Author Topic: Oklahoma State vs. Missouri  (Read 2027 times)

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Oklahoma State vs. Missouri
« on: January 23, 2016, 08:00:31 PM »
I meant to write something up sooner, but today was a busy day.  As you may know, Missouri had won 37 in a row since their last trip to Stillwater 2 years ago ended in a loss.  The match started at 125.

125 - Klimara over McGhee 2-1 TB1 (3-0, OSU)
This match looks boring on paper and it largely was.  However, I think Klimara wrestled smart and executed a good game plan in never giving McGhee an opening on the counter attack.  It was obvious that Klimara was better on the mat and that ultimately proved to be the difference.  McGhee had a couple of decent attacks, but neither wrestler came overly close to a takedown.

133 - GWH over Synon 5-2 (6-0, OSU)
Synon got to his double underhooks early and got a takedown.  At that point things looked bleak for GWH, but he did a great job of chain wrestling and, though Synon managed to keep him down for quite a while (over 1:00 as I recall), when he did earn an escape Synon seemed to be losing steam.  The escape in the 2nd for GWH was far easier and he eventually got a takedown and ended the period on top.  At that point, the upset seemed likely.  Synon didn't look to have much left and he got ridden out in the 3rd.  Big win for GWH and really put the dual in the Cowboy's hands.

141 - Heil over Manley 3-1 (9-0, OSU)
Manley really doesn't do much, but he keeps good, low position and is tough to score on.  You can sometimes pick off better wrestlers when you do that.  Dean Heil is a better wrestler, but there was no picking him off Friday night.  Heil continues to be so solid in all 3 phases that he will be tough for anyone to beat.  He can win matches on his feet or on the mat.  He rode out the 2nd period, then got a reversal and was riding tough in the 3rd.  He earned the ire of John Smith, however, when he let Manley go late and then ran away for 15-20 seconds.  I couldn't make out the whole quote, but Coach Smith clearly said something to the extent of, "You're #1 in the nation!" and proceeded to chew on Heil as he left the mat.  Tough when you just beat another top 5 guy, but there is always something to be learned and this was one of those teachable moments.  Finish the match and dominate!

149 - Mayes over Collica 5-2 (9-3, OSU)
Solid win for Mayes.  I thought we might be seeing the Cowboys momentum continue when the 1st period ended 0-0 and Collica was the closest to scoring when he briefly caught an ankle and had Mayes falling backwards.  Mayes was too much, though.  He is so solid, so explosive that it is a tall order for anyone to shut him down for a full match.  He got another good win and looks to be a real contender here.

157 - Smith over Barnes 10-4 (12-3, OSU)
The first home dual for Smith was more of the same thing we've seen since he has come out of redshirt.  He looked good, got a number of takedowns and then, just couldn't close out the match and get the major.  It is hard to complain when your guy is winning by 6-7 points, but I'm sure Joe and the coaching staff will be looking for ways to finish with bonus in those situations.

165 - Dieringer over Lewis 4-3 (15-3, OSU)
It is amazing how many points Alex scores given how risk averse he seems to be.  You can see it in a lot of his matches with highly ranked opponents and even some lesser guys who manage to get in positions that Dieringer doesn't like.  It has served him extremely well against pinning machines like Walsh and Ness and it, generally, keeps him out of trouble against everyone else (including Bo Jordan in last year's NCAAs).  That said, it can be frustrating to watch and I almost wish he had needed an escape to win the match so that we could have really seen if he could have gotten away.  As it stood, he never gave Lewis an opening while getting ridden the entire 2nd and 3rd periods and absorbing 2 stall calls.  It was certainly not the way you'd expect one of the best pound for pound wrestlers in the country to get the job done, but he got his hand raised.  I would be shocked if he ever chooses down against Lewis again.  A ride like that is a fantastic weapon and makes Lewis dangerous against anyone as he has already shown.

174 - Butler over Crutchmer 3-1 SV1 (15-6, OSU)
Just when it looked like the Cowboys would walk away with the dual win, Butler got his revenge on Crutchmer with a nice takedown in sudden victory.  All the credit goes to Butler as he had the better looking attacks in regulation and it really looked like it meant something to him when he got the W.  That said, Crutchmer is just a head scratching wrestler.  How can someone who has shown the ability to score when he needs to on pretty much anyone go an entire match without really committing to an attack?  It isn't like he is great on the mat and looking for the tie-breakers.  It seems he will still have matches where he just can't pull the trigger.  This means he could win it all in March or be out early.  It has to be all in his head.  I hope he gets it figured out.

