Author Topic: Grade your team's conference performance.  (Read 6341 times)

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
Grade your team's conference performance.
« on: March 06, 2016, 07:11:47 PM »
Didn't watch UNI, so I'll grade Iowa.

Gilman:  F - Not based on performance, but because he forced thousands to have to sit through a Nico Megaludis match during the finals.
Clark:  A - As solid a tournament as anyone.
Grothus: D - Wrestled hard, but couldn't get through the 1 and 2 seeds.
Sorensen:  B+ - He wrestled as well as he could.  Retherford dominated him even though he didn't put up a lot of points.  Sorensen is just hard to score on.
Cooper:  C - Met expectations, but in no way exceeded them.
Rhoads:  C+ - Nothing great, but wrestled better than I thought he would.
Meyer:  D - Looked awful.  R12 guy I think, but he could do better (or worse).
Brooks:  A+ -  The plus is for the mullet.
Burak:  A- - Just couldn't break through
Stoll:  n/a - Nothing to grade.  Looks like Gwiaz ended his season in the dual.
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Re: Grade your team's conference performance.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 07:36:24 PM »
Rutgers - Better than anyone inside and outside Carver Hawk expected and I'll leave it at that.

Offline tigerfan

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 09:19:20 AM »
Mizzou:

McGhee A - Solid win over Peters in the finals.  If he wrestles like that 4 times, he'll AA.
Synon F - His slide continues.  Weight cut, injury, lack of confidence from getting spanked by Eierman everyday, who knows?
Manley B - Looks great, out physical-ed Horan.  How bad is he hurt?  If he's no worse than all season, he'll AA.
Mayes F - Let's people stall and hang around too long.  Is he really hurt, or just pouting?  if this poor performance lights a fire ala Matt Pell in 2007, He'll probably be top 4, if not he could miss.
Barnes A - Everyone continues to sleep on Barnes.  If he doesn't get a seed, he's gonna ruin someone's day in the first round.
Lewis A - I think he makes the semis and finishes top 6 for sure.
Butler B+ - Ottinger's only rival for stalling is Walters, and Butler found ways to beat them both.  He finishes top 6.
Miklus C+ - His injury is clearly hampering his neutral offense.  Not sure what to make of his chances.  Could be top 6, could miss altogether.
Cox A - is toying with everyone.  Can't wait for MM to rediscover why he's not in Cox's league.
Because they stand on a wall.  And they say nothin\'s gonna hurt you tonight....not on my watch.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 09:34:47 AM »

Didn't watch UNI, so I'll grade Iowa.

Gilman:  F - Not based on performance, but because he forced thousands to have to sit through a Nico Megaludis match during the finals.
I'm going to give him a D+.  He wrestled back to seed.  He should have been in finals, but instead was an idiot.  I hope he somehow ends up a 4 seed on Tomasello's side.
Clark:  A - As solid a tournament as anyone.
A - didn't blow my doors off, but didn't make a single mistake that would have ended his day.  He is as good as anyone at this weight including Nashon.  Avenged his lone loss to Richards should be the 2
Grothus: D - Wrestled hard, but couldn't get through the 1 and 2 seeds.
F - I'm not going to say he singlehandedly sank the outside chance the Hawks had, but
Sorensen:  B+ - He wrestled as well as he could.  Retherford dominated him even though he didn't put up a lot of points.  Sorensen is just hard to score on.
B - At least he didn't get majored or teched like a lot of the PSU predictions
Cooper:  C - Met expectations, but in no way exceeded them.
Spot on.  Didn't nothing more or less than I expected from him
Rhoads:  C+ - Nothing great, but wrestled better than I thought he would.
B+ He went from having 0 shot at Nationals to being one of those last few guys who might earn a wildcard
Meyer:  D - Looked awful.  R12 guy I think, but he could do better (or worse).
I'm not going to argue with this one either.  God he didn't just wrestle bad at times, he looked terrible
Brooks:  A+ -  The plus is for the mullet.
When this kid is on he is On!
Burak:  A- - Just couldn't break through
He has to be on Cox side at Nationals ... but he earned an A- grade for avenging a loss and making the finals and keeping it close
Stoll:  n/a - Nothing to grade.  Looks like Gwiaz ended his season in the dual.
C   -I was hoping he'd just show and then forfeit.  He gets the C for effort
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline Gantry

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 10:12:18 AM »
I hope he somehow ends up a 4 seed on Tomasello's side.[/color]

I can't see any scenario where he isn't the #4 seed, but who knows anymore with the goofy "analytical" seeding they do now. 

