Author Topic: Books I've read or something like that  (Read 707 times)

Offline lkwdsteve

• World Champ
    • View Profile
Books I've read or something like that
« on: February 09, 2016, 09:39:41 AM »
Bestseller Book Notes

A couple of books that I have thoroughly enjoyed:
"I Am Pilgrim" by Terry Hayes
"Red Sparrow" by Jason Matthews

Pilgrim seemed like a stand alone while Sparrow would be ripe for a sequel. Still, there is a thread or two for a Pilgrim future. I just know how he could possible top what he already accomplished.

I was curious if someone would pick up the "Mitch Rapp" mantle of deceased author Vince Flynn. Apparently this has been done and a hardback is now out in stores, "Survivor", by Kyle Mills. I (a cheap bastard) look forward to the paperback addition.

Mark Greaney continues to do a credible job advancing Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series, with Jack Junior prominent.

Meanwhile author Lee Child, and his Jack Reacher, and the rest of us, get older and lament losing steps while still fashioning victories.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Books I've read or something like that
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 10:54:51 AM »
I've read most of the Mitch Rapp books and all of the Jack Reacher books except for the last one.  I was a big Clancy fan, but I think his best work was early and got worse with the co-authorships.

I'm not a big fan of dead author books but Ace Adkins does a good job with the Spenser character originally written by Robert Parker.

It seems we may have some similar tastes so I'll go ahead and recommend the Prey series by John Sanford.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 05:42:56 PM »
Storm of Steel Ernst Junger

The Year of the Horsetails R.F. Tapsell

Eric Bright Eyes - H. Rider Haggard

The Long Ships - Frans Bengtsson
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 12:13:52 PM »
One of my former students recently published his first book.  If you like comic books/superhero genre:

http://www.amazon.com/Memoirs-Crimefighter-Seth-Jacob-ebook/dp/B00QD3ORSY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1455125107&sr=8-5&keywords=seth+jacob

Offline lkwdsteve

• World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 03:31:16 PM »
Delighted to see that "Red Sparrow" has been made into a movie and will be released March 2nd. I look forward to seeing how it will deal with the fact that she is a synesthete.

As expected, Matthews wrote a sequel, "Palace of Treason". Alas, it's not as good as the first (IMO).

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 05:54:44 PM »
I read a book called 1491  by Charles Mann.   A look at the history of the Americas from way back when until Columbus arrived.  I don't usually read much but I liked it.

mspart

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 08:54:52 PM »
Just read, Who Killed Honor Bright? Seems William Butler Yates mistress was murdered, the chief suspect? Yates wife and the head of the Irish Justice Department! Awesome story!
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb