Author Topic: The end of an Era  (Read 5399 times)

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
The end of an Era
« on: February 09, 2016, 06:42:13 AM »
the NWCA sent out a national poll asking high school coaches if they would support a transition from singlets to fight shorts. Apparently 75% of coaches gave positive feedback on the potential change. So it's possible they will ratify the uniform change at the NFHS meeting in April, they're already going to vote on it.

So I know this has been discussed to death, but what's everyones thoughts about it considering it is potentially right around the corner and no longer a pipe dream?
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
Re: The end of an Era
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 11:37:14 AM »
Years back there was attempt at under armour type shirts.  If singlets are eliminated, I think it will be met with a big ho hum.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 12:11:50 PM »
I think singlets are customary for us, and there's no reason to get hung up on custom.  If this drops a barrier, it's fine with me.

I'm not clear on why we'd want to eliminate singlets, rather than providing the option of shorts, however.  That level of uniformity doesn't seem necessary, particularly at first.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 12:52:52 PM »
I think singlets are customary for us, and there's no reason to get hung up on custom.  If this drops a barrier, it's fine with me.

I'm not clear on why we'd want to eliminate singlets, rather than providing the option of shorts, however.  That level of uniformity doesn't seem necessary, particularly at first.

I like singlets over shorts for the sweat/slippage qualities.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 05:32:27 PM »
Kids should be able to use both if it bothers them that much. However I think fight shorts look dumb and are restrictive.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline SingletSlinger

• World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 11:19:54 AM »
The kids using the singlet excuse will just find another one to use if we change. On top of that no matter the change it will need to be tight fitting, thus fat kids will still hate it.
Bunch of snowflakes run this board, sad how the mods cater to people that support one political party.

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 12:02:22 PM »
We practice in gym shorts and t shirts, there is no reason why some modern combination can't be designed for competition.

Offline SingletSlinger

• World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 08:37:12 AM »
We practice in gym shorts and t shirts, there is no reason why some modern combination can't be designed for competition.
We talkin' about practice?

In practice you don't have a ref looking for a crucial pin. I would not want my kid called pinned because his shirt is too loose and it's touching the ground.  You will NEED something tight fitting unless of course you want a drastic increase in pins.
Bunch of snowflakes run this board, sad how the mods cater to people that support one political party.

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 08:56:18 AM »
We talkin' about practice?

In practice you don't have a ref looking for a crucial pin. I would not want my kid called pinned because his shirt is too loose and it's touching the ground.  You will NEED something tight fitting unless of course you want a drastic increase in pins.

They would go tight fitting rash guards for the top. Similar to doublets back in the day
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline NDKnowledge

• OW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 10:51:21 AM »
Our school district has gone through some major changes over the past month as we opened up a new building and did some redistribution of grades going from two to three buildings total. As a result, I was moved from being a 7-12 grade teacher to now teaching 4-6 grade. I figured there was no better time than the present to do a wrestling unit in PE as our Pee Wee wrestling program is just starting up. Overall it has been a huge success and kids all over the building are raving about wrestling! However, there have been a couple of things that have come up as very big points of concern:

1- Do boys have to wrestle girls?
2- Do we have to wear those funny looking uniforms?

Those are the two biggest negative connotations that concern kids about the sport of wrestling right now. As a high school coach who was in a high school building up until last month I recruited the hallways hard and the singlet issue was the number one sticking point for many kids. I'm not saying that if they change the rule and allow for shorts/t-shirts that these same kids won't come up with a new excuse, but at the time being, singlets are the number one excuse I hear for why kids don't want to wrestle.

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 03:20:10 PM »
Shorts and tight under armour/rash guard shirts could work.  Wrestling is a tradition entrenched sport but uniforms should not be a sticking point for participation.  I am ok with getting rid of the singlet.

Offline SingletSlinger

• World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 03:24:06 PM »
The simple truth is you will see minimum impact on participation numbers changing from the singlet.

Practices will still be hard
Kids will still need to watch their weight
Matches will be still be hard
Kids still won't like going out one on one

95% of the kids that say the singlet is the reason will come up with ANOTHER reason if we change.

I'm not against the change, but I don't see it having much of an affect as some claim. The singlet is the easiest way out of the sport, changing it will require a little more creativity from the kids to get out of wrestling.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 12:49:30 AM »
The kids using the singlet as the reason for not coming out, will just have another excuse. Rash guards are dumb IMO.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 05:02:24 PM »
when I was at Jamestown there was a window where we were actually allowed to use freestyle singlets for a season.  it was crazy!  then suddenly the coaches changed their minds again and we had to go back to the traditional route.  I liked the freestyle ones personally and continued to use them at Opens.

until you've had your wrist trapped in shorts or a shirt and damn near lost an arm or broken a finger, you'll never understand how dumb it is to wear them at a competition level.  I'm not a big fan of the fightshorts/skintight shirt, but what the heck?  They will essentially just be more coverage but still a singlet.
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 04:10:32 AM »
Brought up using a rash guard/fight shorts as our official uniform. Only negative feedback was that a long-sleeve rash guard would make it harder for an opponent to grab a wrist.

If a short-sleeved rash-guard is used, there doesn't seem to be an issue.

BJJ is rather popular here. A handful of our kids were introduced to wrestling due to BJJ. Plus, it would be a cool way to give homage to the local community.

Plus, kids can switch from both sports to keep them from getting burnt out