Author Topic: photo booth  (Read 4124 times)

Offline Brew

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Gantry

• National Champ
    • View Profile
Re: photo booth
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 10:04:59 PM »
That's pretty cool, but to me they are clearly using some sort of lighting/filtering on those photos. 

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 10:14:26 PM »
Man, more like mug shots from murder's row. 

They were all taken right after a bout on the way back to the locker room.

Offline Brew

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 12:19:01 AM »
I stole this from tikk10 over at FOS...
They shot these shortly after each of the wrestlers came off the mat, and the photographer had a makeshift studio set up in the hallway. Just had them all stand on the same x and used the same lighting for each. Here's a photo of the shot of Morgan as it was occurring, taken by another pro photographer. Low speed for the tight grain, shot wide open for the thin depth of field. And then, from the RAW file, in Photoshop, the photographer pushed the "clarity" to the extreme, which has the effect of revealing all the bumps, scrapes, and bruises. Sort of like the opposite of the classic vaseline-on-the-lens trick actresses from the 40s and 50s relied on to get that glowy glamour look. (If you push the "clarity" filter in the opposite direction, you achieve that glowy look instead.)
So no, it's definitely not what the naked eye sees (compare pic of Morgan in link above to Morgan in pictorial), but it's not exactly untrue either because he's not adding in anything that isn't already there; it's heightened reality. He came in with a concept and executed it well. If you have a fixed idea about what photography is supposed to be, you're not going to like these. This guy isn't the guy you want shooting your wedding. But I think these are pretty great in their own right.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 07:26:33 AM »

This guy isn't the guy you want shooting your wedding. But I think these are pretty great in their own right.

If he can amplify the effect to accentuate the grittiness, I'm sure he can make an uggo appear to be an angel.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 11:25:21 AM »
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Snackem

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
    • Jeremy Lanthorn Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 01:14:46 PM »
I did something simaliar at our district and State meets.  You can do a lot with just the way you light the athletes and just a little bit of editing.

http://www.jeremylanthorn.com/20152016-Sports-and-Events/Wrestling/5A-Special-District-4-portraits/i-fZzvGfL

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 04:44:29 PM »
Nice photography Snacks.

Offline Snackem

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
    • Jeremy Lanthorn Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 01:18:27 AM »
Thanks, they were a lot of fun to take, I'm already thinking of how to do them better/different next year.  I might try them in color, I'm not sure.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 01:23:02 AM »
Nice photography Snacks.

Snacks takes some great pics. Got a great one of my oldest boy hanging up in my store now. Took another one of my second oldest after his semis match this year too.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."