Author Topic: RDA is Out  (Read 3206 times)

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
RDA is Out
« on: February 23, 2016, 06:56:23 pm »
Hope McGregor can fight Ferguson. Looks like he isn't fighting Khabib, Aldo, or Edgar.

I have almost no interest whatsoever in seeing him fight Diaz or Cerrone. Those would both be jokes.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: RDA is Out
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 10:47:25 pm »
https://twitter.com/TeamKhabib/status/702222770642382848

khabib nurmagomedovVerified account
‏@TeamKhabib
UFC does not want me to fight Connor because they said the time I fought was 2 thousand years ago and I fought Bears!!!
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 10:51:35 pm »
Khabib would be way too risky for the UFC  to chance it on.  They've had a bad enough run of the poster fighters getting beat. 
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 10:57:16 pm »
Nate Diaz, non-title, @170
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 11:03:05 pm by fuhr »

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 09:12:36 pm »
Nate Diaz, non-title, @170

Too bad. If not Khabib then I was hoping for McGregor vs. Ferguson and then they easily could have found somebody else to fight Khabib in April.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 10:34:52 pm »
170!

How much does that guy cut?

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 09:27:18 am »
Yawn
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 07:25:48 am »
Yup. This should be a quick one. I don't even know if I'm going to go out and watch it.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 02:34:08 pm »
Really?  I dont' think Diaz wins but he's got a chin and will stand and bang, and his chin has showed no real signs of going yet.   I think it could be a really entertaining fight, possibly one sided, but fun.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 07:50:39 pm »
I'll be stunned if McG ever fights at 145 again, this weigh in pic is almost disturbing

145 on top, 170 on bottom

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 08:08:52 pm »
The photos are good, but a better representation would be cage side vs weigh in. To me, Conor looks the same (or real close to it) at 170 as he did at cage side at 145. He never looked that sucked at cage side. I also worry about him getting caught by Diaz. Diaz runs triathlons and fights heavier than Conor. He's a big boy. We'll see how Conor takes a shot from a big man, I think Diaz's comment regarding Conor fighting midgets has some degree of validity, I don't know how he'll hold up to shots to the head from a natural 190 pounder.
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 08:16:30 pm »
The photos are good, but a better representation would be cage side vs weigh in. To me, Conor looks the same (or real close to it) at 170 as he did at cage side at 145. He never looked that sucked at cage side.

Your argument would assume that his body takes no toll from cutting that much, which is why I don't care about a cage side weigh in.  Weight cutting is part of the sport, if you suck down too much, even if rehydrated with an IV, there is going to be an adverse effect on your training leading up to the fight and your condition.  Heard today to get to 145 McG started limited water intake 10 days out of the fight.  THat is absolute insanity.  I'm surprised the guy didn't fall over on the scales come weigh in.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 08:32:23 pm »
So.....a guy I knows is a world class Powerlifter (triple body weight bench circa 1995), he tells me he's seen a world class PL barely able to make it on the scales for weigh in......same guy shows up a day later and shatters world records.....healthy as a horse. With all due respect (and I mean that) the extreme dehydration/hydration thing has a long history outside of wrestling/boxing. It is now in MMA/BOXING/WRESTLING I'm sure. Consider, another friend of mine fought for a major title in AC, when I asked him how much he was over the weight limit at fight time he told me up to seven pounds over the weight limit! He was talking like he got over big time. How many guys are only over seven pounds at fight time now? Cage side weigh ins are a must.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 09:07:21 pm »
weigh ins are part of the sport and a cage side weigh in holds zero interest for me as a fan.  Simply don't care. 

Impressive thing the power lifter did, I've heard fighters interviewed that say it's endurance, not strength, that gives them the problems when they suck that much weight.  So, for some, maybe cutting an extra 10 lbs and being 15+ over is a huge advantage, and for others it would be a detriment.  Cage side weigh ins are NOT a must, and based on the continued success of MMA there is little evidence to the contrary.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 09:22:56 pm »
As long as people are indifferent to a 170 pound man fighting a 155 pound man, you are right. People couldn't care less. When the 170 pounder cripples the 155/145 pounder, people may start to care. MMA will not survive something like this. Weight cutting has never been this extreme, the testing for plastics is proof enough of this. In all probability this whole Conor shebang is because he will not be able to make 145 as the testing severity increases. In all likelihood weight classes will be reorganized along boxing lines and everyone will end up where they belong.