NIU qualified 4 wrestlers for nationals and had their first MAC champ since 2011, who was a #6 seed to boot.  Bleise takes 3rd in a hammer of a 141 bracket and majored Horan, can't be upset with the way he wrestled.  Quite possibly the best day of Huskie wrestling in the Ludwig era, kudos to coach for having his guys ready. 

Offline Gantry

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 10:13:04 AM »
Lets try that again, this is why you preview messages:

I hope he somehow ends up a 4 seed on Tomasello's side.

I can't see any scenario where he isn't the #4 seed, but who knows anymore with the goofy "analytical" seeding they do now. 

NIU qualified 4 wrestlers for nationals and had their first MAC champ since 2011, who was a #6 seed to boot.  Bleise takes 3rd in a hammer of a 141 bracket and majored Horan, can't be upset with the way he wrestled.  Quite possibly the best day of Huskie wrestling in the Ludwig era, kudos to coach for having his guys ready. 

Offline azzy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 10:46:08 AM »
Megaludis: A - Took advantage of Gilman's mistake, has two 1 pt losses to Tomasello (both on counter takedowns), I like his chances to beat Dance if they meet as the 2 and 3 seeds

Conaway: B - Looked better the second time around vs Taylor, should be an AA

Gulibon: B - Avenged 2 previous losses, still too inconsistent

Retherford: A - Did what he's done all year, solid win vs Sorensen

Nolf: A - Totally dominant until match vs Imar, great final between 2 very talented wrestlers (I had Imar the takedown - replay mistake)

Morelli: C - Beat who he should have beat, lost balance vs. Rhoads and gavr up deciding takedown

Nickal: A+ - Really got after everyone he wrestled

McCutcheon: C - Was not aggressive enough with his leg shots, spent too much time hanging around in tie ups

McIntosh: B - Great start in first 2 rounds getting big bonus pts, stopped wrestling vs Burak once he got the lead

Nevills: B - Gave it a try, couldn't finish shots (lost on counter takedowns)

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 12:51:58 PM »
Klimara B+
You can't give up those last second points

Harding A
Harding is someone like Boyd who will make a boneheaded decision wrestling wise but just put forth so much hustle he makes up for it. I showed his match against Moore to one of my wrestlers pointing out how Harding wrestled through every position and even when I thought he was caught he found a way to score. Not the cleanest wrestler by any means, but I think he is capable of beating anyone.

Heil B-
He needs to open up otherwise he will go the route of Jamal Parks and keeping matches close will come back to bite him

Collica A
Looks like Collica is peaking at exactly the right time. Maybe this is the tournament he finally breaks through that wall and wrestles to his talent level

Smith A-
Can he pull off what his dad couldn't do and AA as a freshman?

Dieringer C+
My expectations for Dieringer every match is so high that the fact he only beat Weatherman by two is very disappointing.

Rogers B-
He is coming in and doing well as a last second replacement but we expected a title out of him

Boyd A+
I've never been the biggest Boyd fan but if he keeps his mistakes to a minimum he is a very dangerous wrestler. Capable of winning the who darn thing, also capable of going 1-2

Weigal A
He wrestled an amazing tournament. Never expected him to come out with a title this weekend. Real interesting to see how far this momentum carries him into nationals

Marsden B
Didn't do anything to impress me
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 05:56:18 PM »
Rutgers - Better than anyone inside and outside Carver Hawk expected and I'll leave it at that.

What can I say, Rutgers qualified 9 of 10 for the Championship.  Penn State and North Carolina State managed to qualify 8.  Only Oklahoma State and Nebraska qualified their  full rosters 10 man rosters.

Offline riddleofsteel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 02:57:43 PM »
Cal Poly - replacing paper bag on head with plastic bag.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 05:45:25 PM »
Millhof - A-  Proved his upset of Klimura was no fluke.

