Author Topic: Question on Potentially dangerous calls  (Read 1045 times)

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Question on Potentially dangerous calls
« on: February 22, 2016, 07:43:10 am »
So this was a really tight quarterfinal match involving the undefeated first ranked wrestler (Wrestler A) in the state and the eventual state champion (Wrestler B). The whole match was full of questionable judgement calls but those are by definition always controversial.

What I wanted to ask was after a phantom point that I'm still not sure what the call was Wrestler A found himself down two points to zero 30 seconds into the third. Wrestler B throws boots in and tries to lock up a crucifix to stall out the period. Wrestler B pushes the arm to the point that it is standard to call potentially dangerous. The ref makes the potentially dangerous signal but then doesn't blow the whistle. This eats up about 45 seconds off the clock and then the ref makes the potentially dangerous signal again and then blows the whistle. Wrestler A eventually gets the escape but with virtually no time left on the clock to get off an effective attack.

Anyway is a ref supposed to make a potentially dangerous call but not stop the action?
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
Re: Question on Potentially dangerous calls
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 09:29:55 am »
I've seen some officials use that mechanic to indicate they are watching a particular hold.  Potentially dangerous doesn't necessarily mean the bout needs to be stopped.  As an example, by the rules book ALL front headlocks are considered potentially dangerous.  Now ALL of them are not stopped; it just means the official should be paying a great deal of attention to the particular situation.  Potentially dangerous stoppage or continuation still relies on an official's judgement

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 11:20:48 am »
I've seen some officials use that mechanic to indicate they are watching a particular hold.  Potentially dangerous doesn't necessarily mean the bout needs to be stopped.  As an example, by the rules book ALL front headlocks are considered potentially dangerous.  Now ALL of them are not stopped; it just means the official should be paying a great deal of attention to the particular situation.  Potentially dangerous stoppage or continuation still relies on an official's judgement

Thank you for the clarification
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 11:29:18 am »
In my opinion is it bad mechanics to signal PD, if you're not going to call it while signaling.
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 11:32:00 am »
In my opinion is it bad mechanics to signal PD, if you're not going to call it while signaling.

Ditto.