Author Topic: Just a rant towards a new official  (Read 1382 times)

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Just a rant towards a new official
« on: March 06, 2016, 10:02:53 am »
It was an offseason tournament so I had to keep telling myself not to get too upset but the ref I had to deal with yesterday was in way over his head. I was coaching Team Kentucky so I arrived at the match a little late, this becomes important later.

I come over to ask a question over why he didn't award my wrestler back points off of his textbook wing finish. He first tells me that he didn't brea 45 degrees which I point out is impossible because the defending wrestler's back was parallel to the mat, the only point he could argue was that it was more than two inches off the mat. He then changes his argument to my wrestler didn't have control, he did it was a textbook wing and wrist finish, but what set me off was that he changed his argument. After he does this the ref says "I'm done" and walks away. As I'm walking back to my corner the other coach pats me on the back and says not to expect much since the ref gave his wrestler a takedown and when the scorekeepers forgot to put it on the scoreboard the ref just decided he must've never awarded the takedown.

Later on in the match there's a case of my wrestler either getting a reversal or escape off of a switch out of bounds that was at least loss of control. When the ref brings them back to the middle and puts my guy back beneath one of the other coaches watching the match shouts "that's at least one!" I told him I wasn't going to bother arguing since this was obviously a first year ref.

The rest of the match ends with a couple non-calls for takedowns and backs for both guys. My guy loses the match by two points. Thankfully he reacted exactly like I told him to react and ends up seeing the same wrestler for 3rd place at the tournament and pins him. I just wanted him to have a chance to wrestle the guy who eventually won it because it would've been a good match for him.
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
Re: Just a rant towards a new official
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 06:13:39 pm »
the only point he could argue was that it was more than two inches off the mat.

Near fall criteria is less than 4 inches.

I would just remember that every official needs to start somewhere.  Perhaps he was over his head, I don't know.  He may end up becoming one of the better ones.  I can say after my first season, I almost quit because I thought I was pretty horrible.  A mentor of mine (who was a high school coach and NCAA referee) talked me off the ledge.  I was over my head and didn't know it.  I learned from that experience and I like to think I improved a great deal but I needed that crappy experience to improve.

Offline chambers

• Junior High
    • View Profile
Re: Just a rant towards a new official
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 01:01:54 am »
FalconWrestlingKY, I took my team to a dual tournament in Louisville  two years ago. We were in the round where if we won we would win our pool. My team was cheering to loudly and the ref told me he would take  a team point if they did not stop cheering. I asked if they were saying anything out of line or swearing. He said no they are just to loud and excited. That guy was not a new official.