it, since it's my wrestling club that hosts the event, but there's no confusion as such, at least if you're not trolling and attentive to the national wrestling scene. You say you aren't trolling and you are attentive to the scene, so I'm super confused how that can be construed as "national champs"

Even when I write National Duals championship, I write "National Duals Championship" not "NCAA Championship" or "National Championship"
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 08:26:04 AM »
If Iowa State had kept Gable, how would that have transformed the Big 8?

ISU would've dominated D1 wrestling for 20 years. Would've made for some great OSU/ISU/OU matchups in the 80s.