184 - Boyd over Miklus 7-2 (18-6, OSU)
"I think this was supposed to confirm that I have a different mindset," Boyd said. "I just going to take it and run with that. I saw Collica wrestle and realized that's the style that works for meā€”keep my feet moving. That's what I did today."

Keeping your feet moving makes you a dominant wrestler?  Thats all it took?  I'm skeptical.  Big win for Boyd and much credit to him for continuing to build on the lead when he could have sat on it.  Still, I have to wonder if Miklus was sick or something.  He had no answer, looked lethargic very early and, even when he went for a big move a couple of times, seemed to not have any snap to his movements.  I hope for the Cowboy's sake that this was Boyd's coming out party and he really is making the leap, but it seemed watching the match that the story was more what is wrong with Miklus than how good Boyd looked.

197 -  Cox over Marsden 7-3 (18-9, OSU)
I was not surprised that Marsden came out trying to go upper body with Cox and moving forward a lot.  This is what he does and it is kind of nice to see that he wasn't backing away from someone with Cox's resume.  That said, I was very surprised that it not only allowed him to keep it close, but that Cox wanted no part of it.  Cox scored by getting out of Marsden's ties and working leg attacks of his own, but didn't score nearly as much as I would have expected.  This may have simply been Cox being cautious.  After all, we have seen him be less than offensive in the past and the dual was over at this stage (Missouri could have tied the score at 18 with 2 falls, but even then would lose on first criteria # of matches won...something truly crazy would have had to go down).  Still, some credit goes to Marsden for both putting Cox in positions he clearly wasn't interested in wrestling from and not giving Cox points by forcing moves that weren't there.

285 - Marsden over Romero 16-0 in 1:25 (23-9, OSU)
I don't want to get too down on a guy who is starting for a D1 team and seemed to be giving full effort, but Marsden clearly smelled blood here and had no fear that Romero posed any threat.  I've not seen Austin go directly for a throw to the back to end it quick before.  It didn't earn him a fall, but Marsden's top game is solid and the tilts came quick and easy.  16 points in less than 90 seconds has got to be a new record for Austin.  That was a fun way to end a dual and reminded me of the Mocco days when you could typically start putting on your coat once 197 finished.

Overall the Cowboys looked sharp for the 3rd dual in a row and, by the rankings okstate.com used, won 5 matches over top-10 opposition.  Missouri looked like they may have trained a little too hard through this meet, but only in spots as they were very game at most weights.  I will say that this year's Cowboy team wins more matches on the mat than any I remember.  There are very few issues on bottom and the team as a whole does a good job in the top position.  This is a marked departure from some of the teams in the recent past and is reason for optimism going forward.

The official demonstrated once again that the inconsistent interpretation of the out of bounds rule will be pervasive and frustrating until it is changed.  In this case, the official called action almost every time, even when one guy had backed to the edge, made a last stand, and was shoved out of bounds.  The obvious question here is, who should be called in that situation?  The fact that we're still asking (and could debate either side) is just further proof that this rule is awful.  In the Klimara/McGhee match that exact scenario played out.  McGhee had already been hit, backed to the edge and then was pushed out by Klimara.  As I understand the rule, Klimara should have earned a stall.  I have seen officials punish those that back to the edge that way by calling it on them when they go out.  The action call here sure seemed like a cop out.

Offline regulator130

• State Champ
    • View Profile
Re: Oklahoma State vs. Missouri
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 02:53:45 PM »
Thanks for the write up! I think moving your feet more allows someone to loosen up and wrestle more "free".

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 05:59:50 PM »
Lewis rode Dieringer like a pony, very surprising.  The match was never in doubt but it did expose a weakness that others may be able to exploit.
We are the storm.

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 08:57:16 PM »
Lewis rode Dieringer like a pony, very surprising.  The match was never in doubt but it did expose a weakness that others may be able to exploit.

I saw it happen with Bo Jordan and Dieringer a little bit

If you had to pick any weakness in Dieringer's game it would be he struggles to get free from elite top guys, but his neutral defense is so good that is really a problem. I will say I think Dieringer was wrestling better last year then he is this year.
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline lkwdsteve

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 09:41:20 PM »
Lewis was able to put an excellent  ride on Bo Jordan.

I think he picked top against Bo. Did he take top against  Ringer also?

Offline Brew

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 10:15:21 PM »
Yes he did....rode him for 4 minutes
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?