Brewer A+ Outstanding wrestler award. Hard to find fault here

Blackwell C+  Won 2 matches and placed 4th above 6th seed but got stuck in :29 in conso semi-finals

Jeffries B+ I dont give A's for second place, but he did place above his seed and is a true frosh, so his future is bright

WIngbermuehle - F-  I dont even want to talk about this guy.

Glass C-  Placed third which was his seed, but did qualify

Reed D  Placed 3rd (from a #2 seed) after getting the medical forfeit win in the Conso finals. He also qualified

Dixon D-  Seeded 6th but didnt place in a weak weight, didnt qualify

Johnson D- Seeded 7th or 8th and didnt place, didnt qualify

Larson D  Placed 3rd from the second seed, but did qualify.

Overall grade, C- The only reason this wasnt a D is because ISU proved even more futile
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline goStanford18

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 05:58:52 PM »
Schram A+

Won his first Pac-12 Title by defeating Oregon State's Ronnie Bresser for the second time this season.  3 of his 5 losses this season were in OT to Moisey (twice) and Kilmara. His other two losses were against Lizak and Megaludis. You can be the judge of those results, but I think Schram's had himself a very solid season. His ceiling is 5th place at Nationals. He's right there with the 2nd tier of 125: Kilmara, Peters, Bresser etc. Moving down to 125 was definitely the right move.

Pengilly N/A

Can't really judge one's performance when they're wrestling hurt. Pengilly has had himself a rough season and placed 5th at the Conference tournament. He will  undergo surgery very soon.

McKenna A

Solid in every position. Still needs to work his turns and finishes. By his Junior year, I'd expect him to be scoring bonus in most of his matches. He's our Golden boy and I think he'll have the best wrestling careers Stanford has seen.

Pawelski C+

Hard to be critical of a back-up who probably has no business wrestling at 149. He kept it close against much bigger opponents.

Russo C-

Same as above. I give him a C for effort. Russo is a 41 lber and as no business wrestling at 157. It clearly showed as he got hammered.

Wilson A

Wilson battled through an injury he received earlier in the tournament. Happy to see Wilson become our first 3x Conference Champ. He has all the tools to place very high on the podium. He's majored Ethan Ramos in the past and owns victories over many ranked guys.

Subjeck A+

Wrestled way above his seed and nearly had Hammond again. Pinned his true 2nd placement match to punch his ticket to the NCAAs. 174 lbers should beware of his headlock.

Krohn A

I'm very happy to see him receive an At-Large bid. Krohn wrestles everybody tough, and he should be able to score a point or two at the NCAAs.

Nevills C

He's smaller than all 3 of his younger brothers. He is also an 84lber. Too small for 197.

Butler B+

Defeated Hall again for the 2nd time this season. No idea what happened in the finals. He wrestled Dhesi close in the dual, but that conference final was something else. Hoping the result was just an anomaly.

Overall Grade: B

The Cardinal are sending a record 6 wrestlers to the NCAAs. I believe this number would be 7 if Paul Fox had not hurt his knee a few weeks ago. We've dealt with a lot of injuries this season, but a few weights still have some questions marks.

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 06:12:59 PM »
Lehigh:  B

125:  Cruz :  A  , will place just a question of how high.

133:  Beckman:  B, better effort but who knows where his head will be at MSG.

141:  Cruz:  B, matchup nightmare for someone, outside shot at placing

149:  Gardner:  B , outside shot at placing

157:  Brown:  C, finished 7th , did not qualify

165:  Preisch:  B, wrestling with a broken ankle.  Won't do much at nationals.

174;  Wolfe:  B , grabbed a bid, 2 and barbecue

184:  Brown:  D, lost 2x, looked like crap.  Not sure what happens at MSG

197:  Bolich:  B-, qualified, 2 and barbecue

285:  Wessell:  A+  Dark horse to get to finals .  Mini Lesnar.
We are the storm.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 07:17:58 PM »
What can I say, Rutgers qualified 9 10 of 10 for the Championship.  Penn State and Iowa North Carolina State managed to qualify 8 9.  Only Oklahoma State and Nebraska qualified their  full rosters 10 man rosters.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 07:19:54 PM »
Quote from: buck link=topic=34592.msg493439#msg493439 date=1457478779

Lehigh:  B

[/quote

Too bad Minotti couldn't make it back.