Author Topic: It starts with the wrestlers  (Read 6267 times)

Offline Mrfess

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
It starts with the wrestlers
« on: January 19, 2016, 09:28:51 AM »
How do we grow the sport of wrestling? For me, it starts with the wrestlers
http://www.missouriwrestling.com/it-starts-with-the-wrestlers/

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: It starts with the wrestlers
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 11:00:16 AM »
I'm continually amazed at how little support wrestling programs receive from ex wrestlers.  Very few attend matches or express any interest in following the sport.  Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer or almost every other sport, ex players are rabid fans.

Why should anyone care about wrestling when past participants don't?
We are the storm.

Offline Gantry

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 11:04:40 AM »
I hesitate to make this post because the argument about national duals has been beat to death, but part of the problem is that nobody cares about dual/team results.  Makes it harder for an ex-wrestler to casually root for a team.  Duals are more fan friendly and without more impact being given to them casual fans aren't going to come. 

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 11:06:58 AM »
I have no clue what you just said?
We are the storm.

Offline Gantry

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 11:08:59 AM »
Then we are at an impasse...

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 11:19:13 AM »
So much apathy in this sport.  I'll never understand why?
We are the storm.

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 06:14:30 PM »
I'm continually amazed at how little support wrestling programs receive from ex wrestlers.  Very few attend matches or express any interest in following the sport.  Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer or almost every other sport, ex players are rabid fans.

Count yourself lucky.  I'm banished to wrestling Hell. The local university doesn't even have intramural wrestling. If I want to watch live college wrestling I have to drive 300 miles to Phoenix.

Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline LILHOWDOG

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 08:17:51 PM »

Count yourself lucky.  I'm banished to wrestling Hell. The local university doesn't even have intramural wrestling. If I want to watch live college wrestling I have to drive 300 miles to Phoenix.

No high schools?

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 08:21:08 PM »
I try to go see local high school matches, we don't have a close college program.  We have Northern Colorado which is about 60 miles away.  Weather is the deciding factor for making the drive.

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 07:57:17 AM »
Well Lehigh still draws 1,500 - 2,000 fans for every dual and you can count the number of ex-wrestlers in attendance on one hand. 
We are the storm.

Offline regulator130

• State Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 08:41:01 AM »
Well Lehigh still draws 1,500 - 2,000 fans for every dual and you can count the number of ex-wrestlers in attendance on one hand.

I agree.  Why do you think ex wrestlers don't attend? Is wrestling and "being a wrestler" so encompassing that when you are done, you are done?  I am a huge fan of wrestling. A lot of people go to NCAAs, but it appears a lot of ex wrestlers that go to Ncaas do so to drink and hangout with friends. The wrestling isn't too important to them. The first couple years going back I drank with everybody and had a good time.  Well after not focusing on the wrestling and missing a lot of the morning sessions I quickly realized I hated mixing the two. Now when I go to wrestling I lay off the festivities and focus on the wrestling. 

So I guess why is it ex wrestlers aren't fans and what can we do to fix that? I think that's the battle we need to address before we try and bring in the casual fan.

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 11:39:02 AM »

No high schools?

Yes the two big local High Schools have wrestling. Not very high quality though..the good wrestling schools in New Mexico (relatively speaking) are up in Albuquerque. Rio Rancho is good even by California or Pennsylvania standards.

Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 11:49:34 AM »
Oh yeah...what makes it worse is  the Cejudo boys lived in Las Cruces BEFORE they started wrestling, hehe.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 12:28:23 PM »
I think some of it is that people move away from their alma mater and then maybe are unwilling to adopt a new program.  Or maybe there were part of a different division and the only choice they have at their locale is something different.  If you were a D1 guy, do you want to go watch the NAIA?  is there an inherent bias there?  I have a program across the river and I do not make it to any duals, but I occasionally drive 45 minutes to Iowa City to watch and or cover the Hawkeyes.  There is no reason I can't go watch an Augsburg dual and support the program with my money, I just don't.  I honestly do not have an excuse.  I love wrestling and often watch matches on the computer or when aired on television I have no rooting interest in.  Heck I watched a High School tourney last night for 45 minutes on MC22.  No idea about any of the teams or kids, but I watched.  And yet I don't drive 15 minutes to watch a program.  It's odd.
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 12:33:39 PM »
45 minutes from Hawkeye action? I'd be neglecting the lower divisions as well.

Lucky ass. I did live in Stoolwater for several years though, used to go watch the Cowboys wrestle alot. One time got to see Gable fling a chair across the floor, hehe. He wasn't the most popular fellow in Stillwater, believe me  :P