Author Topic: Fleeing the mat --- When to make the call.  (Read 1976 times)

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior High
    • View Profile
Fleeing the mat --- When to make the call.
« on: January 31, 2016, 04:34:50 pm »
Greeting Veteran refs. As a relatively new coach to the scene, this is a call I have a very hard time with. In all honesty, I have NEVER made this call, but I'm pretty sure I must have been able to call it at least once.

My question is...what do you look for? Or what advice would you give on what to look for??!?!?

I watch matches where....bottom man stands up, top man is trying to get a firm hold of him ( hips to hips), and they race out of bounds. Sometimes it is the bottom man that jets out, sometimes, it's the top man that shoves them out of bounds.

I see action by the edge of the mat where the action could continue , but instead, a wrestler maneuvers in a way to cause a "fresh start."

These examples I am giving above...I would have a hard time calling it.

How blatant does it have to be?!/

How often do you make this call?!?!

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Fleeing the mat --- When to make the call.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 05:43:13 pm »
You just said that you see the top push out the bottom or the bottom V-line out.  Seems like you can identify it.

Call it as often as it occurs - it is the rule.
Several are on "ignore".   I won't argue with the ignorant and disrespectful..
 "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 07:25:03 am »
Good question. Sometimes the bottom guy just doesn't seem very smart and he doesn't make an effort to remain in bounds. In this case, I'll often give a stalling call for the top man, especially if he isn't trying to bring the bottom man down during that time. I've never gotten a complaint. If the bottom man is trying to stay in bounds and I'm 75% sure that the top man is pulling/pushing him out to avoid an escape I'll just give the technical violation. Easier said than done though; I know. I'm sure I've let some of those go because intent can be difficult to discern.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 08:25:17 am »
Thanks for the replies.

When I think about it....I've probably only seen it called once by a referee.

Do you call it when the coach yells, "Fresh Start" at the edge and the offensive/defensive wrestler immediately makes a move to get the call for out of bounds?!?!?

I think my problem is....my confidence to NOT call it consistently. If you call it there, then you have to call it every single time. I know in the end, if I do make the call and call it consistently, the action will most likely take place in the center of the mat because wrestlers will learn real quick. Just sounds easier said than done.

I've been trying to find some videos on Fleeing the Mat or videos speaking about fleeing on the mat on YouTube.....Thanks again for all the help. This site has tremendously helped me this season.

I hope to go to a Wrestling Official clinic one of these days.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 09:06:56 am »
Do you call it when the coach yells, "Fresh Start" at the edge and the offensive/defensive wrestler immediately makes a move to get the call for out of bounds?!?!?

Depends what the move is.  If it is a straight drive out - fleeing.

If it is a move like a spiral ride or a crab ride roll - no call.  It must be discernible visually.  What the coach says is not punishable.
Several are on "ignore".   I won't argue with the ignorant and disrespectful..
 "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 10:30:30 pm »
I think my problem is....my confidence to NOT call it consistently. If you call it there, then you have to call it every single time. I know in the end, if I do make the call and call it consistently, the action will most likely take place in the center of the mat because wrestlers will learn real quick. Just sounds easier said than done.

Simple way to give yourself confidence:  tell the athletes what you want.  When possible, calls shouldn't be a surprise.  Before a dual meet, you can make the point about the boundary explicitly.  During matches, if you're telling the athletes to "work center" or "keep it in", you may not have the problem as often. When you do... well, they were warned.

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 10:42:49 pm »
What level are you officiating Ray?

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 11:07:35 pm »
Presently, I'm not. Folkstyle, I have from high school down.  Freestyle and Greco, University and down.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 08:55:47 am »

Simple way to give yourself confidence:  tell the athletes what you want.  When possible, calls shouldn't be a surprise.  Before a dual meet, you can make the point about the boundary explicitly.  During matches, if you're telling the athletes to "work center" or "keep it in", you may not have the problem as often. When you do... well, they were warned.

Good point. A really experienced and state-tournament level official once told me that if he thinks one of the wrestlers is getting close to fleeing the mat he'll point toward the center of the mat and yell "in" as he approaches the edge. That way if he has to call fleeing the mat the coach and spectators all saw that the official warned the wrestler and the wrestler chose to ignore him anyway. I've tried it a few times and it usually works. However, if the wrestler goes off the edge anyway then there will be more pressure on you to make the call so you better be ready to do it if you are going to point this out to everybody in the gym.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 09:35:01 am »
Great advice, Red Viking! I like that. That's great preventive officiating right there.