Author Topic: Interesting story--- thoughts/comments?  (Read 1142 times)

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting story--- thoughts/comments?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 07:53:36 pm »
I think the ref made good calls during the match. The slam seemed obvious to me and the 2nd call (hands to the face) was also a fair call even though I've given a verbal warning for something like that in the past.

I"m pretty sure that was a phantom eye poke. The red AD should reprimand the head coach. Very unethical. I know he thought it was "payback" and maybe the green wrestler could have continued to after the slam but still no excuse.

Obviously, the coaches got out of control after that recovery time was taken after the phantom eye poke and nobody was given an unsportsmanlike conduct when there were at least 2 of them on the red coaches. Maybe the green coach too but I can't tell where the coaches box is or what they were actually saying. The ref didn't really see what was going on and when so many people spin out of control that fast it is very tough to make the appropriate call(s) against the right people. However, he would have given himself a better chance of doing that if he would have just backed up and watched what was happening. Officials should never try to break up fights. Just stand back and take note of who is doing what.

A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 08:35:59 am »
Bad display by both coaches.  I'm amazed that that ref didn't hit one or both of them with at least an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and deduct some team points.  Would have made breaking the tie easier.  The state rules interpreter was also present.

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 08:47:40 pm »
I agree with what everyone has said. USC should have been given.

Here's a follow-up to that story...

CVC coach is suspended!

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/39510-cumberland-valley-coach-heckard-will-not-coach-piaa-team-championships

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 01:31:45 pm »
That could have gotten really ugly in a hurry.  Coaches need to keep their cool.  I like your point that in situations like that, it may be better for at least one of the officials to step back and just watch and take note.