Author Topic: RDA is Out  (Read 3608 times)

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: RDA is Out
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 09:41:42 pm »
I dont' foresee MMA ever having as many weight classes as boxing, it's been introduced before and soundly blasted.  Why, in your scenario, is only one person cutting weight?  Why is one guy 170 and the other 155?  Weight cutting, managing, gaining muscle, is all part of the sport, guys make decisions accordingly. 

A death in MMA would certainly hurt the sport, but PEDs are a much greater concern if someone were to die, than one fighter weighing more than the other.  By your rationale HWT should only have a 10 lbs window.
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 10:02:24 pm »

Brett Okamoto ‏@bokamotoESPN  27s28 seconds ago
Conor McGregor nets $1 million disclosed purse at UFC 196, per NSAC docs. Diaz pay is $500k, no win bonus. Holm, $500k no bonus.

Pretty accepted that McGregor gets PPV points as well, rumored Diaz may have been able to negotiate that as well for the short notice.  Good for them.
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 10:06:35 am »

Brett Okamoto ‏@bokamotoESPN  27s28 seconds ago
Conor McGregor nets $1 million disclosed purse at UFC 196, per NSAC docs. Diaz pay is $500k, no win bonus. Holm, $500k no bonus.

Pretty accepted that McGregor gets PPV points as well, rumored Diaz may have been able to negotiate that as well for the short notice.  Good for them.

Good on all of them. It is really nice though to see Diaz make some good money.
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2016, 08:47:04 am »

A death in MMA would certainly hurt the sport, but PEDs are a much greater concern if someone were to die, than one fighter weighing more than the other.  By your rationale HWT should only have a 10 lbs window.

But a guy did die recently trying to make weight for a ONE FC card. He did not die due to the fight, but trying to cut as much weight as possible so that he could outweigh and opponent come fight time.

If a death happens in the UFC, I would not doubt if it happens on the way to the scales, as opposed to being beat in the "ring."

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2016, 08:48:21 am »
So, it takes pot a month to get out of your system.  Diaz took the fight on two weeks notice.

If he fails his drug test for pot, will it be a No Contest?

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2016, 08:52:39 am »
The photos are good, but a better representation would be cage side vs weigh in. To me, Conor looks the same (or real close to it) at 170 as he did at cage side at 145. He never looked that sucked at cage side. I also worry about him getting caught by Diaz. Diaz runs triathlons and fights heavier than Conor. He's a big boy. We'll see how Conor takes a shot from a big man, I think Diaz's comment regarding Conor fighting midgets has some degree of validity, I don't know how he'll hold up to shots to the head from a natural 190 pounder.

I'm not convinced that Conor was outweighed that much (or at all) by Diaz.

Until the UFC does what HBO boxing does by having the guys weigh-in within the locker room to show "in ring weight", we have no idea what they weigh come fight time.

Who's to say that Conor didn't purposely weigh in two pounds under the weigh limit to play the "I'm the smaller fighter tonight" card, that just shows you how tough I am. But in reality, the two men could have been the same weight come fight time.

Both men looked like actual welterweights in there. By eyeing them, neither looked that different size wise.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 09:14:25 am »
The photos are good, but a better representation would be cage side vs weigh in. To me, Conor looks the same (or real close to it) at 170 as he did at cage side at 145. He never looked that sucked at cage side. I also worry about him getting caught by Diaz. Diaz runs triathlons and fights heavier than Conor. He's a big boy. We'll see how Conor takes a shot from a big man, I think Diaz's comment regarding Conor fighting midgets has some degree of validity, I don't know how he'll hold up to shots to the head from a natural 190 pounder.

Until the UFC does what HBO boxing does by having the guys weigh-in within the locker room to show "in ring weight", we have no idea what they weigh come fight time.

Who's to say that Conor didn't purposely weigh in two pounds under the weigh limit to play the "I'm the smaller fighter tonight" card, that just shows you how tough I am. But in reality, the two men could have been the same weight come fight time.

Both men looked like actual welterweights in there. By eyeing them, neither looked that different size wise.

You may of misunderstood me, I believe Conor fights very much over the limit and against smaller men, when he's at 145. I was trying to say I think that advantage is gone and now he's fighting a much bigger man (when you weigh 170 when competing in triathalons you're really a much bigger person than the scale indicates). Conor is going up, Diaz coming down. Conor can't just not cut weight and compete at 170, he looked gassed to me at the end of the first,
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 09:48:53 am »
I smell what you're cooking

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 12:43:25 pm »
That looks awful.  If I ever weigh 145 again, I would be in the hospital.

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2016, 01:11:36 pm »

You may of misunderstood me, I believe Conor fights very much over the limit and against smaller men, when he's at 145. I was trying to say I think that advantage is gone and now he's fighting a much bigger man (when you weigh 170 when competing in triathalons you're really a much bigger person than the scale indicates). Conor is going up, Diaz coming down. Conor can't just not cut weight and compete at 170, he looked gassed to me at the end of the first,

As far as size, they more than likely weighed about the same on fight night. Diaz being longer and Conor being more developed.
When all else fails, do the opposite...